Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 3 weeks in Hawaii too much?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Is 3 weeks in Hawaii too much?

I'm planning a vacation in Hawaii with my wife. We've been to Hawaii before, but only in Oahu. This time, we want to check out Maui, Big Island and Kauai.

Just wondering if 3 weeks is enough or is it too much?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
That totally depends on your vacation style. I love Hawaii, but personally find two weeks about enough at a time. We spent five days on the Big Island last year (our first visit there), and enjoyed it but were ready to move on. Maui is great and diverse, so you can spend time on different parts of the island and get different experiences. Maybe three weeks would be good after all!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Went for 3 weeks with my wife, touring Oahu, Kauai and the big island. Three weeks seemed perfect, and always felt we could have used an extra day here or there to explore more. We did a combination of lazy beach days and active hiking days.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
We love Hawaii and have visited all the islands - there is so much to see and do on each island. I think that 3 weeks would allow you plenty of time for sightseeing on each island you visit without having to rush through it all in a shorter amount of time. A combination of active days and beach days is ideal. That way, you don't return home feeling like you need a vacation from your vacation!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 26, 2017 at 5:29 pm Reason: Removed manual signature from post per FT rule
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
If you're going to hop between islands, factor in losing about 1/2 day packing up, going to the airport, dropping off rental car, checking in, clearing security, flight time, baggage claim, rental car...

That said, my wife and I spend about 50% relaxing at the beach or pool, and the other 50% exploring the islands, and after 4 week-long trips, there is still so much to see and experience! I think 3 weeks is a good amount of time, maybe a week per island? My picks would be Big Island, Maui, and Kauai. Each island is so different!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by lordgii
I'm planning a vacation in Hawaii with my wife. We've been to Hawaii before, but only in Oahu. This time, we want to check out Maui, Big Island and Kauai.

Just wondering if 3 weeks is enough or is it too much?
Three weeks is good. But, we d a three-week minumum vacation anytime we travel internationally. From where are you visiting?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
3 weeks is not enough. Our first visit (1999) was 10 days; 2000 was 14 days; 2001 was 3 wks; 2002>onward we stay 4 wks and usually visit 2 islands. Four weeks is our max.

But if you can visit for 3 wks I'd do a wk. each on Maui. Kauai & the BI. Enjoy.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:24 pm

I don't think that's too long, especially if you'll be on three islands.

If you're the type that likes to keep active, each island has plenty to do to keep you busy for a week, or you can enjoy a few relaxed beach days and still see a lot of each island.

I have yet to find my limit in Hawaii - I'm always sad to leave.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
No

Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:31 pm

I just returned from 3 weeks in Kaua'i. I've spent quite a bit of time on every island.

I adore Kau'ai (and returning again soon) but around the 2.5 weeks mark, I start to get island fever and want to go home. I start finding myself driving around the island in circles. Hearing the same songs on the radio, everyone driving 30mph and slow pace starts to wear on me.

3 weeks is lovely, but one of you may get island fever. I personally would only do 2 islands in 3 weeks.

I'm a business owner and the "hang ten" / aloha spirit is amazing for a few weeks, then I need to return to the mainland, hustle and bustle, tall buildings and seasons. I am ready to go.

Hawaii is a like a long-term romance, you have to find what works for you and it takes a few trips before you find your fit.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Three weeks in any one place might get boring and tiring, constantly having the pressure to go out and do something to make the most of your time there. You would better off splitting into two 10 day trips instead. Enjoy the first trip, digest the experience, then go back again a few months later to do more stuff.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I would still be able to do 3 weeks, largely because I have not been to Kauai in over 15 years - so would find a lot of stuff to do there. I also wouldn't mind spending a little time in Oahu, as I have also not been outside of HNL (the airport, not the city) in a similar amount of time. Despite having been to both multiple times, I could easily spend a week on both Maui and the Big Island.

Given the islands you are planning to visit, as well as not having been to any of them before - 3 weeks will be perfect. I would just note, from my (vague) recollection, that Kauai is a bit less populated and you may therefore find yourself getting a little bored if you're not necessarily the beach type (i.e. someone for whom laying on the beach for several days is perfectly fine) or the outdoorsy type.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by ANK25057
I just returned from 3 weeks in Kaua'i. I've spent quite a bit of time on every island.

I adore Kau'ai (and returning again soon) but around the 2.5 weeks mark, I start to get island fever and want to go home. I start finding myself driving around the island in circles. Hearing the same songs on the radio, everyone driving 30mph and slow pace starts to wear on me.

3 weeks is lovely, but one of you may get island fever. I personally would only do 2 islands in 3 weeks.

I'm a business owner and the "hang ten" / aloha spirit is amazing for a few weeks, then I need to return to the mainland, hustle and bustle, tall buildings and seasons. I am ready to go.

Hawaii is a like a long-term romance, you have to find what works for you and it takes a few trips before you find your fit.
I could easily get up and make breakfast, eat on the lanai, then sit by the pool under an umbrella all day and read and occasionally get wet, go in at the end of the day and shower, have a Mai tai, go to dinner, go to bed, and do it all again the next day for three weeks.

Since we have a rental condo, there are usually errands and projects, so it never happens that way, but it could!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Three weeks in any one place might get boring and tiring, constantly having the pressure to go out and do something to make the most of your time there.
I would argue, based on experience, that "Maui, Big Island and Kauai" are not the "same place", any more than traveling to Rome, Venice, and Florence are boring going to "the same place" - Italy.

We typically spend 12 nights every few years (week-long SVN stay and 5-nights-for-4 on points) on two islands, and it's just about right. We tried doing three once and it was a rush.

Then again, if you're going to sit on a porch, hang at the pool, go to dinner - spend two nights, twenty nights, whatever, until you're bored. I'm assuming duration is based on getting out and seeing the interesting parts of the islands.

There will always be more - we've spent 20+ days on Maui and only got to the Pipiwai trail the last trip. A well-planned week should do a good job on Kauai and Big Island, but you'll leave a few big tickets un-punched on Maui, IMHO.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:46 pm

I would argue that 3 weeks is too little time. But it all depends on how much total vacation time you have and budget. If retired and budget not an issue, you should spend several months. If the opposite, then 3 weeks is just about right. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.