Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Hotel/lodging on Kauai - Questions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2003, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Consolidated "Hotel/lodging on Kauai - Questions/Recommendations" thread

OK now I have picked the island of Kaua'i. Has anyone stayed at "Radisson Kauai Beach Resort" or the "Kauai CCoconut Beach resort" Which would you says is more beautiful, peaceful, Romantic, has more beach, and is worth the price. Or if anyone can suggest a hotel on Kauai thats a decent price.

Thanks

------------------
Sorry mama i gots to get all the miles i can

Brian
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:28 pm

I have stayed at both hotels. The Radisson is a bit more lavish and a little more secluded, but both offer decent beaches and fairly convenient locations for traveling around the island. The Coconut Beach resort is also located next to a shopping center, which may not be what you consider to be a good location for a quiet vacation. What is your budget? If you can afford more, you might want to consider the Marriott or the Princeville Resort. If you want more seclusion, the Poipu area has many nice hotels, but traveling from there to other spots on the island takes a bit longer.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 6:56 pm

I would pick the Coconut Beach Resort because of its more central loacation. I have been to Kauai about 20 times in last 30 years and find the Kapaa area the most convenient - the Coconut Beach is in Kapaa.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 10:40 pm

I'd vote for Radisson, unless you want your room to be fewer than, oh, 20 yards from the busiest road on the island (or maybe right up against it . . . what a lanai view!) and across the street from McDonalds or Burger King.
Now, if you want to really experience Kauai, stay on either the north or south shore, and only drive through Kapaa as necessary. I don't know prices on the south shore, but I do know that studio condos on the lush north shore can be had for as little as $65 a night.....
Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:00 am

I'd go with Radisson, but I would like to suggest that you add the Sheraton to the list. It's renovated, is located on Prime beach area and can be had for about $99/nite thru Priceline--a real no-brainer IMHO.

FYI, the Hyatt and Princeville are the top resorts on the island....I stayed in both and definitely recommend the Princeville over the Hyatt for (service, location, rooms) if your looking into this segment.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 7:38 pm

I've been out voted by the Radisson. OK, I like the Radisson too. You can't go wrong no matter where you stay as long as it's near the ocean. Have a great time!

Old Jan 13, 2003, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

ok I have never used price line at all is there a way to select what hotels you want to submitt to bids to or does it do all hotels?

------------------
Sorry mama i gots to get all the miles i can

Brian
Old Jan 14, 2003, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Before trying Priceline, check out Clark Howard's suggestions on his webpage.

The consumer advisor suggests you visit sites first where people explain what they bid and what they got.

Try the links listed here:

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/2002/12/31.html
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I think the Princeville is an excellent hotel! It's part of the luxury collection... IMHO the Princeville has the most gorgeous lobby in all of Hawai'i. The only problem with it is that it's pretty far away and the only thing you have near it is Hanalei. Last I remember there was a mini-fridge in our hotel room. It was stocked, but you can always take stuff out and put your food in there. The isolation also leads to another problem... restaurants. It's been awhile since I've visited Hanalei but you'd probably be stuck eating hotel food often unless you're into buying groceries at a general store in Hanalei.

Having a nice view and being close to the beach shouldn't be a problem, however. Hanalei Bay, one of the nicest beaches on Kauai IMHO is right next to the hotel... actually the hotel sits right on the beach. There is also a really nice pool.

I think it's time I revisited Hanalei.

Aloha
Old Sep 20, 2003, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
On the right as you approach Princeville. Puu Poa Condos are pretty nice. Be sure to check in to an upper floor unit with a bali hai view. Also keep in mind tyhe units are individually owned so the vary greatly. I'd call North Shore properties they manage many units near Hanalei and Princeville. You really really need a car on Kauai. Many places to explore on the island so wheels are essential.
http://www.kauai-vacation-rentals.com/
Have fun!

P.S. Don't be afraid to "bargain" on the condo rates...

[This message has been edited by coplatua1k (edited 09-20-2003).]
Old Sep 21, 2003, 6:17 pm

Thanks for the advice..I know princeville would be the best but I am a student and the pricing is prohibitive. I would like to settle on the Sheraton but I have read some wildly mixed reviews on FT and other sites so now im not sure what to do..
Old Sep 25, 2003, 12:38 pm

I was there in May 2001, and stayed at the Kapaa Sands condos (www.kapaasands.com). I absolutely LOVED it, each unit has a kitchen, and they were fairly inexpensive (rates about $100-$150 with free nights for longer stays). They are right on the ocean--my wife complained that the waves woke her up in the mornings! These are in a very nice area, next to the Coconut Plantation Marketplace. We had a great time there!

Good Luck!
Old Sep 25, 2003, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

I am leaving for Kauai in 12 days I rented my condo from www.kauaivacationrentals.com They have a selection of condo's houses with ocean front, ocean view, no ocean view, I got one in Princeville all fees inclued will cost 1,135.00 for seven days that is an ocean front. That is including the clean up fee of 100.00 all taxes and booking fee of 35.00. Base price 900.00 for a week.

------------------
Sorry mama I gots to get all the free miles I can.

Brian
Old Sep 28, 2003, 5:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by brians51:
I am leaving for Kauai in 12 days I rented my condo from www.kauaivacationrentals.com They have a selection of condo's houses with ocean front, ocean view, no ocean view, I got one in Princeville all fees inclued will cost 1,135.00 for seven days that is an ocean front. That is including the clean up fee of 100.00 all taxes and booking fee of 35.00. Base price 900.00 for a week.

</font>
awesome, have fun and let us know how the condo is.

Old Sep 30, 2003, 2:12 am

FOr a mere $225k you can buy a 2-month share in my former house in Princeville. (We sold it in July, I have no financial ties to this.)

http://www.kauaihomesales.com/featured.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.