Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Planning Hawaii Trip - Need to optimize on hotel savings

Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

We are a family of 4 and need to optimize on hotel savings for travel sometime in 2017. The trip will be 9 days long (one week, two book-ended weekends) and we would like to go to two islands, so 4 days per island.

Requirements:
- EITHER 2 rooms or 1 two-bedroom suite

Flexible on:
- Time of year
- Locations

Have the following:
- I don't want to use points for hotel, but I do have a Citi Prestige card (4th night free), CSP, and Chase Ink.

So this is the ultimate hotel savings optimization game! We are totally flexible on what time of year we are going to Hawaii. We will be using United award points to fly. But otherwise, we are flexible on locations, AND flexible on time of year.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:34 pm

Not sure what your preferences/budget are and if you have specific time constraints, but we're planning a similar trip. Our plan is to do 4 nights on Kuai using the Prestige 4th night free somewhere (haven't picked where), and then 4 nights on the Big Island so the kids can see the lava flows. For the Big Island we're planning on using the 4th night free benefit in combination with the 3rd night free promotion the Fairmont Orchid has there occassionally, to pay for 2 nights and get 2 free. I know there are similar promotions at the Trump in Honolulu in Oahu, but I haven't looked enough into other locations yet.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Not sure what your preferences/budget are and if you have specific time constraints, but we're planning a similar trip. Our plan is to do 4 nights on Kuai using the Prestige 4th night free somewhere (haven't picked where), and then 4 nights on the Big Island so the kids can see the lava flows. For the Big Island we're planning on using the 4th night free benefit in combination with the 3rd night free promotion the Fairmont Orchid has there occassionally, to pay for 2 nights and get 2 free. I know there are similar promotions at the Trump in Honolulu in Oahu, but I haven't looked enough into other locations yet.
This is really good information and will also be looking for similar deals to get 3rd night and 4th night free. I haven't started looking at which Hawaii hotels offer 3rd night free deals.

Is there a list somewhere of which hotels anywhere in Hawaii have 3rd night free?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by nsc168
This is really good information and will also be looking for similar deals to get 3rd night and 4th night free. I haven't started looking at which Hawaii hotels offer 3rd night free deals.

Is there a list somewhere of which hotels anywhere in Hawaii have 3rd night free?
I've looked around and haven't been able to find a consolidated list anywhere. I've found that its typically the upscale hotels (i.e. Trump, Ritz, Four Seasons, etc.) that offer 3rd night free promotions instead of directly discounting their rates.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
If you're willing to sit through an hour of time share, you can try SPG's deal in Kauai's Princeville or Maui's Westin. And consider renting points from Disney Vacation Club's owners. DVC's Aulani in Oahu has suites with kitchen and family friendly.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1P / *A Gold, SPG Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Amtrak S+
Originally Posted by adamak
If you're willing to sit through an hour of time share, you can try SPG's deal in Kauai's Princeville or Maui's Westin. And consider renting points from Disney Vacation Club's owners. DVC's Aulani in Oahu has suites with kitchen and family friendly.
Asked on the SPG forum with no dice, but figure I give this a shot too...do you know of any one who is giving out the referrals for the timeshares?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Novagal
Asked on the SPG forum with no dice, but figure I give this a shot too...do you know of any one who is giving out the referrals for the timeshares?
Yeah, I'd like to know that, too. I need one for Westin Kaanapali.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I think there is a thread here or SPG forum that you can ask for referral? I also think you can just give them a call or sign up on the SPG vacation club / timeshare website and they'll send you something in the mail.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:09 am

Big Island and Kauai would be my choice as well. Big Island being the best value with Kauai a little more spendy. Have you considered using VRBO or Airbnb to find a rental? Relative to hotel rooms you can find a much better value going with a rental.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: HH Silver
Check into Costcotravel.com also. I saved over $1000 on my hotel for 5 nights on the BI when I figured in the $300 resort credit, room upgrade, and breakfast for 2 at the Marriott. I have not found anything that beat their price, even free nights with a CC.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:51 am

Pocket Friendly Hotesl

There are several options, you can look for a big luxury resorts to wallet-friendly hostels. There are plenty of options but I prefer to stay in family friendly hotels like Grand Wailea, Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa or Sheraton. You can also refer to some travel guide website like http://hawaiian.com where you can possibly find all information about pocket friendly trip to Hawaii. Or you can book complete trip through aloha-hawaiian.com they will organize everything for you.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
The Fairmont in Wailea is all-suite. And there is a Residence Inn at Wailea that just opened. Looks quite nice. I've booked the Residence Inn w/ 2 double beds and a separate living room with sofa bed for our family of 5 for 3 nights next July. For our week stay, I booked a 2-bedroom timeshare through Redweek at the Westin Villas Resort on Kaanapali.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.