Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui vs. Grand Wailea

Andaz Maui vs. Grand Wailea

Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Several...
We've decided to stay in the Wailea area at this point. We are now choosing between Andaz and Grand Wailea. Almost there...

Any opinions on Grand Wailea (WA) vs. Andaz Maui? We are staying 5 days in early April. Right now we are booked at the Andaz. Prior to that we are staying at the Mauna Lani on Hawaii. We had to cancel our Hapuna reservations because of the construction and inaccurate estimates of completion. We are going early spring.

I have posted this question in another thread (or two), but I realized that if I was posting in the Andaz Master thread, people there tended to be loyal to Hyatt and if I posted in the Hilton area, people tended to be loyal to Grand Wailea. So I was hoping to get a good mixture of the reviews by posting in an "independent" thread.

If you've seen one of my previous posts and responded, I did appreciate your feedback. I have looked on TA and many other websites, but I trust the more discerning reviews here than on TA.

From what I gathered online:

Andaz Pros: Great beach, fewer children, free self-service laundry, and just modern and chic overall, lots of extras for resort fee including: * GoPro Hero 5 Camera Rental * GroPro Lab * Outrigger Excursion * Kayak Tours * Snorkel Rental * Stand Up Paddle Board Lessons * Yoga and Fitness Classes * Single & Tandem Bike Rental * Ukulele Lessons * Body Board Rental * Photography Session * Coconut Husking Lessons ANDAZ BRAND AMENITIES INCLUDED WITH THE STAY * Transportation within Wailea * Reusable Water Bottle and Eco-bag * Hub 808 Kids Club(Complimentary, daytime) * Welcome Beverage (non-alcoholic) * Select snacks and non-alcoholic beverages in mini-bar, replenished daily * 'Ohana Lounge - early arrival and late departure lounge

Andaz Cons: Small bedroom and awkward bathroom, ocean view rooms don't always have a view of the ocean, charges resort fee and mandatory valet to the tune of $75.00 per night.

WA Pros: Great beach, beautiful grounds, large well-appointed rooms/bathrooms, resort fee includes: Includes:-
* A tropical flower lei greeting upon arrival
* Two bottles of water on day of arrival placed in the guestroom
* A welcome Mai Tai non-alcoholic punch at designated check-in area
* Unlimited local, toll-free, and credit card calls (no access fee)
* Coffee and tea in guestrooms
* Participation in yoga classes
* Admission to twice-daily scuba clinics
* Use of Kona Lanai Hardtail Mountain Bikes(based on availability)
* Beach umbrellas for use on Wailea Beach (subject to resorts inventory)
* In-room high speed internet access (up to 2MB), with wireless capability and internet for multiple devices

WA Cons: Potentially lots of children, more touristy, no laundry facilities, $60,00 resort and parking fees.

I realize this probably isn't an exhaustive list and that the final answer depends on the end-user. But, what would you suggest for a 10 year anniversary.

Price is not a big concern but the WA accommodations are 200-400 less than the comparable accommodations at the Andaz.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 17, 2018 at 5:42 am Reason: split from other thread with previous responses retained
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There's really not much of a beach at the Andaz and we weren't wow'ed by our stay there right after they opened (as Hyatt Diamonds, the benefits for which have deteriorated over time). I'd go with the Grand for a superior experience.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by soliloquy
We've decided to stay in the Wailea area at this point. We are now choosing between Andaz and Grand Wailea. Almost there...
The Grand....hands down. Best resort on the Island if you can swing it........I live on Maui and yet I'm still an Elite Member of the Grand Wailea. They also just finished their pool refresh, all new tile, slide, etc.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LiquidHonesty
The Grand....hands down. Best resort on the Island if you can swing it........I live on Maui and yet I'm still an Elite Member of the Grand Wailea. They also just finished their pool refresh, all new tile, slide, etc.
Would you say it's crowded there during spring break compared to Andaz?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
cant say. Will note that the Grand is a very by big resort that hosts the meeting trade. Last time I was there it looked a bit tired. While Ive never been to the Andaz, my sister and some friends love it. You can find some wonderful trip reports on FT that include pics and commentary of the Andaz.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

