Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Hector: Impact on Maui

Old Aug 6, 18, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold

Any local prognosis and/or precautions regarding the on-coming hurricane?
Old Aug 6, 18, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BH62 View Post
We like to watch LIVE STREAM - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL around 5 or 6pm HST. Live news & weather.

And http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/0...ntral-pacific/

Last edited by philemer; Aug 6, 18 at 7:54 pm
Old Aug 6, 18, 8:27 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
You can go to the source:

Central Pacific Hurricane Center - Honolulu, Hawai`i
Old Aug 6, 18, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
And you received an answer from someone who is there now on the other thread you started here Hurricane Hector: Impact on flights to Hawaii?. No need for two.
Old Aug 6, 18, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
And you received an answer from someone who is there now on the other thread you started here Hurricane Hector: Impact on flights to Hawaii?. No need for two.
Perhaps redundant, but I felt that they addressed two so-called issues which might have different audiences: (1) any impact on flights, and (2) local preparations made "just in case".
Old Aug 6, 18, 11:38 pm

Perhaps redundant, but I felt that they addressed two so-called issues which might have different audiences: (1) any impact on flights, and (2) local preparations made "just in case".
Itís just that FlyerTalk rules prohibit cross-posting to multiple Forums.
Old Aug 7, 18, 1:57 am

Plenty of advice here: https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes

In Hong Kong, people buy fresh food for a day or two, as it can take a little while to get fresh vegetables after a typhoon, and, for some reason, toilet paper. Some people also put brown packing tape on windows in case of shattering - but it's a sod to remove. Choosing which restaurant to go to or which film(s) to see also comes into play.

But I think Hawaii tends to fair less well than Hong Kong though...
Old Aug 9, 18, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Hector redux

Today's Maui News said "Goodbye Hector", so that is that. However, our flight yesterday made an unfamiliar approach to OGG. Usually, based on our approx 40 landings over the years at OGG, the mainland flights approach over north Kihei with the Maalea wind farm to the left. This time the pattern was inland after apparently crossing the coast further south, then a 180 turn near Paiia & landing on the runaway in the opposite direction with the terminal to the right. Consequence of unusual wind pattern due to Hector? Yep, I know this this comment is far too anal, but consider the term, "analysis" (LOL).
Old Aug 9, 18, 5:45 pm

Hector is passing, but we're still getting rain from it.

They use runway 20 (opp direction of the normal runway 2) during times when the typical trade wind pattern from the NE changes up (as with Kona winds). It's not typical, but it's not uncommon.

A flight from the mainland would just land on runway 20 without crossing the island during the opposite than normal trade wind flow.

i/i flights from the Western part of the state use a different approach. (typical flow when using runway 2 is to approach from the West side, around Maalaea and the windmills and then cross the valley and land on runway 2)

-David

Search this Thread