Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Turtle Bay Resort - A Week at Turtle Bay

Turtle Bay Resort

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Turtle Bay Resort

57-091 Kamehameha Hwy Kahuku, HI US 96731

A Week at Turtle Bay (2 Photos)

Turtle Bay Resort

Both my wife and I lived in Hawaii for many years.  For a vacation there, we were seeking a comfortable, self-contained resort in a rural setting.  My wife had stayed at Turtle Bay previously and liked it very much.  The other places we were considering were Manele and Koele on Lanai and the Hotel Hana Maui.  Turtle Bay was the best value.

Almost everything about our stay was perfect.  We were lucky on the weather for December, and there was dramatic high surf.  The sheltered cove on the east side of the hotel is great for swimming and sunbathing. I had one massage and my wife had two--they were wonderful.  I took a group surf lesson, and was able to stand up on my third wave.  We did not see any turtles during our stay.IMG_7022 (1).jpgIMG_7027 (1).jpg

Room

Our King Room on the Vista (top) level was very comfortable.  We usually stay in a suite, but the room was adequate as it had two very comfortable chairs and ottomans on the lanai.

Dining

We found all the dining options to be acceptable to very good.  The North Shore Kula Grille is somewhat ordinary.  We enjoyed the one dinner we had at each Pa'akai and Roy's Beach House, but returned to Lei Lei's for a second meal.  We also had room service for two dinners.  The Vista Level room we had includes a breakfast that at the time of booking was described as "Continental," but they have added a hot dish also (and one morning there were actually three hot dishes).

We pretty much stayed at the resort, venturing only as far as Kahuku Superette for Poke one day and going into Haleiwa another day to shop (and for more Poke from Foodland at Pupukea).  We found the facilities, services, and dining at the resort to be adequate to keep us entertained for a week. 

Concierge

One minor problem during our stay was some misinformation from the concierge on the Vista Level (there is a concierge on duty near the breakfast bar from 7 am to 10 am and afternoon snacks from 3pm to 5 pm).  We were taking a redeye flight home, and wanted to use the hospitality room to shower and change.  The concierge told us the room was booked for an hour.  But after forty minutes in the room, housekeeping came knocking even though we had the DND sign out.  A couple minutes after we shooed them away, the front desk called informing us the room was only ours for half an hour.  When we finally checked out of the room, the fromt desk clerk was rather surly.

Amenities

We had an interesting experience with the TV movies.  Apparently, there are two recent movies called Mother.  The cast listed on what we selected were not in the very dark movie we ended up watching.  The front desk reversed the $13.95 caharge for the movie.

The Wi-Fi was okay, but I often had to log on to the the account for the room next door instead of my own.   

A Week at Turtle Bay

Would you like to write a review on the Turtle Bay Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by Maglev; Feb 6, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:17 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This thread was originally posted elsewhere in FlyerTalk. I've decided to move this to the Hawaii (Travel) Forum as I think it is the best place for this information to be found by other members.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii Forum
Maglev likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:01 pm
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

When the post was moved, it lost its paragraphs and photos. I was able to edit the text, but needed to make this new post to restore photos.

Here's sunrise and sunset from our room:
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
The Zipline near Turtle Bay is a blast!
Maglev likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:28 am

My wife and I stayed in 2015 for our anniversary a few years back. We are booked to go back in the fall and bringing our young (10/8) children with us.

We love Turtle Bay!

Hoping the new management doesn't affect anything negatively. There have been some recent record about increases in resort and parking fees and done slips in maintenance and quality. Hoping they get worked out and that the Vista level offerings are updated as well.
Maglev likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:57 am

We will be back in a few short weeks and I will post a full review.

Has anyone been there very recently that can comment on the changes etc?
Maglev likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

We spent a week here again this year, and also had a great time. The Vista Level breakfast and afternoon pupus have been greatly curtailed, and they now charge for beach chairs at Kuilima Cove. But we still plan to go back next year!

I rented a mountain bike this time, and there are several great trails on the resort property good for a few hours of riding. The highlight for my wife was a hot salt stone massage.

Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Maglev
The Vista Level breakfast and afternoon pupus have been greatly curtailed...
When was the last time you went there? We were there last year during Thanksgiving and the Vista breakfast/pupu offerings were pretty poor for the amount of upcharge for those rooms. Tell me that it has not further deteriorated!
Maglev likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
When was the last time you went there? We were there last year during Thanksgiving and the Vista breakfast/pupu offerings were pretty poor for the amount of upcharge for those rooms. Tell me that it has not further deteriorated!
We had previously been here a year ago.

Breakfast this time was "North Shore Breakfast Bites--" minuscule trays of various savory concoctions. I tried the "frittata" the first day and it was so bad I never tried anything on other days. There was also yogurt and cereal, some small pastries, and minuscule trays of fruit. Afternoon pupus were basically just mixed nuts and fresh fruit.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The highlight for my wife was a hot salt stone massage.
Do you remember the name of the therapist who gave the hot stone massage. It's my wife's favorite massage but it's usually a crap shoot from place to place as to if the therapist knows what they are doing.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Do you remember the name of the therapist who gave the hot stone massage. It's my wife's favorite massage but it's usually a crap shoot from place to place as to if the therapist knows what they are doing.
Sorry, my wife does not remember the name of the therapist.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

We returned for eight nights this year. The Kula Grill (casual dining venue) was being renovated and was not open during our stay. Vista Level breakfast offerings have improved to include one hot dish daily. Here's a view of Venus from our balcony (Saturn and Mercury were visible too, but don't show up in the photo):

Coathanger likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:34 pm

We returned for eight nights this year. The Kula Grill (casual dining venue) was being renovated and was not open during our stay. Vista Level breakfast offerings have improved to include one hot dish daily. Here's a view of Venus from our balcony (Saturn and Mercury were visible too, but don't show up in the photo)
Thanks for the information. I'll be there next week. Do you happen to know when the Grill will reopen? Are there any Vista offerings in the afternoon, or have they discontinued that?

Mahalo.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 26, 2021 at 11:03 am Reason: image removed from quote
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC
Thanks for the information. I'll be there next week. Do you happen to know when the Grill will reopen? Are there any Vista offerings in the afternoon, or have they discontinued that?

Mahalo.
I doubt the Grill will be opening soon. The renovation looks pretty major. As for Vista offerings in the afternoon, there were mixed nuts and fresh fruits. Best wishes for good weather!
747FC likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:16 pm

Just returned from a quick two-nighter, and will share the following:

It's a relaxing place to be if one gets a room with lots of wave-crashing-on-rocks sound. Truly magical.

Some more positives:

Outstanding food for reasonable (at least by Honolulu standards) prices. We just love the baby back ribs at Lei Lei's. The catch of the day and the pork shank at Pa'akai were great.

And, some criticisms:

The room rate is but a fraction of the cost one actually pays. Not even mentioning taxes, the resort fee was $50 pd, and the self-parking fee was $15 pd. The only value we got our of the resort fee was wifi, and we could have hot-spotted from our phone if we wanted to, so basically no calue for us.

The breakfast food offerings at the Vista level are embarassing. One hot serving: Yesterday it was a tepid ham and egg sandwich. Today it was fried rice. Wowee! No Nespresso-type machine available either in the room or in the "lounge," so if you want espresso, lattes, or cappucino, one needs to go downstairs and pay for it at the coffee shop. The afternoon offerings of nuts are laughable. How about some hot bites from Costco? At least that would be competitive with executive lounges at Hilton .

A few better offerings at the Vista level, and it would could be a value-add.
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by 747FC; Dec 26, 2019 at 7:20 pm Reason: added info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.