FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   How to spend 10 hours in/around Lihue airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1779483-how-spend-10-hours-around-lihue-airport.html)

shonamac Jul 19, 2016 11:29 pm

How to spend 10 hours in/around Lihue airport

On a forthcoming mileage run, I will be arriving in LIH around noon and then leaving around 10 PM to fly all the way to Dublin, without a hotel bed enroute :eek:

I booked the flight many months ago and in a fit of thrift did not book a hotel in LIH to get some rest. Of course, now I realize the folly of having booked such an itinerary.

Does someone have any suggestions as to what I could do with the 10 hours in Lihue to get some rest? Preferably without spending a lot of money? I will not be having a rental car at LIH.

Just as an FYI, I will be flying coach into LIH and then on AA/First-Business LIH-PHX-CLT-DUB, all without any overnight stop.

747FC Jul 20, 2016 2:29 am

Not sure what you would define as "inexpensive," but you can check out the Aqua Kauai Beach Resort and also the Kauai Marriott.

The Tip Top Motel is another option, but I've never stayed there.

davesam12 Jul 20, 2016 7:35 am

Searching there are several lower end, less expensive motel/hotels in the town of Lihue, minutes from the airport if you just want to sleep. As mentioned the lovely Kauai Marriott is 5 minutes from LIH. There you could use their huge pool and amenities. Their standard non view rooms aren't overly expensive. You could ask about a day rate, but it's a popular resort so that might be hard to come by.

onthego15 Jul 20, 2016 8:12 am

I've stayed at the Garden Island Inn a couple times. It's nice, and about a five minute drive from the airport. It is also across the street from a beach.
http://www.gardenislandinn.com/

linsj Jul 20, 2016 4:57 pm

The Marriott doesn't fit the OP's "without spending a lot of money" statement. Even in off season it's $200 + resort fee. And, depending on the time of year, you probably can't check in that early. It does have a free airport shuttle, as does the Aqua Beach Resort, which also has a good pool area.

WRCSolberg Aug 7, 2016 3:07 pm

I would definitely find something to do. LIH is a small airport and there isn't much to do or see besides the one cafe they have, and that would get old pretty quickly.

transportprof Aug 7, 2016 6:29 pm

Take the Marriott shuttle over to the hotel complex and have lunch at one of their beachfront/poolside restaurants. Then buy a bamboo mat from one of the cheap souvenir stores at the adjacent cluster of shops on the west end of Kalapaki Beach. Then take a nap on the beach, as long as you have an alarm to wake up in time for....

happy hour at Duke's, and then get the Marriott shuttle back to LIH in the evening.

Big4Flyer Aug 8, 2016 10:44 am

If you want to do something that's both restful and interesting. I'd suggesting taking a taxi to a local beach, building a hut and bed from palm fronds, and then sleeping in it until its time to return to the airport!

shonamac Aug 8, 2016 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 27030167)
Take the Marriott shuttle over to the hotel complex and have lunch at one of their beachfront/poolside restaurants. Then buy a bamboo mat from one of the cheap souvenir stores at the adjacent cluster of shops on the west end of Kalapaki Beach. Then take a nap on the beach, as long as you have an alarm to wake up in time for....

happy hour at Duke's, and then get the Marriott shuttle back to LIH in the evening.

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea! As a matter of fact, I am a Marriott Gold member - I wonder whether they will give me free Wi-Fi access or perhaps allow me to use their pool even if I am not a registered guest. If that is asking for too much, I will just have to carry a stash of magazines to read (at the restaurant of course) and discard;)

BTW, is it better to have lunch at the Marriott Resort or at the Marriott Beach Club?

Dieuwer Aug 8, 2016 8:59 pm

The Marriott offers day rooms. Just contact them directly.

linsj Aug 9, 2016 9:12 am

Originally Posted by bfernand (Post 27035703)
BTW, is it better to have lunch at the Marriott Resort or at the Marriott Beach Club?

They're on the same property. I highly recommend Duke's, especially if you like fish. I always eat downstairs and order the fresh fish; whatever it is and however it's prepared, it's delicious. In two weeks on the island, I go to Duke's for the fish at least three times.

transportprof Aug 9, 2016 11:34 am

Originally Posted by linsj (Post 27038144)
They're on the same property. I highly recommend Duke's, especially if you like fish. I always eat downstairs and order the fresh fish; whatever it is and however it's prepared, it's delicious. In two weeks on the island, I go to Duke's for the fish at least three times.

I agree that Duke's will be better than any of the Marriott branded restaurants around the pool. I was suggesting going for an early supper there when happy hour starts, and doing the poolside restaurant at lunch more for the location than the food.

Merlin666 Sep 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer (Post 27033127)
If you want to do something that's both restful and interesting. I'd suggesting taking a taxi to a local beach, building a hut and bed from palm fronds, and then sleeping in it until its time to return to the airport!

Exactly, lots of beaches nearby, just bring a swimsuit and a towel and relax/nap until sunset. Then go for a nice Hawaiian supper.

codesinvan Sep 23, 2016 5:02 pm

I totally agree with the advice to take the shuttle to the Marriott and hits Duke's for happy hour. That is our low cost dinner destination - the beach is gorgeous, the atmosphere is great, and the happy hour specials are easy on the pocketbook.