Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaii is ridiculously unaffordable: who's travelling there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii is ridiculously unaffordable: who's travelling there?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
They are taxed in some locations like Vegas, but it hasn't slowed the spread there. Some Vegas resort fees are now over $50/night after taxes.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I'm sorry but I don't want to pay for things I'll never use. Like the Rail Transit Project on OAHU.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Low Roller
They are taxed in some locations like Vegas, but it hasn't slowed the spread there. Some Vegas resort fees are now over $50/night after taxes.
Years ago, I extrapolated - jokingly - that there would come a time when the room rate was $10 and the resort fee was $199.

That day is coming. Very soon.
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Years ago, I extrapolated - jokingly - that there would come a time when the room rate was $10 and the resort fee was $199.

That day is coming. Very soon.
As an aside, I love your signature line. It's exactly how I feel about living in Canada - yet here I am
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I have an upcoming points stay in Kauai that I am being charged $160 and $23.07 in taxes on. Seems like it is already being taxed to me.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Our corrupt local politicians are hell bent on killing the golden goose... Hotel tax in general has gone over 10% starting in 2018 (and that's not including the 4.7% Oahu/4.2% neighbor islands sales tax)
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
See this post for more in depth explanation of current and proposed hospitality taxes....

Hawaii Resort Fees Tax Increase - Jeffsetter Travel
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:59 pm

Hotel occupancy rates are forecast to be flat in 2018 after record highs in 2017. Keep raising fees and taxes, taxes on those fees and at some point it becomes that proverbial back breaking straw. There is also legislation under discussion on the Big Island to limit the number of private homes available for short term rental. Things are starting to get interesting in paradise...
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Shagboy
Hotel occupancy rates are forecast to be flat in 2018 after record highs in 2017. Keep raising fees and taxes, taxes on those fees and at some point it becomes that proverbial back breaking straw. There is also legislation under discussion on the Big Island to limit the number of private homes available for short term rental. Things are starting to get interesting in paradise...
so... are you saying that occupancy rates were very high in 2017 and are now going to remain at the same level? That sounds pretty good to me....
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:15 pm

Yes, occupancy rates for 2017 state wide were 80% and the average daily rate was $264 according to the Hawaii Tourism Authority. The average daily rate for luxury properties was $525 with a 75% occupancy as per the same source.Things are looking good but continued room rate increases, 2017 had a 4.1% increase over 2016 and properties like Hapuna Beach on the Big Island now charging a resort fee can put a damper on budget travelers. As long has the deeper pocket visitors keep coming all will remain well. Pick your demographic and advertise to them...
Old Mar 24, 2018, 6:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Indeed, one of the reasons the crack cocaine of resort fees has spread so quickly is that the hotels figured out they aren't taxed. They are 100% profit for the hotels, vs. the room rate. Taxing resort fees would help slow the metastasis, though I'm afraid the damage has already been done.
The statement I highlighted above makes no sense at all. The tax on the room rate is a direct pass-through to the consumer. The hotel property is not making less profit because the room rate is taxed. The hotel property is simply acting as a tax collector for the state and in some states is offered a slight compensation for collecting and remitting said taxes.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by controller1
The statement I highlighted above makes no sense at all. The tax on the room rate is a direct pass-through to the consumer. The hotel property is not making less profit because the room rate is taxed. The hotel property is simply acting as a tax collector for the state and in some states is offered a slight compensation for collecting and remitting said taxes.
Perhaps a better way to say this is that the room rate already accounts for fixed and variable costs, and the resort fee has none of those fixed or variable costs to account for. Wifi? Already accounted for in the room rate. Spa admission? The spa is already a sunk cost. Resort fees are pure profit, over and above the room rate.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is Maui now too expensive for what it is?

I think I've flown to Hawaii at least 20 times in my life. I'm fond of the islands, and try to visit at least every other year (often annually). Over time, my "favorite" Hawaiian destinations have changed. For the last decade or so, I've been a regular in Kapoho on the Big Island where I could rent an awesome old-Hawaiian style villa with a private thermal-heated lagoon for about $1000/week. That property, as well as much of the surrounding area, is now under lava, so I need to head elsewhere.

On a recent sale, I bought tickets for January to Maui, an island I've been to several times, but have mostly ignored for the past decade. In my lifetime, I've seen Ka'anapali get crowded. I've never been a huge fan of Wailea; I like the area around Hana, but lodging options are very limited.

As I begin planning my Maui trip, I've been shocked by the price tag of hotels on the island. Decent-but-not-exceptional resort hotels seem to be about $800/night all in. I think that's about 3x what I've ever paid a night for a hotel (and I've stayed in a lot of nice 5-star hotels over the years). Houses and other rental properties also seem expensive. Even airbnb looks pricey for what the listings are.

Personally, I'll be fine, as I'll scrape together the necessary hotel loyalty points and stay in decent hotels for a "real" cost of maybe $200/night. But it will be a lot of points, and it won't make me eager to return again. And I know most visitors don't have these frequent flyer resources. Are people really forking over $800/night to stay in Maui? It seems to be an extraordinarily expensive vacation, especially when you consider that everything else in Hawaii (food, entertainment, car rental, etc) is expensive, too. I'm surprised they can attract a mass-market clientele with these prices. Not everyone is a Silicon Valley multi-millionaire.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'll be interested to see what responses you get. I was doing some initial research for a family member in order to develop a budget for a trip. They would be traveling with two small children. I was shocked when I saw similar prices to you.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:04 pm

Supply and demand unfortunately. They sell out quite easily which is why they jack up the prices.
msp3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.