10 days in Hawaii

Old Apr 14, 18, 7:25 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6
10 days in Hawaii

Hey everyone,

So I知 going to Hawaii for my honeymoon in July. I知 splitting time between Maui and Kaua段. Not sure if I should spend 5 days on each or 6 on Maui and 4 on Kaua段. Any suggestions? Also does anyone have any must do痴 on the islands or some hidden gems?

Thanks!
tcfersure is offline  
Old Apr 14, 18, 5:03 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,240
Lots of threads in this forum, do some browsing, and stay for a little while. There is so much to see and do, perhaps it would help to give advice based on what your interests are as a couple. What are they? Personally I'd rather spend more time on Kaua'i, but that's because I like the slower pace there than in Maui.
Arthurrs is offline  
Old Apr 14, 18, 5:28 pm
  #3  
Fairmont Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Orcas Island, Washington
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Posts: 105
I think there are more attractions on Maui, and more distance in between so you spend more time driving. I would recommend spending more time on Maui if you are seeking a more active vacation.
Maglev is offline  
Old Apr 14, 18, 5:41 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 537
I would do Kaua'i first.....slower pace....beautiful.....more romantic. Lakanukki is never a problem there.

Mau'i has more to do. I've loved riding a bike down Haleakala, but my choice was to drive up to the Kula Lodge at the 3,000 foot level and take the bus from there to the top, and then bike back to Kula. Makawao is a hippie/new age town near Kula, and it's fun and a taste of non-tourist Hawaii. Also, Pai'a is a wonderful town where the Road to Hana begins and you can turn off to go up Haleakala.

The best damned fishburger I ever ate in my life was at the Pai'a Fish Market, with a wonderful sea breeze coming into the restaurant, while watching the windsurfers across the road, at Baldwin Beach State Park. The road to Hana is amazing, but it's kinda like life itself. Hana itself is not that much. So it's not the destination, it's the journey. And there's nothing wrong with taking the Road halfway and heading back, or turning off and exploring.

Also on Maui, the glass-bottom boat to Molokini, where you can scuba among a dazzling assortment of fish is a wonderful experience.



Enjoy.

Last edited by HomerJay; Apr 22, 18 at 8:02 am
HomerJay is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 12:13 am
  #5  
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Anywhere a good IPA is served!!
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,129
Originally Posted by tcfersure View Post
Hey everyone,

So I’m going to Hawaii for my honeymoon in July. I’m splitting time between Maui and Kaua’i. Not sure if I should spend 5 days on each or 6 on Maui and 4 on Kaua’i. Any suggestions? Also does anyone have any must do’s on the islands or some hidden gems?

Thanks!
Welcome to FT! Long time lurker but first post! More to do and see on Maui so I'd suggest 4 days on K and 6 on M. Are you doing hotels or condos?
philemer is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 10:15 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Welcome to FT! Long time lurker but first post! More to do and see on Maui so I'd suggest 4 days on K and 6 on M. Are you doing hotels or condos?
So far I have 4 nights booked at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. Looking at staying at the Andaz in Maui at least part of the time.
tcfersure is offline  
Old Apr 17, 18, 11:34 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 8
Completely agree with others here! Maui has more activities and attractions but involves more driving since the distances between places is greater. If you're looking for an active vacation, do 6 days on Maui and 4 on Kauai. However, if you're looking for rest and relaxation, flip it to 6 days on Kauai and 4 on Maui and then, while on Maui, do all the greatest hits.

For Maui, there are a few musts I really have to recommend. The Road to Hana and a Molokini snorkel cruise, as have already been mentioned here. Watching the sunrise from the top of the Haleakala Crater is totally amazing, too (though note, you need to reserve your spot since this is very popular--you can do it here https://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvis...servations.htm). And this would be a good place to do a luau. Oh! And you're staying in South Maui so definitely get out snorkeling and kayaking there. There are a lot of great companies there.

For Kauai, the only real must is the Napali Coast. Do this by boat--there are lots of tours that leave from the south where you're staying so it should be easy to manage. These sea cliffs are truly out of this world--so humbling. Other fun stuff is snorkeling along the south shore, hanging out on Poipu Beach, and ATVing. There are a lot of great ATV companies here. Get up to Hanalei is you can to--the snorkeling along the north shore is gorgeous during the summer months. Oh! And if you want to do something really over the top, check out a helicopter tour there. It's amazing.

Last thing! Are you a fan of Fleetwood Mac? Mick Fleetwood has a restaurant in Lahaina on Maui that you really have got to try.
megantravels is offline  
Old Apr 17, 18, 12:56 pm
  #8  
Fairmont Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Orcas Island, Washington
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Posts: 105
Are you looking for somewhere else to stay on Maui after the Andaz?

