Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to FHR booking with late flight out of OGG?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

We're doing a quick 48-hour trip to Maui after a timeshare week in Kauai -- found cheap UA first class seats that included a ORD-OGG lie-flat segment whereas nothing comparable price-wise was available for one-stop flights from the mainland to LIH.

Our OGG-LAX flight leaves around 10 pm, so basically any resort mandating noon or earlier checkout leaves us without a room for the afternoon. We have SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, and Hyatt Discoverist status but late checkout is always going to be subject to availability at resorts. Virtuoso/Visa bookings also say that late checkout is subject to availability, but with two young kids in tow I don't want to take any chances. Does this mean AMEX FHR, which appears to guarantee a 4 pm checkout, is our only realistic option?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
We're doing a quick 48-hour trip to Maui after a timeshare week in Kauai -- found cheap UA first class seats that included a ORD-OGG lie-flat segment whereas nothing comparable price-wise was available for one-stop flights from the mainland to LIH.

Our OGG-LAX flight leaves around 10 pm, so basically any resort mandating noon or earlier checkout leaves us without a room for the afternoon. We have SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, and Hyatt Discoverist status but late checkout is always going to be subject to availability at resorts. Virtuoso/Visa bookings also say that late checkout is subject to availability, but with two young kids in tow I don't want to take any chances. Does this mean AMEX FHR, which appears to guarantee a 4 pm checkout, is our only realistic option?
Rent an extra night and enjoy the day. We usually do that and the extra cost (maybe a cheap hotel in Kahului or Kihei?) is well worth it. Kids can take an afternoon nap and you can head for the airport abt 8pm well rested & not stressed.
747FC likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:12 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
The Maui Beach Hotel in Kahului isn't too bad. It has a pool.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
Rent an extra night and enjoy the day. We usually do that and the extra cost (maybe a cheap hotel in Kahului or Kihei?) is well worth it. Kids can take an afternoon nap and you can head for the airport abt 8pm well rested & not stressed.
How would that work, if the cheap hotel (where we presumably wouldn't want to stay the night before) doesn't allow check-in until hours after we have to check out of any non-FHR property? We'd basically be making a four or five-hour booking.

If we book a FHR property and check out at 4, that still allows to grab a leisurely early dinner, return the rental car, and be at OGG between 7 or 8 pm. Or we could hang out at the Maui Mall first?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How would that work, if the cheap hotel (where we presumably wouldn't want to stay the night before) doesn't allow check-in until hours after we have to check out of any non-FHR property? We'd basically be making a four or five-hour booking.

If we book a FHR property and check out at 4, that still allows to grab a leisurely early dinner, return the rental car, and be at OGG between 7 or 8 pm. Or we could hang out at the Maui Mall first?
You're assuming a 4pm ck. out. No guarantee though. I was just giving you an option.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Fair enough -- we thought about our itinerary a bit more and have decided to leave Kauai a day early, giving us three full days in Maui instead of two. Then we looked around some more and decided that the VRBO condo route made more sense given our kids. Once you factor in valet and resort fees, we were able to book a 2 BR ocean view space in Kaanapali for four nights at a price less than what a 1 BR suite would've cost for two nights at the Ritz, Andaz, etc. Thanks to all for the input!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough -- we thought about our itinerary a bit more and have decided to leave Kauai a day early, giving us three full days in Maui instead of two. Then we looked around some more and decided that the VRBO condo route made more sense given our kids. Once you factor in valet and resort fees, we were able to book a 2 BR ocean view space in Kaanapali for four nights at a price less than what a 1 BR suite would've cost for two nights at the Ritz, Andaz, etc. Thanks to all for the input!
^ Enjoy the trip. I always try to keep the "stress factor" low.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Or we could hang out at the Maui Mall first?
That seems like an all but sure way to end your trip on a low point. Many hotels also have a hospitality day use room. I've done this at the Andaz many times, where we made an almost full day of it at the pool or beach, showered in the hospitality room (which is a common use room), dined wherever, and then made our 9 or 10 p.m. departure back to HNL.

Whether that keeps things "low stress" is in the eye of the beholder, but we certainly don't mind doing that. With kids, I would want a hotel that provides private hospitality rooms though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.