Wiki Posts
Search

Satellite WiFi mainland to Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Satellite WiFi mainland to Hawaii?

Are there any options for satellite based WiFi to Hawaii? i'm finding a lot of contradictory information online about airlines offering this option.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: AA, UA, SWA
Originally Posted by ou81two
Are there any options for satellite based WiFi to Hawaii? i'm finding a lot of contradictory information online about airlines offering this option.
We flew out on AA a few weeks ago. They had it,or said they did, but I didn’t use it. Too many good movies. We were in FC.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:11 am

I flew AA DFW-OGG in December and had WiFi all the way. Connectivity was good and stayed up, it was a very pleasant surprise and price was reasonable
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:38 am

I flew LAX to OGG last summer on AA. Our wifi dropped out shortly after we left the mainland and never returned. I can only assume that my flight was using the ground based wifi. If I hadn't been using a free pass, I would have requested a refund.

When I was booking my flight, I did notice that the DFW - OGG route was being served by an international configuration plane with lie flat seats in first, etc. Our LAX - OGG flight was served by a standard domestic configuration B738. That probably makes a difference in whether or not the internet is ground based or satellite based.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Hertz President's Circle
I fly United and the situation is a little confusing. The DirecTV equipped aircraft that fly on that route do not have wifi coverage over the Pacific, whereas their other wifi system does. It works fine over the ocean in my experience. However, the flight crew often still announces that the wifi won't work over the Pacific (I guess out of habit or confusion from being on DirecTV aircraft?) even though this contradicts reality and the material in the united in-flight magazine. The "inflight entertainment" section should tell you what type of wifi you will have, or the safest bet would be to avoid United 737 aircraft on this route if wifi is a priority.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:01 am

The Delta 757's from SEA all have wifi the entire flight. There are pockets where it drops out, but I was able to stream Netflix to and from SEA to HNL.
curl likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
I go back and forth about once a month. While a internet freak (Flyertalk). I really enjoy disconnecting, listening to my music, drinking fine wine (oh yea) and relaxing. Just enjoy, you are supposed to be going on vacation.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
We fly from west coast to KOA on Delta 1-2x year and have had good internet access for majority of the flight. (757 aircraft)
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by hawkxp
I go back and forth about once a month. While a internet freak (Flyertalk). I really enjoy disconnecting, listening to my music, drinking fine wine (oh yea) and relaxing. Just enjoy, you are supposed to be going on vacation.
Fine wine? I've never had fine wine on a domestic carrier.
Phil Level likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Flew United and Alaska from California this past week and was shocked in 2021 to discover there was no functional WiFi on these planes. Does anyone know which carrier I should be booking with going forward? Seems like Southwest?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I've flow PDX to OGG (and back) 9X on AS over the last year and one time I had internet rougly halfway then it cut out. All other times there was nothing. If it just wasn't there I guess I'd understand... I'm just confused about why it worked once and only halfway.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stvr
Flew United and Alaska from California this past week and was shocked in 2021 to discover there was no functional WiFi on these planes. Does anyone know which carrier I should be booking with going forward? Seems like Southwest?
United has it on their 757/777/787 flights to Hawaii. On routes where 738/739s are used, you're out of luck.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
WiFi was spotty over the Pacific Ocean on our recent Southwest flights to Hawaii.

We made several round trips to Hawaii before COVID and the WiFi was flawless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.