Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Help with planning a Maui honeymoon on points/miles for my son

Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Son is getting married December 1, 2018. Would like to give him a honeymoon trip to Maui. He lives in Birmingham, Alabama. I don't mind using all of my points/miles to make this happen (husband's too)! I've looked at booking 1st class seats through SA with UA miles and can't find any saver fares. I would love to at least fly them from the west coast to Hawaii first class. That flight from the east coast about killed my husband and me years ago! Here is our miles/points balances:
UR points; husband 221,000; me 123000
MR points: me 53000
UA miles: husband 60000: me 87000
AA miles: husband 110000 me 67000
We have a few thousand points in Marriott, Hilton, SPG and IHG but nothing significant.
ALL suggestions appreciated. I've booked flights for my son with my AA miles but not sure if it's that easy with UA miles? My son also has the AA card and has around 50,000 miles himself. He's young so that's his first mileage/points card.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by orbit1
Son is getting married December 1, 2018. Would like to give him a honeymoon trip to Maui. He lives in Birmingham, Alabama. I don't mind using all of my points/miles to make this happen (husband's too)! I've looked at booking 1st class seats through SA with UA miles and can't find any saver fares. I would love to at least fly them from the west coast to Hawaii first class. That flight from the east coast about killed my husband and me years ago! Here is our miles/points balances:
We have a few thousand points in Marriott, Hilton, SPG and IHG but nothing significant.
ALL suggestions appreciated. I've booked flights for my son with my AA miles but not sure if it's that easy with UA miles? My son also has the AA card and has around 50,000 miles himself. He's young so that's his first mileage/points card.
TrAnsfer your UR to UA. You will have enough to get them Everyday F seats returning from Hawaii. Use your AA miles to get them to Hawaii in economy. They are young Nd resilient so daytime Y flight will be a breeze.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC

TrAnsfer your UR to UA. You will have enough to get them Everyday F seats returning from Hawaii. Use your AA miles to get them to Hawaii in economy. They are young Nd resilient so daytime Y flight will be a breeze.
You are right about the flight to Hawaii! My red-eye home was most definitely the worst!!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Interisland flts are cheapest with UA miles. Only 6K o/w. AA & HA require 7500.

What airline is "SA"? Or is that your abbreviation for San Antonio (SAT)?

Great gift, IMHO.

If you decide to xfer UR to UA combine them first. That way they call all go into one UA acct. UA First Everyday awards are 180K each r/t. So 360K total. Then, you may not have ALL segments in First. Don't think I would do that.
orbit1 likes this.

Last edited by philemer; Feb 19, 2018 at 12:43 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer

Great gift, IMHO.

If you decide to xfer UR to UA combine them first. That way they call all go into one UA acct. UA First Everyday awards are 180K each r/t. So 360K total. Then, you may not have ALL segments in First. Don't think I would do that.
Thank you! SA (Singapore Air)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! SA (Singapore Air)
The IATA code for Singapore is SQ. Some of the codes make no sense to me. Good luck on planning this big event. Let us know when you firm things up. Or ask away if you have more questions.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Consider AA through DFW, maybe cash (or UR through the portal) outbound in premium economy and anytime awards in first for the return. Nice product and often can be had for 67.5K OW, which isn't as good as a saver award but not so bad.

For hotels, UR to Hyatt may be your only decent option).
orbit1 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by philemer

Great gift, IMHO.

I believe interisland flights went up to 7K with UA now.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
You could also break the trip up with a stop on the west coast for a day or two if you want to help with the jet lag and maybe enjoy somewhere in California too for a little bit. Alaska Airlines usually has pretty good availability from several west coast cities to Hawaii. These can be booked for 12.5k each (one way) on British Airways (UR (instant) and MR transfer partner) if you find a flight on Alaska that is listed for 17.5k. You could then use your AA, UA (UR), DL (MR), or WN (UR) to get back from (or to) the west coast.
orbit1 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! I booked them economy saver to Maui. Did a subscription to expertflyer to try and find award business/first saver with anyone anywhere! Can't find anything! Looks like I may have to follow your advice on the flight home also!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I believe interisland flights went up to 7K with UA now.
Yes, I realized that shortly after posting. Earn and burn. Your miles will never increase in value.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Update. I am now looking at hotels. It IS a honeymoon but these kids are young and adventurous! They won't be sitting on a beach or at a pool. They will be taking snorkeling trips, biking, hiking, etc. They would love to do a whale watching trip also. So, what would you recommend for a hotel? Also, do the Hyatt properties waive the resort fees if I am a cardholder booking for family? That is supposed to be a benefit of being a cardholder.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

You are right about the flight to Hawaii! My red-eye home was most definitely the worst!!
The flight could last one hour, be in an Emirates suite, and it would still be the worst, just because you're leaving Hawaii.

For OP - you are likely to have a hard time finding saver First/Business tickets because everybody wants to do the same thing as you, so they can sell them for "full" miles price. In light of that you might consider simply paying cash for the F tickets - a couple of years ago there was only about a $200 premium for F, at least when I was flying. Yes, it's not miles, but you can use the miles for a better return some other way.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Consider AA through DFW, maybe cash (or UR through the portal) outbound in premium economy and anytime awards in first for the return. Nice product and often can be had for 67.5K OW, which isn't as good as a saver award but not so bad.

For hotels, UR to Hyatt may be your only decent option).
I followed your advise! So happy to have them a flight booked. Economy on the way to Maui and OW AA business class for the way home! Now for a HOTEL!!!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:39 pm

Also, do the Hyatt properties waive the resort fees if I am a cardholder booking for family? That is supposed to be a benefit of being a cardholder.
What level of member are you? I know they waive the resort fees if you're a high enough member. And I think they do waive them if you're a member and you're booking the nights on points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.