Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane (Now Tropical Storm) Lane - August 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I’ve been watching KHON’s live stream; they are doing a great job on their coverage: https://www.khon2.com/live-stream
jspira and 747FC like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by curl
We are headed to KOA Saturday night. All word from the west side (Kohala area) so far is good. FS Hualalai was live on Facebook last night - looked overcast and calm -- and guest reports from Fairmont Orchid indicated a little rain. I've not seen cancellations on DL into or out of KOA so far.
UA has delayed flights into KOA and rain and wind now picking up on the WEST side of the Island now. Looking to see if the delayed AM flight into KOA has left SFO/LAX yet?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I think for now, the Maui Beach Hotel would say that the coconut is MOVING and WET but still there...
jspira likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:43 pm

Heavy wind and plenty of downed branches in Ka’anapali, but no rain overnight. Friday morning is very smokey from a fire that broke out in Lahaina, and apparently a smaller one in Ka’anapali. The road to the airport is closed and people seem to be hoping for some rain, as the fire now poses a bigger threat than the hurricane.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Currently a Category 2 storm, moving at only 2 mph. Tropical storm warning for the Big Island. Hurricane warnings for Maui and Oahu. Hurricane watch for Kauai.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
UA has delayed flights into KOA and rain and wind now picking up on the WEST side of the Island now. Looking to see if the delayed AM flight into KOA has left SFO/LAX yet?
i haven’t checked UA, but Delta SEA-KOA is on time and boarding now.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Lane is weakening but still going very slow. Rain, rain, rain and rain. Meaning flooding. Winds may not be so much a damaging part of this storm as flooding.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Left LIH at noon today, a bit rainy in Lihue this morning, maybe a bit breezy! But nothing too unusual for the garden isle.

Flight LIH-KOA today was a bit bumpy at times, but uneventful. Kona was wet today, we had a brief break in the rain when we picked up the rental car. It rained on the way to Fairmont Orchid, the further north we went, the less rain. Hardly any breeze at all here. Storm? What Storm? Nevertheless, there were several restaurants that were closing early.

Went to Ali'i drive for a late lunch/early dinner at Fish Hopper, the waves were crashing on the seawall, making for some entertainment for the people on the sidewalk. More rain there, but tapered off in the evening.

So looks like I managed to completely avoid the ugly side of this storm, apparently Hilo side of the island has a lot of flooding and impassible roads. Hope the folk in Maui and Oahu don't get hit too hard.

Last edited by Arthurrs; Aug 24, 2018 at 10:40 pm
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Left LIH at noon today, a bit rainy in Lihue this morning, maybe a bit breezy! But nothing too unusual for the garden isle.

Flight LIH-KOA today was a bit bumpy at times, but uneventful. Kona was wet today, we had a brief break in the rain when we picked up the rental car. It rained on the way to Fairmont Orchid, the further north we went, the less rain. Hardly any breeze at all here. Storm? What Storm? Nevertheless, there were several restaurants that were closing early.

Went to Ali'i drive for a late lunch/early dinner at Fish Hopper, the waves were crashing on the seawall, making for some entertainment for the people on the sidewalk. More rain there, but tapered off in the evening.

So looks like I managed to completely avoid the ugly side of this storm, apparently Hilo side of the island has a lot of flooding and impassible roads. Hope the folk in Maui and Oahu don't get hit too hard.
@Arthurrs, so things are good at the Fairmont Orchid? That is where we are headed too I was worried about erosion on their beach and murky water.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I'm supposed to be heading to Lihue in about 10 days for a week. It looks like Kauai will mostly be spared but does anyone have any idea what the heavy rains will do to the trails and beaches? I remember when I first started planning this trip a few months ago some websites were mentioning how some of the hiking trails were closed due to heavier rains in the early summer/spring but they all had been cleaned up a few weeks ago. Will it still be worth it to go, or should I canx this one? Or are will still waiting to figure out the extent of any damage?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by curl
@Arthurrs, so things are good at the Fairmont Orchid? That is where we are headed too I was worried about erosion on their beach and murky water.
Everything is getting back to normal here at the Fairmont Orchid. Heavy rain last night, a few sprinkles this morning. Beach is awesome, they brought out all the chairs/loungers from storage early this morning! Loving this view from my Lanai! What a great hotel, I managed to redeem a bunch of fairmont platinum certs to upgrade from garden view room all the way to an oceanfront suite, along with a free night!!! Looking forward to a sunset dinner, the views with the departing clouds should be incredible!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RespectedPath
I'm supposed to be heading to Lihue in about 10 days for a week. It looks like Kauai will mostly be spared but does anyone have any idea what the heavy rains will do to the trails and beaches? I remember when I first started planning this trip a few months ago some websites were mentioning how some of the hiking trails were closed due to heavier rains in the early summer/spring but they all had been cleaned up a few weeks ago. Will it still be worth it to go, or should I canx this one? Or are will still waiting to figure out the extent of any damage?
I left Lihue yesterday, they seemed to have been spared completely from the storm, just a bit of rain that is not at all unusual at this time of year for the garden isle. The roads past princeville are still closed from last April's rain, but there are plenty of other places to hike on the island. Get yourself packing!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
I left Lihue yesterday, they seemed to have been spared completely from the storm, just a bit of rain that is not at all unusual at this time of year for the garden isle. The roads past princeville are still closed from last April's rain, but there are plenty of other places to hike on the island. Get yourself packing!
awesome! Thank you so much!! This has definitely relieved a lot of pre trip anxiety!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:13 pm

I'm slated to visit Big Island in the first week of September. Knowing the majority of the rain was received by Big Island, should I skip and go to Maui or Oahu instead?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transconsan
I'm slated to visit Big Island in the first week of September. Knowing the majority of the rain was received by Big Island, should I skip and go to Maui or Oahu instead?
If you were planning to visit the East side of the Big Island or Hilo, you may want to delay your plans, but otherwise the west side of the Big Island seems to have been unaffected for the most part by the storm, went to Ali'i Drive today, and all the shops were open.

Maui also suffered through some significant rainfall, Oahu perhaps not as much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.