Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at HNL, What to Do?" Thread (2016 and Onward)

Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Older posts may be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/727626-consolidated-layover-hnl-what-do-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Layover at HNL, What to Do?" Thread (2016 and Onward)

Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Thanks for posting an update; sounds like you enjoyed your layover and I'm glad the information you received was helpful.

As for Pipleline Bakery. to all the local kamaaina living on Oahu; my apologies for letting the cat out of the bag.
You are forgiven, but placed on probationary status.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
3 hours enough for Nico's Pier 38?

We have a 3:15 layover next week around lunch time and hanging around the airport doesn't sound fun. Arrive on HA35 from PHX at 11:20am and depart on HA253 to LIH at 2:36pm, same ticket. Think that's enough time to Lyft to Nico's Pier 38? Or anywhere else?

We'll probably have checked bags so we won't need to deal with anything larger than a backpack, and we both have PreCheck.

Thanks

Last edited by Lost; Oct 1, 2018 at 5:12 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lost
We have a 3:15 layover next week around lunch time and hanging around the airport doesn't sound fun. Arrive on HA35 from PHX at 11:20am and depart on HA253 to LIH at 2:36pm, same ticket. Think that's enough time to Lyft to Nico's Pier 38? Or anywhere else?

We'll probably have checked bags so we won't need to deal with anything larger than a backpack, and we both have PreCheck.

Thanks
It is doable, but here is my prediction based upon an on-time arrival and that you are not in the back of HA35.

11:20 Arrive
11:35 Doors Open, You deplane, When you see what gate you are at you summon Lyft
11:45 You are in Lyft, having previously determined curbside areas where Lyft picks up that are closest to the gate where you arrive,
12:00 Arrive Nicos
1:30 Depart Nicos
1:45 Arrive HNL
2:05 Through Security
2:15 At Gate
2:20 Boarding Starts

Of course, if you are less risk tolerant, you can shorted your stay at Nicos. On the other had, I think I was somewhat conservative in my estimate.
Lost likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
It is doable, but here is my prediction based upon an on-time arrival and that you are not in the back of HA35.

11:20 Arrive
11:35 Doors Open, You deplane, When you see what gate you are at you summon Lyft
11:45 You are in Lyft, having previously determined curbside areas where Lyft picks up that are closest to the gate where you arrive,
12:00 Arrive Nicos
1:30 Depart Nicos
1:45 Arrive HNL
2:05 Through Security
2:15 At Gate
2:20 Boarding Starts

Of course, if you are less risk tolerant, you can shorted your stay at Nicos. On the other had, I think I was somewhat conservative in my estimate.
Thanks so much ^ It looks like our flight is consistently arriving 10-30 minutes early, so we might give it a try. If it doesn't work out we'll have a lot more time on the way home...

Edit: Do 767s ever land on the reef runway, or is that primarily for departures? (Can you tell my risk tolerance based on the fact that I factor in taxi time as to whether I can make it to lunch? )
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:25 pm

Thanks so much ^ It looks like our flight is consistently arriving 10-30 minutes early, so we might give it a try. If it doesn't work out we'll have a lot more time on the way home...

Edit: Do 767s ever land on the reef runway, or is that primarily for departures? (Can you tell my risk tolerance based on the fact that I factor in taxi time as to whether I can make it to lunch? )
Depending on conditions, you could land on the reef, but I would bet not...
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:12 pm

Thanks
Just to update this, we had plenty of time.

Landed right at 11.
Off the plane at 11:20.
On the Uber curb about 11:35.
Uber picks us up at 11:50 (it takes an insane amount of time for Ubers to get from the waiting lot to the pickup).
At Nico's about 12:05
Leave Nico's at 12:45.
At the interisland terminal at 12:55.

The only worrying part was the precheck line at the interisland terminal was about 200 deep and extended waaay down the curb when we returned to the airport. I swear every Hawaiian has pre lol. I've never seen a pre line close to that long. It took about 30 minutes to get through.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:22 pm

Just to update this, we had plenty of time.

