Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Critique my (first ever) Maui trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Might want to reconsider the Lahaina Grill. It's rated #1 and Fleetwood's is #13: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ui_Hawaii.html I really like Lahaina Grill and have not tried Fleetwood's. Also, check TA for some of your other questions. Their DB is massive.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 13, 2016 at 2:25 pm
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highops
We went to a luau on the Big Island. It's just not for me. I don't care for buffets and the entertainment was broadly South Pacific and not just Hawaiian. My wife really enjoyed it. My daughter was glad to have gone once so it really is a YMMV situation. I think Costco sells discounted tickets to some luaus. You might investigate that.
I figured luau's would be personal preference - not sure if the menu is too appealing to us. I will continue to research.

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
For your drive up Haleakala, be sure to get there early. There's a lot of tours that go up there, so it will actually be busier than you would expect for 6am.

And dress warm - it will be cold, and could easily be below freezing before the sun comes up.

I did have a rental car's brakes start to fail coming down from there on my last trip! And the replacement car had a slow leak on one wheel. That was with Enterprise.
Thanks for the tips - we'll be coming from Boston so we'll have some cold weather gear to wear. I plan on getting to the summit by 6am, so leave by 4:30AM which would be like 10:30 for us on the first day or so. Right now our car is from Hertz - but having brakes fail downhill, that had to be terrifying!

Originally Posted by philemer
Might want to reconsider the Lahaina Grill. It's rated #1 and Fleetwood's is #13: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ui_Hawaii.html I really like Lahaina Grill and have not tried Fleetwood's. Also, check TA for some of your other questions. Their DB is massive.
Thats a good point - I do cross check with TA and Yelp though getting trusted reviews is always best in my book. I'm somewhat skeptical of places that have nothing but perfect reviews. That said, I did hang on to the Lahaina Grill reservation.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:53 am

Stock up at Costco in Maui for supplues. They have discount discounts there for Luaus as well.

Usually http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ beats costco for car rentals.
I check every couple of weeks to see if there is a price drop until arrival.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cgyroof
Stock up at Costco in Maui for supplues. They have discount discounts there for Luaus as well.

Usually http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ beats costco for car rentals.
I check every couple of weeks to see if there is a price drop until arrival.
Thanks - hadn't heard of that site before.

Is there any recommended car size for making the drive up Haleakala? I currently have a standard sedan, but would not be adverse to a smaller car if its up to the challenge. I wasn't planning SUV or anything; I think the mountain is our most rigorous journey.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by xyion1
Thanks - hadn't heard of that site before.

Is there any recommended car size for making the drive up Haleakala? I currently have a standard sedan, but would not be adverse to a smaller car if its up to the challenge. I wasn't planning SUV or anything; I think the mountain is our most rigorous journey.
I have done it several times in a Grand Caravan minivan. Obviously the smaller the car the better it does on the plethora of switchbacks. White knuckle drive for the most part.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maui Time
I have done it several times in a Grand Caravan minivan. Obviously the smaller the car the better it does on the plethora of switchbacks. White knuckle drive for the most part.
"White knuckle drive" is not my favorite phrase for a vacation activity.

I'd imagine its a bit better of a drive during the day (as opposed to pre-dawn) - my plan is to head out around 3:45a to get there by 6, a full 45 minutes before sunrise.

Is that too late?

Are there open restrooms on the top of the mountain at that time? I believe the visitor center opens at 8 or so.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:45 pm

Since you have 90,000 UR points I'd probably use them for either a couple of nights at the Maui Andaz or Hyatt Regency versus staying at the airport hotel. Even though you won't be there much it's really nice to come back to a hotel where you can really relax, walk on the beach or just sit by the pool.

You could also use the UR points to book a car rental. If you want to pay cash check out UR for car rentals anyway. We will be in Maui in February and UR had the cheapest rates.

