Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Kauai and Big Island with 1 Year Old

Old Aug 29, 17, 5:26 pm
Chy
Original Poster

We will be staying at the Marriott Resort Kauai and the Mauna Kea on the Big Island, my wife and I and our daughter who will be 1. I'm looking for suggestions on things to do outside the resorts. We plan on spending a lot of beach and pool time, but we would like to mix it up and go tour any good nearby sights.
Old Aug 30, 17, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, WN, DL, Hilton, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Chy View Post
We will be staying at the Marriott Resort Kauai and the Mauna Kea on the Big Island, my wife and I and our daughter who will be 1. I'm looking for suggestions on things to do outside the resorts. We plan on spending a lot of beach and pool time, but we would like to mix it up and go tour any good nearby sights.
The Kauai Marriott Resort is very family friendly. Huge pool, adjacent to a lawn and sand lagoon front. You'll see lots of other parents and kids there. Very close by the Marriott resort is the Kilohana Ranch/Plantation, it has a train ride around the Plantation that has a stop to feed, goats, mules, pigs, etc. A rum tasting room, and we enjoyed the luau dinner show there. On site at the ranch is Gaylord's restaurant which we enjoyed both for lunch and dinner. Also, close by the Marriott is a shopping mall.

Of course, Kauai offers lots of other beautiful sites and activities all over the island. You'd have to decide what you'd want to or could do with a 1 year old in tow.
Old Aug 31, 17, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Drive to Waimea Canyon & Kalalau Lookout.

If possible do Catamaran tour.
Old Aug 31, 17, 2:49 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Not sure if it's your thing, but on the Big Island at the Hilton Waikaloa, Dolphin Quest is a popular attraction with kids:
https://dolphinquest.com/hawaii-big-island/
Old Sep 3, 17, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
Along those lines, I really can't recommend the Mauna Kea Beach Resort. I tried it last year and got the impression they really don't care for the Marriott association, and most of the staff had this "too cool for school" attitude. It wasn't at all the elegant, relaxing place we thought it would be. Aside from the nice beach, there's not much going for it.
Old Sep 3, 17, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
My experience in Mauna Kea Beach Resort agrees with comments of DJ_Iceman above. It may be worth telephoning the Hilton Waikaloa and Marriott hotels to find out if they have any activities open to a non-guest with a 1 year old.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Sep 4, 17, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by 9Benua View Post
Drive to Waimea Canyon & Kalalau Lookout.

If possible do Catamaran tour.
Love the catamaran trips, but not with a 1 year old.

The kiddie beach at Poipu is nice and placid for that age.
Old Oct 29, 17, 3:53 pm

+1 for Poipu Beach
Also, Lydgate Park on the east shore near Wailua has a nice beach sheltered by a rock wall, great for kids and timid adults. Great place for a picnic.

Search this Thread