Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Kauai - Helicopter or boat/ferry better?

Old Nov 19, 17, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

While explaining which you like better please mention what guide/company/tour you went with. Please post website link. Thanks
Old Nov 22, 17, 7:31 pm

I think both are worth it.

I'm actually going to Kauai tomorrow and for this trip I've booked a Na Pali coast cruise tour with snorkeling.

I will point you to THE very best series of guide books to all of the major hawaiian islands: The Hawaii Revealed Series.

https://www.hawaiirevealed.com/kauai-revealed/

Get it from amazon or get it free from local library. The author actually lives on Kauai and has EXTENSIVE knowledge and in this book there's stuff that even locals get surprised by.

He has a GREAT section reviewing boat tour companies and helicopter companies.

With that said I'm booking with Holo Holo for the Kauai boat tour, since they go all the way fairly north up the na pali coast then they go to Niihau (forbidden island) as well and come back for a great 7 hour trip.

Blue Hawaiian is recommended for helicopter as is Jack Harter helicopters (these guys let you take the doors off for an additional fee) But realize in general helicopter tours are about $300 or more per person and will last about 1hr. Boats are less than $200 and can be 4-7 hours long with food and snorkel equipment provided as well
Old Nov 25, 17, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
See https://www.tombarefoot.com/ for numerous options. I've used Holo Holo and enjoyed their snorkel cruise with views of the Na Pali coast.
Old Dec 8, 17, 9:27 am
Suspended

We did both, it's worth it.
Old Jan 30, 18, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
From a former Hawaii Helicopter tour pilot. IT IS THE PART OF THE TRIP YOU WILL REMEMBER!!!
Old Jan 31, 18, 12:02 am

Programs: UA Plat
As a hiker, I can say that itís annoying to hear the thump thump thump noise pollution of the choppers swooping by every 15-20 mins during peak hours in an otherwise beautifully quiet place.
But helitours undoubtedly are quick and breathtaking.
Old Feb 17, 18, 1:43 pm

The helicopter tours with Jack Harter are fantastic. We did the doors-off tour. It's a full hour, whereas most of the other tour companies give you about 50 minutes. Our pilot was great, had a calm, reassuring voice, which is helpful for first-time helicopter fliers in a vehicle with NO DOORS. The open-air views as we flew through Waimea Canyon and the Na Pali coast are gorgeous beyond words (so here's a picture). The boat tours are also fun - they last about 5-6 hours, but during the winter it will be swelly and many riders get sick. Bring ginger and dramamine. The boat ride gives you lingering views of the coast (if you're not sick). This time of year, the swells can be 15 to 20 feet, which even on a big 60-passenger catamaran make many people barfy. In the summer, it's much calmer. So bottom line is if you want a high-adrenaline adventure with spectacularviews, take the helicopter. It was a top-10 experience for me. The boat ride is also great - and from now under April you'll probably see humpbacks too. But it's not for everyone. If you get seasick easily, you'll probably want to skip it.

(Couldn't post photo because I don't have enough points.)
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Feb 17, 18, 2:10 pm

Well after taking the ferry from Molokai to Maui and back I remember swearing I would never get on another ferry in HI again. Somehow we made it but barely. I will fly next time. The heli trip was nice and you can get a feel for the island and how rural it is.
Old Feb 17, 18, 2:57 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
If you're looking at helicopter tours, you might want to look at airplane options as well:
https://kauaiairtour.com/?gclid=EAIa...iAAEgJS2fD_BwE
Old Feb 23, 18, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Kayak!
Old Mar 13, 18, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
For boat tours, is there a difference between big boats and small boats? How about if you want to land on a secluded beach of the Napali Coast?
Old Mar 17, 18, 12:41 am

Boat! Wife and I went on HoloHolo in December and due to weather couldn't make it out to the crater....BUT we were able to boat around the WHOLE island. Was awesome.......NaPali coast, Dolphins, snokeling, paradise.
Old Apr 2, 18, 3:11 pm

Honestly you need to do both! Kauai is so beautiful--and so much of it is only accessible by helicopter or boat--so you really do need to do both to get the full experience. The Napali Coast is gorgeous from the deck of a catamaran--you can see the towering sea cliffs from below while also being able hop off and snorkel in the sheltered bays and little caves. I like Makana Charters--the groups are small so the experience is intimate.

But then nothing compares to seeing Napali from the sky--so a helicopter tour is a must as well. You can see the Napali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and even Manawaiopuna Falls of Jurassic Park fame! I recommend Mauna Loa which flies out of Lihue. They have a doors off option and it's a private flight so you'll get a great seat. I hope the helps! Good luck!
Old Apr 9, 18, 2:50 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
The answer is both. We used Jack Harter doors off option. Just spend the money. Trust me it will be worth it to do both land and sea. I forget with Boat tour we went with but I am so glad we did both as they each one gives you a different perspective on what is a stunning natural landscape.

Search this Thread