The Sheraton does have a timeshare rate of $798 for 5 nights and includes $175 off of your car rental as well. You'd need to get an invite.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:34 pm

Aloha, and let me start by saying you'll love the best Island in Hawaii! My wife and I visited here on our honeymoon, 5th anniversary, 6th, 7th, 8th, and then moved here this past year...so we've done a LOT of what Maui has to offer so I'll suggest some insights. First I'll go over you day-by-day, then other stuff that I would change if it was up to me :-)

Thursday
The Courtyard is low cost and cheaper, plus after the flight you'll be busting for a shower! (We flew from the east coast each time too)
Da Kitchen is a great choice in Kahului (or even their express location in Kihei). You won't regret it. Tin Roof Maui is another excellent choice, you can't go wrong there either.

Friday
We haven't done the Temptation tour, but if you're younger, I highly suggest you rent a Jeep Wrangler and do the trek yourself AND doing the backside. This will be better in several ways....you can stop where you want to stop, trek where you want to trek, and see stuff that's "off" the tour like the red sand beach (which the path to has been upgraded in the last year or so...no nearly as bad as it used to be) and then possibly take the backside. The backside is a different look than the usual path to Hana, but really does have some breathtaking views. Be cheaper too....just I don't reccomend the backside without a four wheel drive, especially if it's rained recently. If it's been dry, an ol car will make it...usually. And leave a bit early and go by T. Komoda Bakery in Makawao on the way to stock up on some Donut-on-a-Stick.......seriously they're awesome.

Saturday
It's beautiful, and I suggest going by the winery too if it's opened by the time you're back down there since you're on that side of the island.
Monkeypod is delicious, you won't regret it if you go that route.

Sunday
This one I suggest you change, not because your choice is bad, but there is a better option. We have done Pride of Maui 3 times, but only because it lets me Scuba while my wife can snorkel. What I don’t like is you’re on that boat with 100 other people. I highly suggest you take Trilogy instead. We’ve been out with them 8 times so far and never had a bad experience. It’s smaller groups, on a boat that’s more fun, etc. Book them, I’ve never heard of someone not loving their time with Trilogy. (No, I don’t work for them, haha). In November you’ll probably even see whales.

Monday
Nick’s Fishmarket is good delicious, but pricey. Paia Fishmarket is better and cheap. Honestly it’s different, if you want more romantic sit down, then it is NOT Paia Fishmarket, haha. ;-). They have a location in Kihei and a new one just opened in Lahaina.

Tuesday
Go to secret beach to take some pics, I’m not a big fan of either Maluaka Beach or Big Beach….when we go south we go to Wailea beach every time….they have about the best sand on Maui IMO…so freaking powdery and soft. But our favorite beach on all of Maui is Napili Bay…….nothing compares.

Wednesday
IMO, beg your hotel for a late checkout, and go to Paia shopping…lots of little stores there to shop, then plan on dinner after they close. OGG isn’t that big so you don’t really have to be there more than an hour or so early.

On to your questions and other suggestions
Cheapest Rental? Not sure there as I’m Hertz Plus gold and always use them so I just walk up to my car and drive off.
We usually do it in a convertible with the top down and the heat blasting by the time we get to the top. You don’t need a Jeep here really for anything other than the backside possibly. But we have done it all in my wife’s MINI or my Focus.

Rent a car unless you think you’re ok staying at the resort. I always rented a car anyhow, ends up being just a cheap than paying transport to the airport, etc.

Lodging choice is fine, but I have some suggestions for you to look at.
I much prefer the West Side of Maui to the South Side….that’s all EXCEPT with The Grand Wailea (which even though I’m employed by another hotel here, I still say it’s the best on the Island). My wife and I still stay in at the Grand Wailea every now and then just to use their pool!!! So awesome.
Personally, I prefer to stay in Napili or Kapalua due to you can walk to Napili Bay (what I believe to be the BEST beach on the island…never too busy, easy to get in/out, lots of reef, and you see turtles all the time. I’ve also seen rays here in the winter). Ka’anapali is beautiful too, less crowded than Big Beach but still huge plus, Black Rock. Plus Kapalua Bay is right next door, much more reef and a bit harder to get in cleanly, but you WILL see turtles here, I guarantee it. You also have Merriman’s right there (their Mai Tai’s are my favorite on Maui). The Sea House Restaurant at Napili Kai is awesome too…and of course the winner of the #1 Breakfast on the island over and over again, The Gazebo Maui is there on Napili Bay too. Plus you’re much closer to Lahaina which has the best restaurants in Maui IMO…Longhi’s, Kimo’s,

