Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Getting to FS Lanai - how to go about it

Getting to FS Lanai - how to go about it

Old Jan 10, 17, 10:35 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ORD
Programs: status free since 2017
Posts: 2,014
Getting to FS Lanai - how to go about it

I am planning a stay at FS Lanai as mini-honeymoon. However, getting there is quite a task! To my knowledge there are couple of options to go about it.... each with its own set of drawbacks. I'd appreciate some feedback on how to make this a little smoother.

SEA/PDX-OGG: Take one of the morning flights (on AS) to OGG and take the ferry from Lahania. However, earliest AS flight arrives in OGG around afternoon and even rushing to the harbor would mean a late evening arrival in FS Lanai.

SEA/PDX-HNL: Again, late morning/ mid afternoon arrival. Even if I hop on a short flight to LNY, it would be early evening arrival.

1. Ferry vs flight costs are roughly same. Would there be baggage charges on intra island flights? Ferry?

2. To make the best of time, I was considering spending a night (or two; depending on activities), i was considering stay in HNL/OGG and then head to Lanai early in the day. Where should I make the pit stop?

3. Is ferry more reliable than flight? On my return, I am planning on ferry to Lahaina and then shuttle straight to OGG for outbound flight. Would this be too tight?

Any other suggestions on getting to LNY would be appreciated!
carsnoceans is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 11:16 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,286
Congrats on your marriage! Too bad your schedule is so tight that you can only do a mini-honeymoon...

Travel to Lanai has always been an issue, especially during the winter months. While I am not sure about the current situation, for the decades that I traveled there very regularly, winter brought low-hanging clouds that sometimes prevented flights to/from, which wrecked many a traveler's plans.

If you are planning to take a shuttle from Lanai-Maui, for OGG departure (or in the opposite direction), be prepared for the cost of the Taxi and time to OGG. In normal conditions, it is much faster to fly directly from HNL.

It seems like your compressed travel schedule is a limiting factor: Can you delay your Hawaiian vacation until you have more time?
747FC is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 12:40 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ORD
Programs: status free since 2017
Posts: 2,014
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Congrats on your marriage! Too bad your schedule is so tight that you can only do a mini-honeymoon...

Travel to Lanai has always been an issue, especially during the winter months. While I am not sure about the current situation, for the decades that I traveled there very regularly, winter brought low-hanging clouds that sometimes prevented flights to/from, which wrecked many a traveler's plans.

If you are planning to take a shuttle from Lanai-Maui, for OGG departure (or in the opposite direction), be prepared for the cost of the Taxi and time to OGG. In normal conditions, it is much faster to fly directly from HNL.

It seems like your compressed travel schedule is a limiting factor: Can you delay your Hawaiian vacation until you have more time?
If HNL-LNY is an issue, I could do OGG and take a ferry. Little sea sickness never hurt anyone. To my research, the cost of taxi is around $80 between OGG-Lahania harbor. Shuttle is little less. Are those numbers really off?

How would you suggest transiting between Maui and Lanai? Should I take a day or two in Maui to stretch and then take the ferry? The issue with Maui is - late night arrival. Its basically waste of a hotel night.

I am planning a proper 4 day stay at FS Lanai and then travel time ex-ORD. It's almost 7-8 day trip if there is a stopover. Not really that compressed IMO.
carsnoceans is offline  
Old Jan 10, 17, 1:33 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,286
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
If HNL-LNY is an issue, I could do OGG and take a ferry. Little sea sickness never hurt anyone. To my research, the cost of taxi is around $80 between OGG-Lahania harbor. Shuttle is little less. Are those numbers really off?

How would you suggest transiting between Maui and Lanai? Should I take a day or two in Maui to stretch and then take the ferry? The issue with Maui is - late night arrival. Its basically waste of a hotel night.

I am planning a proper 4 day stay at FS Lanai and then travel time ex-ORD. It's almost 7-8 day trip if there is a stopover. Not really that compressed IMO.
What time of year are you going? If it is during the winter months (through March), the cloud issue was only sporadic. Rest of the year, not a problem. You might want to contact FS and see if it has been an issue more recently as it is possible that new equipment has changed things.

The price is about right. If you want transport OGG-Ferry, and would like to use the guy who was my regular driver, PM me. Very reliable and nice.

