It Ain't Disneyland!

Old Jan 4, 17, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
It Ain't Disneyland!

I never cease to be amazed at the stupidity of people. They treat our volcano like a safe theme park.

If 2,000 degree lava nearby wasn't enough reason to be careful, ignoring warnings can be fatal!

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...-national-park

22 acres of newly formed lava unexpectedly (well it was not unexpected by the Rangers) broke off and crashed into the ocean.

"Around 7pm park rangers had to chase down five visitors who ignored official warnings and tried to get a closer look. Just 15 minutes after they returned to the designated safe zone, the cliff they were standing on crashed into the ocean. " As I said, 22 acres!

I personally was at that same viewing area a couple weeks ago and one guy (who had been smoking pot) jumped over the tape and headed towards the current flow. People hollered at him to no avail. He just wanted a closer look. A couple weeks later it might have been his last look.

The location where this photo was taken is now ocean.

Last edited by Lavarock7; Jan 4, 17 at 12:22 pm
Old Jan 4, 17, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Here is a video describing this collapse.

Old Jan 4, 17, 12:53 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Thanks for posting, Lavarock7. I was there a few months ago with one of the geologists, and as we crossed the rope line, I prayed that "Today is not The Day."

Definitely would not advise someone to cross the rope line just for tourism purposes!

Search this Thread