Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

18 Hours in HNL/Envy Rent a Car

Old Jun 28, 18, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold

Hi All,

I'll be in HNL for about 18 hours, arriving on the Island Hopper at 245AM and leaving at 11PM to LAX. Planning on sleeping from 3am to about 7am and then out and about. Can anyone recommend me a good day trip itinerary where I can get the most out of my stay on the big island? I'll have a car.

Also, anyone have any real insight into envy rent a car? They have a TON of positive reviews but they kinda seem fabricated. They have an M4 i want to rent for the day but it all just sounds too nice to be true.

Thank you.
Old Jun 28, 18, 2:23 pm

What island are you staying over on? HNL is on Oahu but you mention Big Island which is a totally different island?
Where were you planning on sleeping? I am pretty sure you cannot just camp out at any of the airports in Hawaii. I would probably check with the airport to make sure.
Never heard of Envy before today. Be aware it looks like it is Waikiki and depending on the day a trip from the airport could be long due to traffic.
Old Jun 28, 18, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by muran View Post
What island are you staying over on? HNL is on Oahu but you mention Big Island which is a totally different island?
Where were you planning on sleeping? I am pretty sure you cannot just camp out at any of the airports in Hawaii. I would probably check with the airport to make sure.
Never heard of Envy before today. Be aware it looks like it is Waikiki and depending on the day a trip from the airport could be long due to traffic.
My bad, I think it's a common misconception. In Oahu, no hotel yet as it's in november time, but will likely be near the Airport.
Old Jun 28, 18, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Redwood839 View Post
My bad, I think it's a common misconception. In Oahu, no hotel yet as it's in november time, but will likely be near the Airport.
There are only two hotels near the airport and trust me, you do not want to stay in either of them unless you absolutely have to (late flight in, crack of dawn flight out) or if there is any other remotely viable option. Since you will have a car, you have options. Stay elsewhere.
Old Jun 28, 18, 5:05 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
OP: You don't give a price range for hotels, so hard to help you out without more information. I concur with previous advice about avoiding the near-airport hotels.

You don't give any information about what kind of things you might find enjoyable, so again, it is difficult to be of help. History? Then Arizona memorial. Sights? Do a circle-island drive. Both? Do-able.
Old Jun 28, 18, 8:21 pm

I guess your best option will be to stay at one of the airport hotels if you really wanted to tour the island. As everyone else has said that area would be super sketchy at 3am. Make sure you can get a Uber or taxi to the hotel because all the car rental places will be closed. I would definitely not try to walk there.

I would personally just go to Waikiki and skip the car rental. There are enough things to do there to fill one day. If you give some things you are interested in and price range that would help for suggestions.
Old Jun 29, 18, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Not specifically looking for hotel recommendations at this time since it's so far out and I'm only going to be in the hotel for like 5 hours, was asking more for a day trip itinerary. Would rather do something like a circle island drive preferably including Pearl Harbor and some memorable sights. Don't mind skipping beaches, as we have plenty of them here in Costa Rica.
Old Jun 29, 18, 11:46 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by Redwood839 View Post
Thanks all. Not specifically looking for hotel recommendations at this time since it's so far out and I'm only going to be in the hotel for like 5 hours, was asking more for a day trip itinerary. Would rather do something like a circle island drive preferably including Pearl Harbor and some memorable sights. Don't mind skipping beaches, as we have plenty of them here in Costa Rica.
I'm not recommending the vendor below, but the description gives you some clues of things to see:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Oahu/Oa...ion/d672-23607

Some of the nicest sites on the drive on East Oahu past Hanauma Bay. Breathtaking. You must have rain forests in CR, but if you want more, drive up to Tantalus.

You can get into Pearl Harbor (Arizona) for free,
Old Jun 29, 18, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
I'm not recommending the vendor below, but the description gives you some clues of things to see:

https://www.viator.com/tours/Oahu/Oa...ion/d672-23607

Some of the nicest sites on the drive on East Oahu past Hanauma Bay. Breathtaking. You must have rain forests in CR, but if you want more, drive up to Tantalus.

You can get into Pearl Harbor (Arizona) for free,
Thank you, I've taken Viator bought tours before and they've been ace. I'll consider whether I take one or drive them myself coming off the island hopper. No rain forest for me, too much rain and forest as it here.
Old Jul 1, 18, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I highly suggest that you just crash at an airport hotel (they are perfectly ok, at least the one I stayed at a few years back), leave your luggage there while you tour the island in your rental car, and pick up your bags at the end of your nice island day. The last thing you need is during one of your nice roadside stops on the North Shore (or even perhaps elsewhere) is that someone has visited the interior of your vehicle. To drive into Honolulu at that hour (not far, but still) just to park a car, pay for parking, etc, and pay a lot more for a room is just a waste of time and money.

Oahu rain forest is probably much less rainy that your home forests. Check online reservations for Pearl Harbor (at the government site). Book well in advance. It is very close to the airport and could be your first AM stop. I think it is $1 or so per person for the online service although I haven't checked in a couple of years.
Old Jul 1, 18, 7:42 am

Programs: HH Silver
I wouldn't stop at Pearl Harbor unless I had a full day to spend. Lol, made that mistake. Didn't think I really needed to see it, so did not schedule it, but found time, so stopped by about 45 minutes before it closed just to say I had been there. Immediately knew I had made a mistake, and ended up booking 4 nights on Oahu on my next trip to the Islands so that I could see it properly. It was worth it.
Old Jul 3, 18, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
I'd make it a priority to try to eat Hawaiian food at Helena's if they were open that day. Small place, parking a bear, west of downtown, but affordable and excellent on just about everything. Sadly, no more Ono's, which was small and also was good. There are also the food trucks along the loop on the north shore.

I also used to stop by Savers on Dillingham or Goodwill on Beretania for aloha shirts, which mostly were still above $10 but often included the good stuff like Tori Richards that go for $50+ if bought new. There was also a record store in Kailua (Hungry Ear, I think) that had lots of Hawaiian-music LPs. Also the Aloha Bowl flea market on weekends. But it's understandable if time is too much of the essence to allocate shopping time.

The Bishop Museum also is a unique opportunity, being tops in the world in its niche.

I'd generally prioritize things that were unique to the location.
Old Jul 5, 18, 11:02 am

We just spent a week at Oahu and took a few tours including an ultimate circle island tour. To be honest if you are just driving around by yourself without a guide telling the history or stories or origin of things, it is not that impressive. If you just driving yourself and not interested in beaches, maybe stop at Pearl Harbor, Nuuanu Pali Lookout, Byodo-In Temple, Bishop Museum, etc..

Some one mentioned Aloha Bowl flea market (near Pearl Harbor), and it was one of my favorite places to visit last time. I didn't buy anything but I like to window shop at flea markets. This one is more like a swap meet than a flea markets. Most of the stalls were selling new stuff. BTW, a carved turtle was 3x cheaper than the one I got from Costa Rica earlier this year.
Old Jul 8, 18, 12:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Envy rent a car really just the local Volvo dealer (now bankrupt, got sued by Volvo the carmaker) that would rent out the used cars on their lot to make some money instead of have them just sit there?

Rented a smart car there once, drove poorly, jerky start and stop motion, 1 big roach included inside

Search this Thread