My favorite place to stay on that side, cost wise, are the Kapalua Bay Villas….spacious, large, and not overly priced……BUT, they book up fast.
Ok, this is getting to be a LONG reply………I just LOVE Maui, hence why we moved here. Feel free to shoot me a message if you want more info on anything or have any other questions. I’ll also try to keep an eye here. But for all the people I’ve convinced to come to Maui to vacay, the top 5 things they’ve all said they couldn’t image ever going, or coming back, without doing.

1. Breakfast at The Gazebo
2. Dinner at Momma’s Fish House
3. If you Luau, do The Feast at Lele….no buffet here, great show and atmosphere. I’ve been to 6 different Luau’s here, and only ever repeated TFAL and TOLU.
4. Trilogy snorkel sail, or their day trip to Lanai especially.
5. Road to Hana
6. Ok, yes there are 6, but walk through Lahaina and take in the beauty of mountains on one side, the ocean on the other....and remember, it "never" rains in Lahaina.

Ok, that’s all for now. Mahalo for reading this far. Also, you’re coming at the best time of the year to visit Hawaii, still get to see whales without the whale season prices!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ladyjaneMN
Since you have 90,000 UR points I'd probably use them for either a couple of nights at the Maui Andaz or Hyatt Regency versus staying at the airport hotel. Even though you won't be there much it's really nice to come back to a hotel where you can really relax, walk on the beach or just sit by the pool.

You could also use the UR points to book a car rental. If you want to pay cash check out UR for car rentals anyway. We will be in Maui in February and UR had the cheapest rates.

The Sheraton does have a timeshare rate of $798 for 5 nights and includes $175 off of your car rental as well. You'd need to get an invite.
Staying at the airport hotel for 2 nights is more for convenience - we'll be beat (well, I will anyway) after the flight and since we're going to the crater & Hana the next couple of days also saves 40 or so minutes of driving in the morning.

Thanks for the tip re: UR portal for car rentals - enjoy your trip!

Originally Posted by LiquidHonesty
Aloha, and let me start by saying you'll love the best Island in Hawaii! My wife and I visited here on our honeymoon, 5th anniversary, 6th, 7th, 8th, and then moved here this past year...so we've done a LOT of what Maui has to offer so I'll suggest some insights. First I'll go over you day-by-day, then other stuff that I would change if it was up to me :-)

Thursday
The Courtyard is low cost and cheaper, plus after the flight you'll be busting for a shower! (We flew from the east coast each time too)
Da Kitchen is a great choice in Kahului (or even their express location in Kihei). You won't regret it. Tin Roof Maui is another excellent choice, you can't go wrong there either.

Friday
We haven't done the Temptation tour, but if you're younger, I highly suggest you rent a Jeep Wrangler and do the trek yourself AND doing the backside. This will be better in several ways....you can stop where you want to stop, trek where you want to trek, and see stuff that's "off" the tour like the red sand beach (which the path to has been upgraded in the last year or so...no nearly as bad as it used to be) and then possibly take the backside. The backside is a different look than the usual path to Hana, but really does have some breathtaking views. Be cheaper too....just I don't reccomend the backside without a four wheel drive, especially if it's rained recently. If it's been dry, an ol car will make it...usually. And leave a bit early and go by T. Komoda Bakery in Makawao on the way to stock up on some Donut-on-a-Stick.......seriously they're awesome.