I was able to find a webcam of the property that gave me some insight into how crowded it is during the day.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
There's really not much of a beach at the Andaz a
Don't agree with this at all. Perhaps you are talking about the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort, but the Andaz beach was one of the highlights for me. Much less crowded than the Grand Wailea and some of the best snorkeling around on the rocky outcrop just to the south.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:38 pm

The overall vibe of the GW and Andaz are so drastically different that I think it should be a trivial decision based on your personality and what you like. It isn't "better" or "worse," it's just WAY different.
dhuey and nnn like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:23 pm

Not anymore than any other resort. Don't get me wrong though, they all are crowded that time of year but the Grand's pool is largest! I work for another hotel here on the island and we're crowded that time of year too....but if you want beach, the Grand is closest to the beach. Andaz was "nice" when it opened but is showing it's age quickly. The Grand had just one through a renovation.....as has the Wailea Marriott. Either one is much better than the Andaz IMHO.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cardboard55
The overall vibe of the GW and Andaz are so drastically different that I think it should be a trivial decision based on your personality and what you like. It isn't "better" or "worse," it's just WAY different.
Can you elaborate please?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:15 pm

We have stayed at the Grand Wailea, the Andaz, the Four Seasons, and the Kea Lani. For a 10 year anniversary, Four Seasons is a no brainer. Second choice would be the Andaz - great vibe, modern, and cool. Excellent restaurants, great beach, fantastic pools. Yes, rooms and bathrooms are on the smaller side, but they are nice. Grand Wailea would be our last choice out of those four. Hope that helps.

Last edited by MTGKJ; Jan 24, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I've stayed at those, plus the Marriott. My favorite is the Marriott, which pleasingly also has the lowest room prices. Especially after the latest renovation, it looks great, has wonderful amenities, and perhaps most surprisingly has the most helpful and caring staff on Wailea. Here are my beefs with the other properties:

- Kea Lani: Actually pretty great overall, but simply a boring place to stay. Rooms, staff, everything are "fine" but not special or memorable.
- Four Seasons: Not up to the standards of the brand. Maybe I'm still bitter that they seated my wife and I at the worst table at Spago even though they knew it was our 20-year anniversary (while flashy young Kardashian types were taken to all the ocean view tables).
- Grand Wailea: A huge property that has seen its share of ups and downs ever since opening. It's opulent in some ways, and decided mass market in others. The most lacking aspect is the staff, who behave more like they are working at an airport Hilton somewhere than what is supposed to a flagship resort.
- Andaz: The epitome of style over substance. The whole place exudes fakeness. Staff are snobby, guests are almost universally nouveau riche, and the place tries SO hard to be trendy and hip that it instead comes across as desperate and kind of sad.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I've stayed at those, plus the Marriott. My favorite is the Marriott, which pleasingly also has the lowest room prices. Especially after the latest renovation, it looks great, has wonderful amenities, and perhaps most surprisingly has the most helpful and caring staff on Wailea. Here are my beefs with the other properties:
- Four Seasons: Not up to the standards of the brand. Maybe I'm still bitter that they seated my wife and I at the worst table at Spago even though they knew it was our 20-year anniversary (while flashy young Kardashian types were taken to all the ocean view tables).
>>>> You would pick the Marriott over the only Forbes Five Star, and AAA Five Diamond rated property on the entire island of Maui? Yes, you are still bitter ;-).
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 1, 2018 at 4:55 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:02 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by LiquidHonesty
I mean, to say that GW is nicer than the FS is a stretch IMHO.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I've only been to Wailea last year and we return in April.
I feel GW is great for families with kids. I can't imagine couples without kids there when there are so many nicer-looking places with fewer kids. I love families and kids but before parenthood, we preferred places that weren't so full of families.

Happy anniversary!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.