Reload this Page >

Daniel K. Inouye Airport to get new $1.1 billion concourse

Old Feb 13, 18, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Article can be found here:
http://Daniel K. Inouye Airport to g...lion concourse

Wait what?? Are we going to get two new terminals: one by the old interisland and this one?
Or is this just election talk.
Old Feb 13, 18, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA Pua Plat
Your link is broken, here is the correct one: Daniel K. Inouye Airport to get new $1.1 billion concourse

Finally! This is a much needed project that will be in addition to the already planned Mauka Concourse, and will replace the current Diamond Head Concourse, which is very outdated and doesn't even have the proper passenger separation for the international arrivals it processes. I am extremely happy to see that there will be a new CBP facility as the current one is way too small for the traffic it handles, especially on the baggage side of things. I wonder if this new facility will replace the current one, or be in addition to it. CBP doesn't like staffing multiple locations at one airport when it can be avoided, but it would make sense operationally for HA to keep their international operations in the Ewa Concourse where they can be close to the Interisland Terminal. This new concourse should eliminate WikiWiki buses for international arrivals, and greatly reduce their use for other purposes as well.

I can understand why they won't be able to start for another 5 years; this project depends on the Mauka Concourse being finished. My guess is that once HA moves a significant portion of their mainland traffic to Mauka, that should free up enough space in Ewa to move the current Diamond Head operations there. Then demolition of Diamond Head can begin. What I don't understand is why they're claiming the construction of the concourse will take another 5 years once started. That's a ridiculous amount of time for a project like this, it's almost as much time as took to build DEN from scratch! Maybe they're already anticipating the inevitable delays that will happen based on the track record of this state, and baking them into the schedule from the beginning.
Old Feb 14, 18, 5:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'd also be interested to see if they move and concentrate international flights into the new concourse and how this impacts United's operations. I guess there will be a new United Club somewhere!

[Mod Hat on]

I'm going to move this to the Hawaii (Travel) Forum as this is a more general topic and not specific to any of the Hawaii-based airlines.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 15, 18 at 5:45 am
Old Feb 14, 18, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I'd also be interested to see if they move and concentrate international flights into the new concourse and how this impacts United's operations. I guess there will be a new United Club somewhere!
Yes and also Delta Sky Club, as well. I think they will build new Delta Sky Club or Hawaiian Air Lounge. I am not quite sure about that. We shall see what happen.
Old Feb 21, 18, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kumulani View Post
I can understand why they won't be able to start for another 5 years;
That's like starting it next month in Hawaii time. Having done business there, I'm not sure how anything gets built.
Old Feb 26, 18, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by Kumulani View Post
. What I don't understand is why they're claiming the construction of the concourse will take another 5 years once started. That's a ridiculous amount of time for a project like this, it's almost as much time as took to build DEN from scratch! Maybe they're already anticipating the inevitable delays that will happen based on the track record of this state, and baking them into the schedule from the beginning.
Denver was greenfield construction, which is a lot easier to do than building on an existing airport where they have to work around existing facilities and planes.
Old Feb 26, 18, 5:14 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Denver was greenfield construction, which is a lot easier to do than building on an existing airport where they have to work around existing facilities and planes.
True, especially when building in an environment in which burial remains can be found that would cause delays until the consulting archaeologist and burial councilors made their determinations.
Old Mar 1, 18, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
OTOH, it only took Denver 4 years to build the airport AND all the secret underground facilities!
mowogo likes this.
Old Mar 1, 18, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA Pua Plat
I don't buy that the challenges of building a 12 gate concourse on top of a parking lot are so great in comparison to the challenges of building a brand new airport with 6 runways, a Taj Mahal terminal, three satellite concourses, a skybridge and subway system to connect them. Regardless of the land being empty.

Last edited by Kumulani; Mar 1, 18 at 10:23 pm
Old Aug 17, 18, 4:50 pm

Apparently the Diamond Head concourse is "in the midst of a ... multi-year renovation". (Related to SWAs use of what they are calling "ground level boarding" gates in the new commuter area of the Diamond Head wing.)

I seriously wonder if the author lives here and is familiar with the pace of HNL airport work? All they did was announce a 10 year plan, right?

https://beatofhawaii.com/southwest-h...irline-update/
Via a Doctor of Credit post - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/south...ll-fly-hawaii/

ETA: from the original article cited in post #2 :

The Legislature appropriated money to begin planning the project two years ago, and airports officials will soon award a contract to begin planning the new facility. Ige said construction will start in five years, and should be completed five years after that.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 17, 18 at 6:29 pm

Search this Thread