Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Best Flight Path to Honolulu from BRU

Old Feb 15, 16, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Hi Fellows,

Long time lurker there. I'm planning a trip in October 2016.

I have multiple choice and I can't really decide what would be the best.

I'd like to see what would be the best route from BRU to HNL. I'm planning to go Business if it's not too crazy and want if possible to fly a A380.

I thought about going BRU / FRA / LAX then HNL. ( That way I take advantage of a long intercontinental flight and can try to use my miles and more points).

Otherwise BRU / LHR / SFO or LAX then HNL. ( Via BA )

But on the other hand I tough. Why not BRU / NRT ( to take into account the direct flight from ANA / Service is always great with a Japanese Airline ) then HNL.

What do you think ?

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
Jérôme
Old Feb 15, 16, 10:17 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
If you have the option, fly via FRA on the way to HNL and via NRT on the way back.

FRA vs LHR is easy, as the taxes are much lower at FRA than LHR.

In general, most people find flying in the East-->West direction better in terms of jetlag due to the natural diurnal clock being more in synchronicity with this flight path.

Welcome to Flytertalk!
Old Feb 15, 16, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
FRA vs LHR is easy, as the taxes are much lower at FRA than LHR.
The British Air Passenger Duty is not assessed on international to international connecting passengers.
Old Feb 15, 16, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Ordinarily, I would recommend flying through Asia. Unfortunately the business class options to Hawaii kind of suck. ANA is going to be most convenient since you can fly straight from BRU to NRT, but their NRT-HNL flight is on a 767 which has the worst business class seat offered between Asia and Hawaii (a cramped, non-flat seat -- you'll find lots of complaints on the NH forum). Their partner UA also flies the NRT-HNL route with a fully flat seat that's super narrow and possibly not much better. JAL will be a better ride in business class, but then you have to go to LHR, CDG, etc. Same applies if you fly through Korea.

I think the most "seamless" flights would be either United through Washington or Delta through Atlanta. I believe that in business class, you would get a flat bed the whole way on either airline.
Old Feb 16, 16, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the info ! I'll investigate a bit more ! As I have some miles to redeem I will try to get with LH into premium economy then book awards to business.

Are those the 767 you are refering ? http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...767_400_ER.php
Old Mar 13, 16, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
It really depends on how much it costs (does it matter to you?), do you want to stop somewhere along the way, do you mind how many connections, do you have to stay within an alliance?
You now mention buying Prem Eco and then upgrading which also limits your options.

The quickest and all lay flat option is United. Brussels to Newark and then non stop to HNL. It is far from the best business product out there but the seat is comfortable, the food acceptable and the service..... well that is always hit or miss.
Old Mar 14, 16, 12:41 pm

Programs: no status
If on the return trip he goes HNL-NRT on UA it's not a very long leg compared to LAX-HNL, or other segments, and the connect to LH in NRT.
Old Mar 17, 16, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Merlin666 View Post
If on the return trip he goes HNL-NRT on UA it's not a very long leg compared to LAX-HNL, or other segments, and the connect to LH in NRT.
I'm not sure what you mean. You make it sound like HNL-NRT is short when compared to HNL-LAX. HNL-NRT is nearly 1300 miles further than HNL-LAX. And the overall distance to fly HNL-NRT-FRA-BRU is 1200 miles more than BRU-EWR-HNL.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=bru-ewr...+hnl-lax&DU=mi

It's not completely unreasonable to fly Hawaii-Europe via Asia instead of via North America, but it's still longer to go that way.
Old Mar 17, 16, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717 View Post
It's not completely unreasonable to fly Hawaii-Europe via Asia instead of via North America, but it's still longer to go that way.
Technically, it may be longer. However, it is possible to get a better connection through Asia. Added to a shorter connection time, E->W travel can make for better time zone adaptation.
Old Mar 29, 16, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
E->W travel can make for better time zone adaptation.
Whether or not true, HNL is virtually the opposite side of world from BRU, with a 12 hour time difference. Not sure it matters which way you're flying, especially with shades drawn.
Old Mar 29, 16, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Not sure it matters which way you're flying, especially with shades drawn.
It does matter, if only because Asia flights arrive at HNL in the morning, while mainland US flights arrive at HNL in the afternoon or evening. The latter is much better for fighting jet lag, in my opinion, plus you don't have to worry about early check-in at your hotel.
Old Mar 29, 16, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Whether or not true, HNL is virtually the opposite side of world from BRU, with a 12 hour time difference. Not sure it matters which way you're flying, especially with shades drawn.
My own experience flying these changes supports that it does matter, but you might want to Google Scholar the subject, and you will see that the direction of travel is known to affect adaptation.

Search this Thread