I lived on Maui for many years, and both as a child and as an adult I would often go to Hana on Maui for vacations. When I was growing up, my family would go camping at Waianapanapa State Park or rent the cabins there (in the 1970's, you could also camp at Hana Bay County Park). Later, my wife and I would go to Hana for a few days and stay at a condo or vacation rental. There is also the luxury Hotel Hana Maui.

There's lots of things to do at Waianapanapa State Park-hiking, fishing, snorkeling, and swimming in the freshwater caves. Right in Hana, we would sometimes spend a day at exotic "Red Sand" (Kaihalulu) beach. There's the "Blue Pool," Hamoa and Koki beaches, and the National Park in Kipahulu, all near Hana.
Maglev is offline  
Old Apr 17, 18, 7:12 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 123
Given the recent devastation to the northeastern parts of Kauai you might want to limit your activities to the southern part of the island, or maybe wait for another time and spend your time on Maui. Maybe a Maui- Big Island trip if you want a bit of the laid back atmosphere.
Shagboy is offline  
Old Apr 17, 18, 8:06 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DAY
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Posts: 1,422
Originally Posted by megantravels View Post
Completely agree with others here! Maui has more activities and attractions but involves more driving since the distances between places is greater. If you're looking for an active vacation, do 6 days on Maui and 4 on Kauai. However, if you're looking for rest and relaxation, flip it to 6 days on Kauai and 4 on Maui and then, while on Maui, do all the greatest hits.

For Maui, there are a few musts I really have to recommend. The Road to Hana and a Molokini snorkel cruise, as have already been mentioned here. Watching the sunrise from the top of the Haleakala Crater is totally amazing, too (though note, you need to reserve your spot since this is very popular--you can do it here https://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvis...servations.htm). And this would be a good place to do a luau. Oh! And you're staying in South Maui so definitely get out snorkeling and kayaking there. There are a lot of great companies there.

For Kauai, the only real must is the Napali Coast. Do this by boat--there are lots of tours that leave from the south where you're staying so it should be easy to manage. These sea cliffs are truly out of this world--so humbling. Other fun stuff is snorkeling along the south shore, hanging out on Poipu Beach, and ATVing. There are a lot of great ATV companies here. Get up to Hanalei is you can to--the snorkeling along the north shore is gorgeous during the summer months. Oh! And if you want to do something really over the top, check out a helicopter tour there. It's amazing.

Last thing! Are you a fan of Fleetwood Mac? Mick Fleetwood has a restaurant in Lahaina on Maui that you really have got to try.
If you do the sunrise on Haleakala, I would recommend doing it the first day you are there. It makes it a little easier to get up that early if you haven't adjusted to Hawaii time yet.
jsl_313 likes this.

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Apr 24, 18 at 6:58 pm
Cledaybuck is online now  
Old Apr 24, 18, 5:58 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Jupiter, FL
Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Posts: 16,730
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post

If you do the sunrise on Haleakala, I would recommend doing it the fort day you are there. It makes it a little easier to get up that early if you haven't adjusted to Hawaii time yet.
If you are a scuba diver, don't do Haleakala on the day after diving. It is the same rule as flying. I know, I had to pass up a dive.
pbiflyer is offline  
Old Apr 26, 18, 9:51 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 4,644
If you stay at Andaz, which is really as luxury beautiful as pictured, then hopefully you'll have a morimoto meal. Yum. We stay at Grand Wailea with other families but had an adult meal at morimoto and I loved it so much that I kept taking luxury pictures. Morimoto was delicious.
But I also love love Paia Fish Market and would gladly eat every meal there - ive been to Lahaina and Kihei locations and saw the original in Paia Inbetween meals :-)
paia is really fun and probably even better at night without the day trippers!
gaobest is offline  
Old Apr 26, 18, 9:52 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 4,644
Happy honeymoon. I met Korean honeymooners at the OGG airport who were flying to Honolulu
gaobest is offline  
Old Apr 26, 18, 10:36 am
  #14  
yrs
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WAS (IAD, DCA, BWI)
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Posts: 234
You will really enjoy Kauai, the least developed of the islands - more natural beauty to appreciate.

The Waiamea Canyon (where Jurassic Park) was shot, looks like a green version of the Grand Canyon.

You could try the zip lines. The longest is about 1500 feet.

The Botanic Gardens by Poipu (where Pirates of the Caribbean was shot) is another fun place to visit for the unique flora. A small but enchanting island.
yrs is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread