Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Preparing for summer 2018 itinerary PHX>OGG>HNL>PHX

Old May 6, 17, 11:19 am
Original Poster

I need to book 4 tickets, but I could feasibly break them up 2 and 2 if I have no choice. I'm ok with booking 2 now and waiting for others to come available too.

I believe hawaiian and AA are the only nonstops from Phoenix. I want to avoid AA on the HNL>PHX leg because they're only red-eyes and the planes are awful without wifi or entertainment.

I was originally thinking of using avios on AA nonstop phx>ogg.
Then using korean air on hawaiian to get a stopover in HNL.
But I think I can only book round trip awards on korean partners? And I don't think I can use avios on hawaiian, right?

If I use korean on hawaiin for the whole trip, I don't think there are any nonstop flights PHX>OGG. Are there limits to the stopover? We'll be at OGG for 2 weeks before moving on to HNL.

We are traveling on saturdays, though I can move that by a day or 2 if necessary. Hawaiian only has 1 nonstop flight HNL>PHX a day, so it seems 4 award seats is highly unlikely?

Any other ideas? I'm not opposed to flying SW in/out of LAX/SAN either.
Old May 6, 17, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
PHX-LAX-OGG would put you on a 321 LAX-OGG; might be worth checking into.

On the return, AA operates a 7AM or 730 AM flight on a 321 HNL-LAX and then back you go to PHX. Also, Hawaiian operates an 8 AM flight HNL-LAS, so you could construct a HNL-LAS-PHX itinerary pretty easily.
Old May 6, 17, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
PHX-LAX-OGG would put you on a 321 LAX-OGG; might be worth checking into.

On the return, AA operates a 7AM or 730 AM flight on a 321 HNL-LAX and then back you go to PHX. Also, Hawaiian operates an 8 AM flight HNL-LAS, so you could construct a HNL-LAS-PHX itinerary pretty easily.
The PHX-LAX-OGG would be AA? But that would mean more avios since it's not nonstop?

So it seems the cheapest is 25K avios with AA PHX-OGG and HNL-Phx (on a sunday). I'd need to buy interisland flights and the AA planes are lame.

For Korean Air, it looks like hawaiian just has PHX-HNL-OGG. If I want a stopover in HNL, will they let me backtrack to do OGG-HNL-PHX? This would be 30K miles, lame planes, but I wouldn't need to buy interisland flights separately. But what are the chances of 4 awards on their flights that are just once a day (especially PHX-HNL)? Would they allow OGG-HNL-LAX-PHX too (stopover on HNL, 2 connections?)? The HNL-LAX plane seems better as a 330?

For Korean on Delta, it looks like I have a few PHX-LAX-OGG options a day. And for the return I can only do HNL-LAX-PHX. It's only 25K, better planes, but I have to find my own interisland.

Hope I'm not missing any other way to do one ways. I lean toward Korean options. When do they open their award bookings compared to delta and hawaiian?
Old May 7, 17, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Ugh, I just read that hawaiian fares are calulated on mileage, so that's out.

Search this Thread