Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Where would you recommend I stay in Hawaii?

Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

As soon as I find the right offer I'm going to dabble on one of these [British Airways Tier Point Run to Hawaii]. Planning for the school hols and intend to have a week in Hawaii and a couple of days in Vegas on the way back.

I think I'm savvy enough to know the best route for TP's. Dub Lhr JFK Phx hnl lax las Phx JFK Lhr dub.

But where would you recommend I stay in Hawaii?

I love big OTT hotels. I don't mind driving. One kid is desperate to play with a volcano and the other loves body boarding. We all love a trip to Denny's for breakfast and general USA style roadside dining.

We all like s good beach but top notch hotel pools are also a must. Hotels must have adjoining rooms or a family suite with separate kids bedrooms.

Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 1, 2016 at 5:19 pm Reason: changed title to something more appropriate for this forum, corrected spelling of "Hawaii"
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
There is a lot more to Hawaii than just HNL.
There is a lot more to FlyerTalk than just the BAEC forum. I suggest you look/post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I do forget there are other parts to this huge website.

But it's kinda relevant here, especially if I need to island hop as this will then be part of my baec earning. At least I hope it would be.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HiltonHonours: Gold
get out of Honolulu in my opinion. we loved Hawaii though, made a video of our trip on www.youtube.com/zulutravel if it helps on things.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Dub Lhr JFK Phx hnl lax las Phx JFK Lhr dub.
This routing wouldn't fall under the I class sale or advanced purchase fares since you are only allowed two connections in Europe and two in the US. Your return routing has four connections in the US. There is a lot of information on optimal routing in post 2 of the tier point run thread.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Sounds like a fantastic trip, and earning TPs on a holiday rather than the other way round is definitely how I would do it!

I would recommend Maui. There is loads to see plus there are arguably the state’s best beaches and some great hotels. We stayed at the Four Seasons for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. There’s an adult pol, too with a swim up bar if you want to leave the kids to it for a bit. The Grand Wailea next door had more exciting kids’ pools, but I reckon the FS is a better hotel.

Maui has some amazing natural beauty (drive the road to Hana – would be a great day out for everyone), the dormant volcano (Haleakala) and great snorkelling (Molokini). The active volcano is on the Big Island, so you might want to consider that. Very much enjoyed my time there, too but we both loved Maui more. There is a Denny’s in Waikiki, but not sure about elsewhere.

PM me if you want and I can give you more specific suggestions.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:19 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by kingcole974
But it's kinda relevant here, especially if I need to island hop as this will then be part of my baec earning. At least I hope it would be.
Unless you plan to island hop via the US mainland, there is no BAEC earning options.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
This routing wouldn't fall under the I class sale or advanced purchase fares since you are only allowed two connections in Europe and two in the US. Your return routing has four connections in the US. There is a lot of information on optimal routing in post 2 of the tier point run thread.
Guess I could easily overcome this by missing out the LAX and LAS stops and just buying a return from PHX to LAS.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Guess I could easily overcome this by missing out the LAX and LAS stops and just buying a return from PHX to LAS.
Doing an open jaw returning from PHX would not be recommended. As I said, have a read of the post I noted and hopefully it will become a bit clearer to you.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I would recommend Maui. There is loads to see plus there are arguably the states best beaches and some great hotels. We stayed at the Four Seasons for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. Theres an adult pol, too with a swim up bar if you want to leave the kids to it for a bit. The Grand Wailea next door had more exciting kids pools, but I reckon the FS is a better hotel.
One thing to say about Maui, is that it is expensive for hotels. Expect to pay 160 quid a night minimum if you want to do the west/south west set of hotels and resorts.

Maui has some amazing natural beauty (drive the road to Hana would be a great day out for everyone), the dormant volcano (Haleakala) and great snorkelling (Molokini). The active volcano is on the Big Island, so you might want to consider that. Very much enjoyed my time there, too but we both loved Maui more. There is a Dennys in Waikiki, but not sure about elsewhere.
I do wonder why Denny's is a thing to visit. It's just a US chain restaurant.... I'd visit it on the Vegas strip. That is, I would, I'd actually be in pretty much any other restaurant around the area...

Did second Hawaii run a couple of weeks ago, doing Maui and Big island this time. Waikiki last time.

If you want US city, then Honolulu is good. The Hilton Wakiki beach was good, and not that bad a price. Also the restaurant there featured on a Man vs food once. Got Pearl Harbour and Diamondhead. Hiring a car and going to north shore is a thing to do, we didn't hire a car then.

Maui was good, but expensive. We stayed in the Best Western Lahaina, pretty much the only hotel in that town. Otherwise you're out in the resorts, and have to drive to get something to eat... Never went to the south part. Road to Hana was good. Claims are you can see Whales from the land, but we didn't. Turtles are supposed to be regularly seen on some beaches, but we didn't go looking. Car is needed.

Hawaii, the big island, well we did Volcano Village, and the national park. Going to see the Volcano as a day trip, with a flight from the another island is barely possible, and you'll need to rent a car. We stayed in Kailua on west coast for five days, and that was nice. After we got there, we didn't really need the car much more. The accomodation is cheaper in Hawaii than Maui. I think Honolulu is the lowest of the three though.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Where is Hawai and do BA fly there direct? I already thought they flew to Newcastle
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
In Waikiki I recommend the Royal Hawaiian. Grove/Garden View rooms are worth paying a little extra for compared to city view as they are quieter, and more tropical view, i.e. not onto street driveway.
Denny's is 5mins walk from Royal Hawaiian, my daughter is a fan also : )

The Moana Surfrider is nice also, especially the Banyan ocean view rooms (avoid Diamond Wing, renovated but still paper thin walls and old aircon etc.), though over 4 trips to HNL I found there are always some little issues here and there when staying at the Moana while the Royal Hawaiian is always hassle free.

Even closer to said Denny's are the Halekulani (beachfront also) and Trump which are also highly rated, though I never stayed there. You can take a taxi to Diamond Head Crater car park (20mins) and hike up to the top from there in about 60mins. You have great views from there but don't go in flip flops and bring plenty water. One the way back to Waikiki stop at Happy Valley Italian on Monserrat Ave, which has great pizza: http://happyvalleypastaandpizza.com

If you want active volcanoes, you need to go to the Big island....

HNL-PHX is not the most pleasant overnight flight if you can avoid it, the new 321 on LAX-HNL-LAX is nicer.

Last edited by above the clouds; Sep 18, 2016 at 8:38 am
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by Smid
One thing to say about Maui, is that it is expensive for hotels. Expect to pay 160 quid a night minimum if you want to do the west/south west set of hotels and resorts.
Definitely and I would say that these days, prices are much nearer the 300+ point. Would love to do that trip again, but definitely cost prohibitive in the next few years. However, VRBO may make it much more affordable.

Originally Posted by Smid
I do wonder why Denny's is a thing to visit. It's just a US chain restaurant....
Totally agree. I'd never heard of it, but my (American) wife pointed it out as we walked past.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As a 2x HNL traveller, I'm glad to see this not being described as a TP Run

As to HNL itself ... depends on what you want. Yes, we went twice but that suited us: YMMV. It's quite a hard journey, whichever routing you choose, but that just might be my advanced years

TR in link in my signature, which also links to the more informative perevious one.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think the best hotel in Honolulu is the Kahala (used to be a MO). But I suggest you get the hell out of dodge since there are far nicer places to Hawaii than Honolulu (in fact, pretty much everything is nicer).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.