Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Cheapest way to fly into and out of Hawaii in December 2017?

Old Sep 3, 17, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

My parents and I are planning to go and travel around the US during December. I recognize that it'll be high season so prices will be high. We are somewhat flexible with the dates. We'll be flying out of YVR. Then spend either two days in SFO or LAX, whichever is cheaper in terms of airfare. Next fly into HNL and spend about two weeks there. After that, I'll split with my folks as they'll fly back to YVR and I'll head to BOS. Then spend another two weeks there before flying back to YVR at around January 4, 2018. A quick search on Kayak shows that it'll cost my folks about $700 for their airfares and mine will be about $1084. Are these decent prices? Got any suggestions on how to get it even lower?

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 17, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I think they're very decent prices for the time of year. The $700 is about the going rate for flights to Hawaii. $1084 doesn't surprise me. It's a little high, but not terribly so.
Old Sep 3, 17, 1:27 pm

It's about right. Keep your eyes on the prices they can come down sometimes
Old Sep 3, 17, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Are you planning on only visiting Honolulu (Oahu) or are you also planning on visiting other islands. Perhaps an open jaw or stopover might work.
Old Sep 4, 17, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
I think they're very decent prices for the time of year. The $700 is about the going rate for flights to Hawaii. $1084 doesn't surprise me. It's a little high, but not terribly so.
I think it's cheaper if we don't include stopovers in SFO or LAX. They haven't been there before so I thought we could spend a little bit of time over there and I'll show them around.

Got any suggestions on how I can bring down my airfares?

Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
It's about right. Keep your eyes on the prices they can come down sometimes
I'm planning to book within the next week or two. It's less than 3 months before departure so if I don't book soon, then I'm afraid the airfares will be even higher. Right?

Originally Posted by Lavarock7 View Post
Are you planning on only visiting Honolulu (Oahu) or are you also planning on visiting other islands. Perhaps an open jaw or stopover might work.
I have been to Oahu and Maui before. Right now the plan is to spend two weeks there and just show my folks around. This trip is more like me spending some quality time with my folks. I have thought about flying to the other islands like Kauai and the Big Island, but I'm not sure if my folks can handle the constant moving around. We're still talking about it, but I think it's probably going to be Oahu and Maui.

Can you tell me how you'll structure the open jaw and stopover itinerary?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 4, 17 at 6:38 am Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old Sep 4, 17, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I think it's cheaper if we don't include stopovers in SFO or LAX. They haven't been there before so I thought we could spend a little bit of time over there and I'll show them around.

At that time of year, I would look at prices on + or - one or two days. Sometimes it can make a substantial difference if you have some flexibility.
Old Sep 4, 17, 11:05 am

Programs: HH Silver
If you can give up SFO and LAX, try looking at flying out of BLI to OGG or KOA and taking in 2 islands... Just a thought.
Old Sep 4, 17, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post

I'm planning to book within the next week or two. It's less than 3 months before departure so if I don't book soon, then I'm afraid the airfares will be even higher. Right?

I have been to Oahu and Maui before. Right now the plan is to spend two weeks there and just show my folks around. This trip is more like me spending some quality time with my folks. I have thought about flying to the other islands like Kauai and the Big Island, but I'm not sure if my folks can handle the constant moving around. We're still talking about it, but I think it's probably going to be Oahu and Maui.

Can you tell me how you'll structure the open jaw and stopover itinerary?
Others here are more familiar with the two types above. However I'll try.

An Open jaw is where you might come from LAX to KOA but your return trip is HNL to LAX. Thus you would book a flight from KOA to HNL on your own. This allows you to decide later when you want to leave KOA and head to HNL. Perhaps you long for the crowds :-)

A stopover is where you might find a flight from LAX to HNL but it stops on Maui to let people off. You might be able to schedule the ticket so that you get off on Maui and stay a few days before continuing on to HNL.

It is my understanding that you cannot do a stopover AND an open jaw on the same itinerary.
Old Sep 4, 17, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
If you can give up SFO and LAX, try looking at flying out of BLI to OGG or KOA and taking in 2 islands... Just a thought.
Yes, that have definitely crossed my mind. I have talked with my folks and I might just do a solo trip to both the Big Island and Kauai if they can't handle the constant flying. What are the cheapest options to get to those two islands from either Oahu or Maui?
Old Sep 4, 17, 7:31 pm

Under $100 usually I think. What I meant was that there are flights from BLI to OGG for $179, then it is about $79 from OGG to HNL I think.
Old Sep 4, 17, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

When do you guys think I should pull the trigger and book the airfare? Say two months before departure or asap?

What other sites are you guys using or would recommend to book the airfare in Canadian Dollars? I'm getting some really nice prices on Momondo right now. Still tempted to wait and see how prices will be like next week.
Old Sep 5, 17, 3:13 pm

Too many variables to know for sure. I use AS to fly to Hawaii, so I book asap, and then can refare if the price goes down.

Do you have a CC that does not charge a foreign transaction fee so you can book in USD? If so, I would look at Costcotravel.com Also, if you add just a single night in a cheap hotel, it can bring the price down lower than just airfare alone.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Last edited by tatterdema; Sep 5, 17 at 3:31 pm
Old Sep 6, 17, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
google.com/flights and set an alert to your parameters.
Old Sep 7, 17, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

So I'm thinking of buying YVR-OGG and HNL-YVR. Now I need airfare to move around the islands. Is it just me or that the airfare have went up over the years? I don't recalled paying more than $100 for a 1-way trip from OGG-HNL or any other island 5 years old.
Old Sep 8, 17, 12:51 am

I am showing $64 to $72 every single day in December. Thats pretty reasonable.

Search this Thread