Saturday
It's beautiful, and I suggest going by the winery too if it's opened by the time you're back down there since you're on that side of the island.
Monkeypod is delicious, you won't regret it if you go that route.

Sunday
This one I suggest you change, not because your choice is bad, but there is a better option. We have done Pride of Maui 3 times, but only because it lets me Scuba while my wife can snorkel. What I don’t like is you’re on that boat with 100 other people. I highly suggest you take Trilogy instead. We’ve been out with them 8 times so far and never had a bad experience. It’s smaller groups, on a boat that’s more fun, etc. Book them, I’ve never heard of someone not loving their time with Trilogy. (No, I don’t work for them, haha). In November you’ll probably even see whales.

Monday
Nick’s Fishmarket is good delicious, but pricey. Paia Fishmarket is better and cheap. Honestly it’s different, if you want more romantic sit down, then it is NOT Paia Fishmarket, haha. ;-). They have a location in Kihei and a new one just opened in Lahaina.

Tuesday
Go to secret beach to take some pics, I’m not a big fan of either Maluaka Beach or Big Beach….when we go south we go to Wailea beach every time….they have about the best sand on Maui IMO…so freaking powdery and soft. But our favorite beach on all of Maui is Napili Bay…….nothing compares.

Wednesday
IMO, beg your hotel for a late checkout, and go to Paia shopping…lots of little stores there to shop, then plan on dinner after they close. OGG isn’t that big so you don’t really have to be there more than an hour or so early.

On to your questions and other suggestions
Cheapest Rental? Not sure there as I’m Hertz Plus gold and always use them so I just walk up to my car and drive off.
We usually do it in a convertible with the top down and the heat blasting by the time we get to the top. You don’t need a Jeep here really for anything other than the backside possibly. But we have done it all in my wife’s MINI or my Focus.

Rent a car unless you think you’re ok staying at the resort. I always rented a car anyhow, ends up being just a cheap than paying transport to the airport, etc.

Lodging choice is fine, but I have some suggestions for you to look at.
I much prefer the West Side of Maui to the South Side….that’s all EXCEPT with The Grand Wailea (which even though I’m employed by another hotel here, I still say it’s the best on the Island). My wife and I still stay in at the Grand Wailea every now and then just to use their pool!!! So awesome.
Personally, I prefer to stay in Napili or Kapalua due to you can walk to Napili Bay (what I believe to be the BEST beach on the island…never too busy, easy to get in/out, lots of reef, and you see turtles all the time. I’ve also seen rays here in the winter). Ka’anapali is beautiful too, less crowded than Big Beach but still huge plus, Black Rock. Plus Kapalua Bay is right next door, much more reef and a bit harder to get in cleanly, but you WILL see turtles here, I guarantee it. You also have Merriman’s right there (their Mai Tai’s are my favorite on Maui). The Sea House Restaurant at Napili Kai is awesome too…and of course the winner of the #1 Breakfast on the island over and over again, The Gazebo Maui is there on Napili Bay too. Plus you’re much closer to Lahaina which has the best restaurants in Maui IMO…Longhi’s, Kimo’s,

My favorite place to stay on that side, cost wise, are the Kapalua Bay Villas….spacious, large, and not overly priced……BUT, they book up fast.
Ok, this is getting to be a LONG reply………I just LOVE Maui, hence why we moved here. Feel free to shoot me a message if you want more info on anything or have any other questions. I’ll also try to keep an eye here. But for all the people I’ve convinced to come to Maui to vacay, the top 5 things they’ve all said they couldn’t image ever going, or coming back, without doing.

1. Breakfast at The Gazebo
2. Dinner at Momma’s Fish House
3. If you Luau, do The Feast at Lele….no buffet here, great show and atmosphere. I’ve been to 6 different Luau’s here, and only ever repeated TFAL and TOLU.
4. Trilogy snorkel sail, or their day trip to Lanai especially.
5. Road to Hana
6. Ok, yes there are 6, but walk through Lahaina and take in the beauty of mountains on one side, the ocean on the other....and remember, it "never" rains in Lahaina.

