SYD to OGG using miles

Old Mar 7, 17, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

SYD to OGG using miles

Hi, I'm trying to book a RT ticket for my daughter to fly from SYD to OGG roundtrip from April 3rd to 9th or 10th. Does anyone have any ideas what frequent flyer programs would be best for that route? I'm not experienced using the different alliances but have miles in many FF programs as well as Chase Ultimate Rewards and AMEX Membership Rewards. Thank you so much for any advice.
Old Mar 7, 17, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vikesfan10 View Post
Hi, I'm trying to book a RT ticket for my daughter to fly from SYD to OGG roundtrip from April 3rd to 9th or 10th. Does anyone have any ideas what frequent flyer programs would be best for that route? I'm not experienced using the different alliances but have miles in many FF programs as well as Chase Ultimate Rewards and AMEX Membership Rewards. Thank you so much for any advice.
You may or may not have much choice. You should first investigate which, if any, FFPs have award seats available on the desired dates of travel, and at what rates. Also check to determine the lowest-tier cash ticket: in some instances, redeeming your points for a cash ticket might be the cheapest option.

If cash fares are too high, report back about the award availability you found, and we can then make recommendations as to which program(s) you should redeem from for particular flights. Note that several programs offer one-way awards, so if you find an outbound award on united.com and an inbound award on delta.com, that might work too.
Old Mar 8, 17, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Since we don't say which programs you have miles with, or how many, we can't help you. Even if you did, we really could only look in the on-line calendar of these websites the same way you can to see what availability there is. We don't have access to a secret stash of miles, unfortunately. As far as the Chase UR go, you can try dummy bookings with the transfer partners to see if there is availability, but understand that these may disappear before the transfer is complete.

On a different note, I think this is going to be very difficult. The only sensible flight is on Hawaiian with a stop in HNL, otherwise your daughter is going to have ca 24 hrs of travel with a stopover on either side of the Pacific.
Old Mar 8, 17, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vikesfan10 View Post
Hi, I'm trying to book a RT ticket for my daughter to fly from SYD to OGG roundtrip from April 3rd to 9th or 10th. Does anyone have any ideas what frequent flyer programs would be best for that route?
Have you looked at which airlines fly route? Going via mainland USA will be more difficult
You are probably better to forget OGG and look for HNL. Then a separate transport HNL-OGG. SYD-HNL-OGG Great Circle map

Have you looked which airlines that (Aust?) Chase & (Aust?) Amex points can be transferred to?

Getting award flight close in is always hard. Also look from BNE/MEL.
Also just look at buying from JQ &/or HA with cash.

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia (not from all airports to all airports)
- American Airlines AA (LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
- Air Canada AC (YYR – SYD, BNE from Jun 2016) [Star Alliance]
- Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO IAH YVR via AKL) [Star Alliance]
- Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX via Tahiti. Last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
- Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
- Fiji Airways FJ (LAX HNL – BNE SYD BNE via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner)
- Hawaiian HA (HNL – SYD BNE) (AA & VA partner)
- Jetstar JQ JQ (HNL – SYD BNE)
- Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK DFW HNL YVR*– SYD BNE MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) {* seasonal}
- United UA (LAX SFO – SYD MEL) [Star Alliance]
- Virgin Australia VA (LAX – SYD BNE) (DL partner) MEL LAX restarting 4 April 2017
And others via Asia & Middle East
Old Mar 8, 17, 6:13 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Since HNL-OGG flights can be had fairly inexpensively for cash, looking at redemptions to HNL would indeed be your best bet. Although you could certainly search for awards that connect from HNL into OGG - I've had decent luck with HA interisland flight award seat availability in the past although that was booking much farther out. The only international flights directly into OGG are from Canada.

Non-stop options from SYD to HNL are on HA, QF or JQ...I believe HA may be the only one with daily service but am not positive. There are not-too-horrible options with one stop in countries to the west of Hawaii that could be worth looking at. Again, no idea what award availability would be like.

There is one non-stop option from BNE with HA and a non-stop from MEL with JQ though I don't believe either of those are daily schedules.

As others have mentioned you just have to see what's available for award redemptions in the programs in which you have enough miles/points (or the ability to transfer in). Sometimes available award seats are on less desirable routings - more stops, longer layovers, etc. so it sometimes comes down to how much time or hassle you want to exchange for cash savings - but all you can do is look and see. As for cash flights, look at Kayak, Google Flights, etc.

Without more details on what you have to work with that's about all I can think of.
Old Mar 8, 17, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I'm seeing a roundtrip fare April 3-10 SYD-OGG of 1172 AUD (about $885 USD). Outbound is SYD-BNE-HNL-OGG on QF/HA; return is OGG-HNL-SYD on HA.
Old Mar 8, 17, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your replies and advice. I think I will probably buy a ticket on Hawaiian for approximately $950 and perhaps use Chase Points at 1.5x via my Sapphire Reserve to pay for it. That would cost me about 63,000 points RT. Thanks again.

Search this Thread