Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hurricane (Now Tropical Storm) Lane - August 2018

Hurricane (Now Tropical Storm) Lane - August 2018

Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
If you were planning to visit the East side of the Big Island or Hilo, you may want to delay your plans, but otherwise the west side of the Big Island seems to have been unaffected for the most part by the storm, went to Ali'i Drive today, and all the shops were open.

Maui also suffered through some significant rainfall, Oahu perhaps not as much.
Thanks for the information. Guess we'll stick with Big Island and see where it's at when we land this upcoming weekend.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by transconsan
Thanks for the information. Guess we'll stick with Big Island and see where it's at when we land this upcoming weekend.
Maui will be fine as well. No major flooding that I’ve heard of. Power was still out in parts of Lahaina yesterday from the generator that blew up and started the brush fire. Business as usual otherwise.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
As Arthurrs said it was mainly a East Hawaii event but areas to the north including Hawi did get hit with pretty massive rain. Not sure where you had planned on staying but Kona north to Kawaihae and south to nearly Ocean View is fine. Waimea is OK as well with no major flooding that I had heard of but did not get up there during the storms.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
As Arthurrs said it was mainly a East Hawaii event but areas to the north including Hawi did get hit with pretty massive rain. Not sure where you had planned on staying but Kona north to Kawaihae and south to nearly Ocean View is fine. Waimea is OK as well with no major flooding that I had heard of but did not get up there during the storms.
Mainly hiking around the island and visiting the observatory. Was concerned about the road conditions in general.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The weather this week on the west side (Fairmont) is stunning! Some of the best we’ve had but very warm and humid. Still some rain around upcountry and probably east side too. Saddle Road (fastest route) to Hilo is fine (per staff) but the road that goes over the north side had some issues with landslides.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Indeed, it has been absolutely amazing here at Fairmont Orchid, we just wanted to stay here and not venture out as much. Very quiet and peaceful here as well! Don't want to leave for home tomorrow!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.