Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Is 3 weeks in Hawaii too much?

Is 3 weeks in Hawaii too much?

Old May 5, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
For one island, yes. But given your plan to move around I think most people would be jealous of having that much time!
Old May 6, 2017, 10:23 am

We've spent a week on oahu, kauai, and big island. We didn't have enough time to see everything we wanted (and have lazy beach days too). 10 days to 2 weeks per island is better, especially big island. You really need to spend at least a few days on each side of that island otherwise you're driving too much. We're going 4 weeks next year, 2 on maui and 2 on oahu.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
At least week and a half on the Big Island

I highly recommend at least a week or a week and a half on the Big Island because everything is so spread out.

From the resorts, it is a day for coffee farm tours and a couple days in Kailua Kona shopping and looking around.

A full day to visit the green and black sand beaches. Then a day for Waimea, Pololu and Waipio Valleys and maybe a trail ride to see the valley.

You can spend a day driving up to the visitors center on Mauna Kea and then down to Hilo and waterfalls at Kahuna/ Akaka Falls and over to Rainbo falls. Then anywhere from a few hours to all day at the rainforest zoo to see the animals and tigers.

A day trip to Volcanoes National Park is a great trip but to really see lava flowing it is down below the park and a few hours each way at night. Then that long drive back to the Kona side.

Oahu maybe 4 days, Kauai 3 or 4 days, etc.

You really have to decide what you want to see and what is important to you. Some islands have better beaches, some better shopping, some better photographic experiences.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Three weeks is too little. (I wish I could afford to move there.) The most I've been able to do is 2.5 weeks, and I stay on only one island at a time.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA, NW
Three weeks in Hawaii would be fantastic!

I've been to Oahu, the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai, and all of them had a lot to see and do. It's not all beaches.

Others have described the attractions on the Big Island, but Maui has the Road to Hana, sunrise on Haleakala, Iwao Valley, and the old whaling port of Lahaina.

Kauai has the Na Pali cliffs and a drive into the interior that takes you through several climate zones. (I also think it is the most beautiful of the islands.) You can even see the privately-owned and off-limits island of Niihau from the south coast.

Oahu has Honolulu, of course, with the Bishop Museum (of natural history and anthropology), which will teach you about what you are seeing and have seen, historical sites about the monarchy period, the best shopping, lots of reflections of the cultures of the various Asian and Pacific peoples who live there, including fine ethnic restaurants.

I've been there three times and would happily go again.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by ksandness
Three weeks in Hawaii would be fantastic!

I've been to Oahu, the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai, and all of them had a lot to see and do. It's not all beaches.
Not only is it not all beaches, one can go for three weeks, never go to the beach and still have a lot to see and do.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Hawaii Magazine

Here are some trips suggested in our local magazine:

http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/conten...aii-road-trips

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.