FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   HNL Lounge Options for an Early Evening AA Departure? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1848107-hnl-lounge-options-early-evening-aa-departure.html)

hurnik Jun 14, 2017 9:23 am

HNL Lounge Options for an Early Evening AA Departure?

Is this the proper forum to ask about an airport lounge? I didn't see any sections for airports, they seem to be subdivided in the Frequent Flier program areas, but then it's for each airline (ie, if you have an American Airlines specific airport question, go the AA forum).

Basically I am wanting to know what the "best" lounge is for the HNL airport given that I don't have an international ticket and would have to pay for lounge access (sort of).

My options:

1) I have a DL Skymiles card, so can pay $27 for lounge access each
2) I can buy day pass at like $59 (?) each for AA lounge.
3) I have Priority Pass via Hilton Honors Surpass Amex which I think is $27 each for two diff. lounges
4) I have 2 coupons for the United Club lounge

Basically we get kicked out of the hotel at 10:30 or maybe noon if I can get late checkout and flight doesn't leave until 6:30 p.m. back to mainland. We are traveling on AA on award tickets in F, but that doesn't get me anything in terms of lounge access, AFAIK. (I just mention it in case it matters for other lounge access).

I know there's no showers, but I don't think we'll need that before we leave.

Thank you.

Yoshi212 Jun 14, 2017 10:01 am

The best place for this would be the Hawaii forum under destinations but I'll leave that judgement up to a MOD. The Plumeria lounge is far from your gates even with the bus which runs on "island time". DL or AA lounges will be your better choice. While free the UA lounge isn't a standout. But that depends on how much time you end up having there. If you have 45 minutes to burn I'd just use those UA passes.

You may be asked to leave your room at 10:30/noon but generally that doesn't mean you have to leave the grounds of the hotel or that they won't hold your baggage until you're ready to depart for the airport. Many hotels offer a day package with fitness center/spa access. For an 18:30 flight one won't have to leave for the airport until ~16:00 depending on where you're staying in relation to the airport. That's plenty of time to visit a place and/or a nice last meal on the island.

obscure2k Jun 14, 2017 10:50 am

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Hawaii Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

747FC Jun 14, 2017 11:26 am

OP: I agree with Yoshi212 that there are better options than the airport lounge for spending the day. When you do get to the airport, the Plumeria lounge in the Interisland Terminal is a PP lounge, and that is a bit closer to the AA gates than the UC lounge. But, free is free, and only you can decide if it is worth the extra 5 minute walk.

hurnik Jun 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks everyone! (Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. For some reason it never occurred to me to check the Destination subforums). But now I know (now, the question is: will I remember this information? haha)

Yeah, I suppose we could certainly have the Hotel (we're staying at the Embassy Suites Waikiki) hold our stuff and maybe just continue to sit by the pool and relax.

I think we'll go that route, and then if we have like 1.5 hours to kill at the airport, use the free tickets (our next travel won't be until Jan 2019 as I'll have spent my budget on 3 weeks in Hawaii).

Lavarock7 Jun 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Oh to have such problems... :-)

When I was about 50 I arrived in HNL and my interisland flight was not until 1st thing in the morning (perhaps 5am). I exited the main terminal and went to interisland terminal where I stretched out on a comfy chair. Then they announced that the terminal was closing. I exited the terminal (should have gone gateside back to the main terminal but didn't) and realized that I did not have a ticket for same day entrance to the main terminal.

I slept on a concrete bench outside the interisland terminal with those "keep your luggage with you" message every 10 minutes. I left my luggage unprotected while I slept. This was after 9-11 and there was an armed serviceman patrolling near me with machine gun.

It was the only time I felt that Hawaii REALLY was a 3rd world country. :-)

beckoa Jun 16, 2017 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Lavarock7 (Post 28443584)
Oh to have such problems... :-)

When I was about 50 I arrived in HNL and my interisland flight was not until 1st thing in the morning (perhaps 5am). I exited the main terminal and went to interisland terminal where I stretched out on a comfy chair. Then they announced that the terminal was closing. I exited the terminal (should have gone gateside back to the main terminal but didn't) and realized that I did not have a ticket for same day entrance to the main terminal.

I slept on a concrete bench outside the interisland terminal with those "keep your luggage with you" message every 10 minutes. I left my luggage unprotected while I slept. This was after 9-11 and there was an armed serviceman patrolling near me with machine gun.

It was the only time I felt that Hawaii REALLY was a 3rd world country. :-)

At least it wasn't snowing :)

Wish there was an L&L in the airport...

hi-guy Jun 16, 2017 2:05 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 28449184)
Wish there was an L&L in the airport...

Short walk to Airport Location: https://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/locations/

Code:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Airport+Upper+Level+(Interisland+Terminal),+Honolulu,+HI/L%26L+Hawaiian+Barbecue,+550+Paiea+St+%23132,+Honolulu,+HI+96819/@21.3348796,-157.9229434,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x7c006fa148ca215d:0x6ba784c8c443e00f!2m2!1d-157.923154!2d21.33348!1m5!1m1!1s0x7c006fa873a4d759:0xd6998c2efb54da20!2m2!1d-157.9158762!2d21.3352329