Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page > Best beaches for boogie boarding between Kona and Kawaihae?

Best beaches for boogie boarding between Kona and Kawaihae?

Old Jul 22, 17, 11:56 pm
Original Poster
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Best beaches for boogie boarding between Kona and Kawaihae?

Will be visiting the Big Island for the umpteenth time next month but it will be the 1st time with our 13 y.o. g-daughter. We're staying in Kona area. What beaches would you recommend for boogie boarding? Hapuna beach is great unless the surf isn't up. A-Bay maybe? Old airport beach?
Old Jul 23, 17, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I don't know I've ever been to A-Bay when there's been enough wave activity to make boogie boarding worth it. I will say, though, anyone considering boogie boarding, read this http://www.abc10.com/mobile/article/news/local/hawaiis-broke-neck-beach-paralyzes-sacramento-man/103-315660709

Cannot tell you how often people are Medi-vac'd from Hapuna and other places to Oahu because of a broken neck.
Old Jul 23, 17, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
I don't know I've ever been to A-Bay when there's been enough wave activity to make boogie boarding worth it. I will say, though, anyone considering boogie boarding, read this http://www.abc10.com/mobile/article/.../103-315660709

Cannot tell you how often people are Medi-vac'd from Hapuna and other places to Oahu because of a broken neck.
Thanks for the warning my friend. I remember a few "face plants" and "sand burns" at various HI beaches. We'll be cautious and not allow boogie boarding if there is too much surf or undertow. You need to respect the ocean, for sure.
Old Jul 24, 17, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
My husband and I went to Sandy's on Oahu just to sit and look at the surf/body boarders. The lifeguard came over to us and told us not to go in unless we were very experienced since the water was so rough and the breaks were hard.
Old Jul 24, 17, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Former HA Plat (now not), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, GE
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
+1

Years ago, I went to a demonstration on ocean-safety rescue that was held at Makapuu beach. There were all sorts of equipment there, including a helicopter. They ended up stopping the demo because they had to use the helicopter for a real rescue.

My advice: Do not body surf at any beach not attended by a lifeguard, and ask their advice about the advisability of entering the water.
Old Aug 2, 17, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

I'll be looking for moderate surf, 2-4 ft. Not taking any risks.

Search this Thread