FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Hong Kong to Hawaii - shortest flight suggestions pls (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1742040-hong-kong-hawaii-shortest-flight-suggestions-pls.html)

cbdgal Jan 26, 2016 7:58 pm

Hong Kong to Hawaii - shortest flight suggestions pls

HI there

My family & I are going to Hawaii for a friend's wedding & would like to know the shortest route to fly from the USA?

We live in Hong Kong but tossing up whether we fly from HKG to the US and connect from the US to HNL.

Has anyone done this? Our option thus far is to fly from HKG to Shanghai & then to HNL (or HKG to other Asian country) and then HNL but flights & time is a pain, especially with 2 little ones in tow.

Any recommendations would be very appreciated.

Thanks

moondog Jan 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by cbdgal (Post 26086983)
HI there

My family & I are going to Hawaii for a friend's wedding & would like to know the shortest route to fly from the USA?

We live in Hong Kong but tossing up whether we fly from HKG to the US and connect from the US to HNL.

Has anyone done this? Our option thus far is to fly from HKG to Shanghai & then to HNL (or HKG to other Asian country) and then HNL but flights & time is a pain, especially with 2 little ones in tow.

Any recommendations would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Tokyo

-I'd rule out PEK and SHA because of unpredictable schedules
-Going via LAX/SFO/SEA/YVR is even worse (guaranteed to waste lots of time)

slippahs Jan 26, 2016 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by cbdgal (Post 26086983)

HKG-GUM-HNL and HKG-ICN-HNL are other routings you should consider that may have faster total travel times, but be careful that you're not picking a layover that might be too tight.

maortega15 Jan 26, 2016 10:49 pm

The best way would be in my opinion is Narita. Take Cathay from HKG to NRT, then from NRT to HNL on JAL. JAL has the most flights to HNL and Cathay code shares from NRT to HNL.

moondog Jan 26, 2016 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 26087527)
The best way would be in my opinion is Narita. Take Cathay from HKG to NRT, then from NRT to HNL on JAL. JAL has the most flights to HNL and Cathay code shares from NRT to HNL.

JL all the way typically costs ~30% less than CX-->JL IME.

maortega15 Jan 27, 2016 3:32 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 26087609)
JL all the way typically costs ~30% less than CX-->JL IME.

You can do that too but CX has more flights to NRT from HKG that way she has a choice of time to get into NRT.

But yeah, JL to HNL would be most ideal. :)

nishimark Jan 27, 2016 6:02 am

Do a Google search for "Hong Kong to Honolulu" and you'll see a table showing a variety of airline/city combinations. Might help you to see what's available. Do you have a frequent flyer preference?

reverted Jan 30, 2016 5:48 pm

Flew HKG-HNL this summer. Unfortunately, I don't think that there are direct flights. I transited through ICN on Asiana. From HKG, I think your best bet (as others have said) would be to go through NRT or ICN. It's the 'closest' and most direct way to HNL if my geography serves me right. Our total travel time including the quick layover was about 13/14 hours. There are flight plans (that if all goes right) you can do it in ~12.5 hours and those go through NRT usually.

Flying to the continental US then to Hawaii is also possible, but with youngins, the backtracking and extra long flight doesn't seem like something you want to experience.

Me and my mom did HKG-ICN-HNL this past summer on Asiana Business via UA miles. You can read about my experience HERE and HERE if you want.

747FC Jan 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by nishimark (Post 26088551)
Do a Google search for "Hong Kong to Honolulu" and you'll see a table showing a variety of airline/city combinations. Might help you to see what's available. Do you have a frequent flyer preference?

OP: Google.com/flights is your friend:

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...2016-02-19;s=1

keisari Jan 31, 2016 3:27 pm

and just as an FYI, HNL is US. I think many in HNL would rather not see it like this but as of today, HNL is in the US.
when we talk about non-Hawaii state US it is either referred to as Alaska (if it is the state of Alaska), any other name if it is a territory such as Puerto Rico, Guam, etc... or otherwise the other states are called "the lower 48" or the "contiguous 48". Continental US is the "lower 48" + Alaska.
Not trying to be obnoxious.

msp3 Feb 4, 2016 2:32 am

Why not give CI a try? HKG -> TPE -> HNL, but only works twice a week.