Landed right at 11.
Off the plane at 11:20.
On the Uber curb about 11:35.
Uber picks us up at 11:50 (it takes an insane amount of time for Ubers to get from the waiting lot to the pickup).
At Nico's about 12:05
Pretty consistent! Glad you made it back OK.
Lost likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 22, 2018 at 6:30 pm Reason: fix vbb code
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:31 am

Have a 5 hour layover in HNL at the beginning of April. Would really like to get some local plate lunch food, but our layover is at night from 6pm to 11pm.
Was considering Nico's but their dinner menu (apps and entrees) looks very different from the lunch menu (plate lunches). Any other suggestions for somewhere to get some hawaiian lunch fare in the evening? Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by djsinc
Have a 5 hour layover in HNL at the beginning of April. Would really like to get some local plate lunch food, but our layover is at night from 6pm to 11pm.
Was considering Nico's but their dinner menu (apps and entrees) looks very different from the lunch menu (plate lunches). Any other suggestions for somewhere to get some hawaiian lunch fare in the evening? Thanks!
Are you looking for Hawaiian food, or just a "local" establishment? For Hawaiian food, you might try: https://www.helenashawaiianfood.com/index.html This would require Uber or Taxi.

If you would like someplace for high-quality sushi close to the airport: Mitch's Sushi | The best place for fresh sushi in Honolulu, Hawaii! Note that you can bring your own alcoholic beverages there, so you might want to make a stop at a convenience store.

If you just want a plate lunch (not Hawaiian food), there is an L&L BBQ in the Airport Trade Center: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...hu_Hawaii.html
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:19 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by djsinc
Nico's suggests that you are willing to take a car service or mass transit from HNL. If that is the case, a little past Nico's on Nimitz Highway is Liliha Bakery which has both a diner and desert counter (poi donuts or coco puffs, anyone?) and pretty much next to it is a Zippy's that has pretty similar fare (and a decent bakery as well). I had dinner with my mom at the latter during a layover where I basically flew in and out on the same plane from/to IAD.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:14 pm

Long layover in HNL

Is it possible to schedule a morning flight from Kauai to HNL with an all day layover in HNL, connecting to a red eye to the mainland, and check luggage all the way through? We want to tour Pearl Harbor without an overnight stay in Honolulu. Failing that, is there a baggage storage service in HNL?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by jth163
Is it possible to schedule a morning flight from Kauai to HNL with an all day layover in HNL, connecting to a red eye to the mainland, and check luggage all the way through? We want to tour Pearl Harbor without an overnight stay in Honolulu. Failing that, is there a baggage storage service in HNL?
I haven't tried any of them
https://www.baggagestoragehawaii.com/
Daniel K Inouye Airport BAGGAGE STORAGE
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by jth163
Welcome to FT!

It would be helpful to have more information: What airline(s) are you flying? All on one ticket?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:41 pm

We are not going until next March so too early to make airline reservations; only have room reservations so far: 3 nights Maui then 9 nights Kauai. Waiting to see what fares Southwest offers, but I understand inter-island hops are only Hawaiian. Our other option is to schedule a round trip commute from Kauai and leave the baggage behind. Guess it depends on RT airfare vs cost to stop in Oahu on flight home + cost of luggage storage?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Slightly OT, but I prefer the malasadas at Pipeline Bakery in Kaimuki to Leonards.
Originally Posted by 747FC
Oh no! Now the Kaimuki sidewalks are going to be impassable. Please recant before it is too late.
Pipeline was closed for about a week earlier this month, so I went to Leonards as a consolation. I have to say, the batch I got were pretty darn good with a nice crispy crust and moist center; in short, more like a Pipeline malasada. I then was able to visit Pipeline when they were open and wouldn't you know it, someone was pulling out of the space right in front of them when I got there, so it was meant to be.

The Ube Haupia Mac Nut Bar was a 10/10 winner. I tried a Malamode and think I will just stick with regular malasadas going forward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.