Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Maui/OGG - What's best way to stay at Wailea and fly F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Hi all
We want to stay at Wailea in Maui and fly SFO/OGG via HA F in April 2017. What's best way to do that for lower price range than if we booked with HA website and Wailea website? I don't have enough points but do have about 400,000 UA miles. I don't want to fly ual though.

Car rental is bonus, but we would use Costco travel for the car.

Suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks!
Michael
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd reconsider flying UA. They have the only nonstops from sfo to ogg and you can use your miles to fly first. Will it be as nice as HA F class? No, but it's not bad and I'd rather be spending my time in Wailea than wasting 2-3 hours changing planes in HNL. The difference between HA and UA in first isn't substantial enough to avoid the nonstop in my mind.

You'll definitely want a rental car and Wailea is a great place to relax and have a holiday. You can also use some of your UA points to book hotels in Wailea and your rental car. Enjoy!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'd reconsider flying UA. They have the only nonstops from sfo to ogg and you can use your miles to fly first. Will it be as nice as HA F class? No, but it's not bad and I'd rather be spending my time in Wailea than wasting 2-3 hours changing planes in HNL. The difference between HA and UA in first isn't substantial enough to avoid the nonstop in my mind.

You'll definitely want a rental car and Wailea is a great place to relax and have a holiday. You can also use some of your UA points to book hotels in Wailea and your rental car. Enjoy!
BTW United does not have the only nonstops between SFO and OGG. HA actually offers a seasonal nonstop (no clue whether it'll be available in April 2017), and Virgin operates it year round. Don't forget AS from OAK.

At the end of the day, it's domestic first class and a relatively short flight.

As far as hotels are concerned, there are a lot of great ones but they all differ based on what you're looking for. You need to provide us more info. Kid-friendly? More adult oriented? Beach or pool preference?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:35 am
K&C

Programs: BAEC Gold
Can't help with flights as I'm UK based but we rented a condo at Elua village last week and couldn't fault it.
With 2 teenagers the extra space and the possibility to stock the fridge was invaluable.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: QF
If you can't get F award ticket on the exact dates you want there are also flights to OGG ex SJC & OAK on HA & AS which may help.

We generally stay at Ka'anapali Beach so can't help with recommendations at Wailea although most properties are quite costly but Kihei is very close and has some very nice options. It's kind of like driving out of Anaheim into Beverly Hills.

Have often ended up in OGG at the end of an AA status run eg AUA/xMIA/DFW/OGG with an overnight at DFW the night prior as it's a good half way point.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Thanks!
I'm so clueless and thought the hotel was called Wailea. I should have said Grand Wailea!
Anyway we ended up just booking on our own and paying with cash. HA F with extra 5% on affiliate promo and regular retail for Grand Wailea.
I'm also active now on GW thread in Hilton thread. So I'll get more info there.
I do know that I don't go to Maui with the goal of saving money. Tee hee
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:01 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by gaobest
Thanks!
I'm so clueless and thought the hotel was called Wailea. I should have said Grand Wailea!
Anyway we ended up just booking on our own and paying with cash. HA F with extra 5% on affiliate promo and regular retail for Grand Wailea.
I'm also active now on GW thread in Hilton thread. So I'll get more info there.
I do know that I don't go to Maui with the goal of saving money. Tee hee
Stayed there in 1993 when it was still pretty new. It was AMAZING! That was my last trip to Hawaii. Will be heading to Oahu, Hawaii in February. Greatly looking forward to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.