Ok, that’s all for now. Mahalo for reading this far. Also, you’re coming at the best time of the year to visit Hawaii, still get to see whales without the whale season prices!
Wow - thank you for such a detailed post!

I will talk to my wife about moving to the Grand or moving up to the West side - she's keen on the Marriott.

Will definitely look into Trinity vs POM as well as the luau suggestion.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 23, 2016 at 4:56 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Thanks to one and all

DH and I are having "the discussion" about our next trip (vacation just doesn't seem to describe it, since we're out and about at least twice a year), and he is set on Hawaii. After reading lots and lots about the islands, I believe that Maui might suit us best, since we're not very social and prefer quiet solitude.

So with all that said, I just want to thank everyone for the wonderful information contained in this particular thread. I have already learned quite a few things that I might not have gotten from TA. And I have some research to do.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:36 pm

Just a suggestion...yes Costco is awesome, but the quantities are so large.
Since it's just the 2 of you for 6 nights, maybe you should consider target or Kmart for your supplies.

We used to stay in kapalua always then we found the wailea area and absolutely love it, shorter distance to the airport, beach is so much calmer also.

Have a great time!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by LiquidHonesty
OGG isn’t that big so you don’t really have to be there more than an hour or so early.
Enjoyed reading your list of favorites! Could you please explain why Alaska Airlines recommends arriving 2 1/2 hours in advance? Is this related to the agricultural inspection? Our flight is on a Monday at noon, and we'll need to return our car to Hertz, if that makes any difference.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:10 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by SPort
Enjoyed reading your list of favorites! Could you please explain why Alaska Airlines recommends arriving 2 1/2 hours in advance? Is this related to the agricultural inspection? Our flight is on a Monday at noon, and we'll need to return our car to Hertz, if that makes any difference.
Is this to fly out or in? There isn't any AG flying in if you're coming to the US, just when you leave Maui. But honestly, it only takes like 10 minutes tops, the ag checkpoints are curbside and you send you luggage through the machine and then check in, rather fast and easy.

Otherwise I think they're just trying to play it safe. On our last Alaska flight from Oakland to OGG, which was when we moved here, we showed up 58 minutes before the flight was set to leave (don't ask), with 4 people and 6 pets and lots of luggage. We all made it just fine.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:28 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Skip Haleakala crater. I'm sure it is a fine view but what a hassle.

Skip a snorkel tour (especially if either of you gets seasick -- you never know what the weather is going to be like ahead of time, and you can just snorkel yourself whenever you like. Try Black Rock for good easy beginner stuff).

Skip Hana Highway -- wayyy too long if you're not then going to spend a few days in Hana.

Mama's is great. Also try Paia Fish Market for a great lunch. Also the Maui Tacos is yummy. Over in north Lahaina, there's a place called Mala right on the water -- great spot for a sundowner drink and a snack before dinner somewhere (or eat there). Also good for a sunset drink is the back patio at the Royal Lahaina resort.

I do recommend a Luau if this is a first Hawaii experience. They are not cheap. The Old Lahaina Luau is the gold standard, and you must book in advance if you want to: A. Get in and B. have a good seat (there are some BAD seats -- you want to be in front, not off to the sides). Food not great. Experience super kitchy fun.

Leave plenty of days to do NOTHING. It's your best bet on Maui

EDIT: Oh, and book a convertible or Jeep. You will be kicking yourself for not being able to see the scenery while driving, and if it's not raining Maui is amazing no matter where you are.

Last edited by IBobi; Oct 13, 2016 at 5:35 pm
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by IBobi
Skip Haleakala crater. I'm sure it is a fine view but what a hassle.

EDIT: Oh, and book a convertible or Jeep. You will be kicking yourself for not being able to see the scenery while driving, and if it's not raining Maui is amazing no matter where you are.
Actually, getting a convertible and going up Haleakala makes for a very memorable Maui experience. Just don't do it in the dark and do apply sunscreen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.