Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Area to Maui (OGG) - how best to get there

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

NYC Area to Maui (OGG) - how best to get there

I realize there are no direct flight from the NYC/NJ area to OGG.

Is it better to book a one stop flight w/ change of planes in LAX or take a direct flight to HNL, and then book another flight from HNL to OGG?

Also, since this is a long flight, is one carrier better than other in terms of comfort and seating? Looking to travel economy and maybe econ plus, if not too expensive. Will likely be going last two weeks of July.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Do you prefer a very long flight and a short hop, or two medium length flights?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NYC-SFO break SFO-OGG.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Do you prefer a very long flight and a short hop, or two medium length flights?

Not sure to be honest.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:23 am

my feeling is that its usually best to take the longest flight that will get you closest to your destination first. As long as that flight leaves you'll at least be in beautiful hawaii, even if your second flight got canceled or delayed.

If you make it to lax or sfo for a layover you never know if the second flight could be canceled or delayed before landing.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by babern38
my feeling is that its usually best to take the longest flight that will get you closest to your destination first. As long as that flight leaves you'll at least be in beautiful hawaii, even if your second flight got canceled or delayed.

If you make it to lax or sfo for a layover you never know if the second flight could be canceled or delayed before landing.
That's what I usually try to do if possible. Once in HNL in particular, there are certainly a good number of alternative flight options to hop over to OGG if the original is disrupted.

As far as which carrier, none of the offerings out there will exactly blow your socks off...standard economy or economy plus mostly. Hawaiian has a slightly more pleasant experience in my opinion. But of course it depends on the cost of flight options, too and balancing things out.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
If economy plus I would go NYC-HNL. In economy I would stop on the west coast. I am 6'2". I flew EWR-HNL on CO in Business, which was basically international business class at the time.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
FWIW, connecting AA-AA or UA-UA in California should be a lot less trouble than connecting in HNL from a Mainland arrival to an inter-island departure.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:18 pm

If you are not flying 1st class you might want to try the previously mentioned Hawaiian Air. They give free meals and for couples there is 2 seating. Of course the transfer is in HNL inside security.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM
Virgin America connecting in SFO would be my choice if flying in economy. Far better than average seat pitch, great IFE selection, plus the chance to break up the flight halfway through.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
NYC-SFO break SFO-OGG.
Check out the ontime performance stats of the flights you desire. Some UA SFO-Hawaii flights have terrible records.

The decision is basically one determined by your alliance, your budget, and your schedule.

I try to do the nonstop EWR-HNL.

Whatever you do, buy a ticket that will include all of the travel on one PNR, thus avoiding the problem of having to personally transfer your luggage between carriers.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by third_wave
Virgin America connecting in SFO would be my choice if flying in economy. Far better than average seat pitch, great IFE selection, plus the chance to break up the flight halfway through.
Great for a party of 3, but for a party of 2 it has the dreaded 3/3 seating.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I would do the non-stop either from JFK or EWR and connect to OGG in HNL.

I've done the EWR-west coast stop - OGG a few times and it always seems to take longer than flying directly to HNL and making the connection to any of the other islands.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I would do the non-stop either from JFK or EWR and connect to OGG in HNL.

I've done the EWR-west coast stop - OGG a few times and it always seems to take longer than flying directly to HNL and making the connection to any of the other islands.
Totally agree. If you can swing first, the UA non-stop is quite comfortable with lie flats.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:05 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
My own personal preference is, like others, to make as long a non-stop leg on the Mainland to Hawaii leg as possible. I find the 5-6 hour legs flying East Coast to West Coast and then West Coast to Hawaii too short to get any decent amount of rest/sleep. If the EWR-HNL flight isn't do-able, I will look for other options like connecting through IAD, ORD, ATL, and MSP but I won't go further West into the Mountain or Pacific time zones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.