Regarding taking a day or two in HNL or OGG before LNY, it would seem that the small amount of time in one of these spots would not leave much time for sightseeing .
747FC is offline  
Old Feb 1, 17, 2:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: SPG Gold, RC Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 95
You could fly AS to HNL and connect to an inter-island flight on either Ohana or Island Airlines (When Larry Ellison bought Lanai, he also acquired Island Airlines to shuttle FS guests into his island). You should pre-arrange to be escorted to FS lounge located at the commuter terminal while waiting for your connecting flight. You could even check-in your room at the FS and get your keys in the lounge. The lounge is a nice oasis in the otherwise not so exciting commuter terminal.
sleepro is offline  
Old Feb 2, 17, 11:41 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SAN
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by sleepro View Post
You could fly AS to HNL and connect to an inter-island flight on either Ohana or Island Airlines (When Larry Ellison bought Lanai, he also acquired Island Airlines to shuttle FS guests into his island).
Island Air no longer serves Lanai; Ellison has sold the airline. Ohana by Hawaiian is currently the only scheduled option to LNY.
Hawaiian717 is offline  
Old Feb 2, 17, 12:36 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 59
Would ORD/DAL/HNL/LNY work? Its a Combo of AA and catch the 3pm to LNY. DEP ORD at 0515 arr LNY 1536.
cgyroof is offline  
Old Feb 2, 17, 1:21 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ORD
Programs: status free since 2017
Posts: 2,014
Originally Posted by cgyroof View Post
Would ORD/DAL/HNL/LNY work? Its a Combo of AA and catch the 3pm to LNY. DEP ORD at 0515 arr LNY 1536.
1 stop too many.

Does Island airlines have a separate (reasonably priced) ticket or needs to be worked with FS?
carsnoceans is offline  
Old Feb 3, 17, 3:28 pm
  #9  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BTR
Programs: AA PlatPro 2.3MM; Marriott LT Plat; Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
Posts: 6,090
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
1 stop too many.

Does Island airlines have a separate (reasonably priced) ticket or needs to be worked with FS?
Please read the previous post:

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717 View Post
Island Air no longer serves Lanai; Ellison has sold the airline. Ohana by Hawaiian is currently the only scheduled option to LNY.
This is from the Four Seasons website:
Ohana by Hawaiian Airlines offers a number of flights daily from Honolulu International Airport (HNL) to Lanai Airport (LNY), located just west of Lanai City. Guests of Four Seasons Resort Lanai travelling through Honoluluís airport earn complimentary entry to our exclusive Luxury Airport Lounge, a spacious and quiet retreat offering food and beverage services, entertainment, and Wi-Fi access.
controller1 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 17, 3:00 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: JRF
Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
Posts: 1,128
You are now aware there's a FS Lanai lounge at HNL again!

http://www.fourseasons.com/lanai/my_...irport-lounge/
msp3 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 3:34 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ORD
Programs: status free since 2017
Posts: 2,014
It took a few months but I it's finally coming together... gonna fly out next week for the trip. The only missing piece is where to spend the night on OGG.

I am getting in at OGG at 9pm and planning to catch the ferry at day break (0645 hours). This leaves me with roughly 6-7hours to kill. Is there a cheap, cheap hotel either near the airport or near the harbor? Lahaina Inn at $150 is not quite cheap and it's not staffed 24x7 either (staff leaves around 5pm acc to reviews).

Any suggestions?
carsnoceans is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 3:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,286
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
It took a few months but I it's finally coming together... gonna fly out next week for the trip. The only missing piece is where to spend the night on OGG.

I am getting in at OGG at 9pm and planning to catch the ferry at day break (0645 hours). This leaves me with roughly 6-7hours to kill. Is there a cheap, cheap hotel either near the airport or near the harbor? Lahaina Inn at $150 is not quite cheap and it's not staffed 24x7 either (staff leaves around 5pm acc to reviews).

Any suggestions?
What do you consider "cheap, cheap?"
747FC is offline  
Old Jul 11, 17, 3:54 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ORD
Programs: status free since 2017
Posts: 2,014
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
What do you consider "cheap, cheap?"
$100? Not being picky. Anything either close to airport or the ferry would do. Having a hard time justifying $250 for few hours at airport marriott.
carsnoceans is offline  
Old Jul 12, 17, 2:30 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,286
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
$100? Not being picky. Anything either close to airport or the ferry would do. Having a hard time justifying $250 for few hours at airport marriott.
Google "Maui Airport Hotel". If you don't like what you see, try places in Kihei.
747FC is offline  
Old Jul 12, 17, 8:57 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ORD
Programs: status free since 2017
Posts: 2,014
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Google "Maui Airport Hotel". If you don't like what you see, try places in Kihei.
Tried that already.

Kihei is not an option. It's gotta be either airport or near lahaina harbor.
carsnoceans is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread