Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Planning a Maui trip - September

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I encourage you to use the master thread on the property to ask questions. However, according to Hyatt there is no resort fee on a points booking.

Enjoy waived resort fees on free night awards

I'd take a print out of that page on vacation for peace of mind.
Perfect!! Thanks !!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
For car rentals, try this page. I have used Discount Hawaii Car Rentals (serving Maui, Honolulu, Kauai, Kona, Hilo and Molokai car rentals) before and was pleased.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrentals.com/
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
www.autoslash.com has always found me the lowest rates. They have access to a lot of discount codes. You can make a rez. somewhere else and then input your data or go right to their site and make a rez. They email you when they find a lower rate.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:53 pm

Wailea

Well if you decide to stay at the Grand Wailea then you can get a certificate from voting for this photo for 5% off the lowest rate and a 2000 HHonors bonus.

http://stories.hilton.com/grand-wail...7-8b66ad8787d8

We just completed a stay there. Best pool on Maui for families.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:54 am

Families

That is the true word as it is filled with kids and is a very very large resort.
We got lost twice and said if we were staying we would never go back to the room once out at pools as it is quite a maze and chairs seem at a premium.
Not my kind of holiday and I teach little ones.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Refining a Maui-Molokai trip (4 nts each)

Title says it all...

Day 1 - Flying into OGG on a Saturday afternoon. By the time, I pick bags, rent a car, drive to Lahaina, it will be late afternoon. I assume any day time activities can be written off?
Day 2, 3 - Snorkel at either Molokini or Oluwalu reef. Hike Sliding Sands trail. Both of these are half-day activities and don't leave a lot of room for any other major activity. So I am assuming these need to be reserved for different days.
Day 4 - Haleakala sunrise. Can this be on same day as Road to hana? Or would that be packing in to much? If too much, then I could keep it for Road to hana
Day 5 - Haleakala sunrise. (backup); Pipiwai trail?? I will be flying OGG-MKK late afternoon (perhaps around 4pm /4:30pm) so that needs to be considered. Arrive at Molokai.

Molokai...
I have a lot of questions about Molokai. I am here for 4 nights (and to some it may seem a lot in an island with nothing to do) but I did want to spend some time away in quiet and away from hustle bustle.

- Can someone recommend hiking areas here? Would love to go on few hikes.
- Any vegetarian friendly places for the Mrs?
- Most importantly, how are the snorkel or SNUBA operators from Molokai? I don't mind doing a LOT of snorkel/water activities here. Less crowd, better prices and gives opportunity to explore others things on island of Maui.

Much appreciate some thoughts.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Title says it all...

Day 1 - Flying into OGG on a Saturday afternoon. By the time, I pick bags, rent a car, drive to Lahaina, it will be late afternoon. I assume any day time activities can be written off?
Day 2, 3 - Snorkel at either Molokini or Oluwalu reef. Hike Sliding Sands trail. Both of these are half-day activities and don't leave a lot of room for any other major activity. So I am assuming these need to be reserved for different days.
Day 4 - Haleakala sunrise. Can this be on same day as Road to hana? Or would that be packing in to much? If too much, then I could keep it for Road to hana
Day 5 - Haleakala sunrise. (backup); Pipiwai trail?? I will be flying OGG-MKK late afternoon (perhaps around 4pm /4:30pm) so that needs to be considered. Arrive at Molokai.

Molokai...
I have a lot of questions about Molokai. I am here for 4 nights (and to some it may seem a lot in an island with nothing to do) but I did want to spend some time away in quiet and away from hustle bustle.

- Can someone recommend hiking areas here? Would love to go on few hikes.
- Any vegetarian friendly places for the Mrs?
- Most importantly, how are the snorkel or SNUBA operators from Molokai? I don't mind doing a LOT of snorkel/water activities here. Less crowd, better prices and gives opportunity to explore others things on island of Maui.

Much appreciate some thoughts.
For only 8 days most people would usually do just one island. Your Maui schedule is packed and you may be underestimating the time it takes get places. Traveling inter island can eat up a lot of time (drop off car/shuttle/check in/security/fly/pick up car). Be sure to check the availability of things like Haleakala if the government shutdown is still going on.

1. Yes by the time you get to Lahaina it will probably be late afternoon or early evening.
2/3. Yes splitting it to different days would be better. If you want to do Sliding Sands why not combine it with the sunrise on Haleakala?
4. Doing both would be a really long day. Road to Hana is usually 1 whole day.
5. Lahaina -> Pipiwai -> Kahului will probably be about 3 hours of just driving so take that into account.

I haven't been to Molokai in years so I can't really help. Keep in mind Molokai very rural so other than outdoors stuff during the day, there is not much to do/eat/etc. If you do go to Molokai then Kalaupapa is a must do.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Unfortunately, my timeframes don't allow extended getaways. This is my 4th (and longest trip) to Hawaii... last one was a 5 day stay on Lanai. So by that comparison this is much longer.

I agree... Maui travel times are no joke. They can be quite extensive. That's why I need to be selective about what can/ cannot be accomplished at Maui. I didn't combine Haleakala hike with sunrise because sunrise really makes an early start to the day. Not sure if I will be ready to take on the grueling hike being a little under slept. Also, I checked the NPS website and they are still taking reservations but with a caveat (the locations may not be staffed given the shutdown). Do they shutdown the area if there is no staff??

Good point on #5 .

Point taken on Molokai but that's kind of the purpose. Get away from touristy food and loud bars etc. Try to get some peace and quiet. It seems Hotel Molokai runs a tour/adventure desk as well. I might call them and see if they have things to recommend over there.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:00 pm

Supposedly at Haleakala they have someone there in the morning to enforce the sunrise rules. I believe that the rest of the park is open but there won't be a staff presence. Maybe just show up really early at 3am and take a nap, watch the sunrise, then do the hike? Or do the hike then watch the sunset rather than the sunrise?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.