Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Earning (Hyatt and/or Westin) Points for a trip to Hawaii?

Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I am looking to go to Kauai for my 10 year anniversary in May 2018. I want to make this trip totally free or as close to free as I can. I already have enough United Miles for our flights. I would like to spend 3-5 days at both the Grand Hyatt Kauai and The Westin Princeville. What do you think is the best way to earn those points? I believe they are both category 6 properties and around 25,000 points per night. I would need at least 8 nights. I know with the Hyatt visa you get 2 free nights at any category. What programs or cards should I sign up for and when? I don't want any rewards to expire and I don't want to pay excessive annual fees for the next 2 years.

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:37 am

Not MR related. Reported to moderators.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:25 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by kara3803
Hi,

I am looking to go to Kauai for my 10 year anniversary in May 2018. I want to make this trip totally free or as close to free as I can. I already have enough United Miles for our flights. I would like to spend 3-5 days at both the Grand Hyatt Kauai and The Westin Princeville. What do you think is the best way to earn those points? I believe they are both category 6 properties and around 25,000 points per night. I would need at least 8 nights. I know with the Hyatt visa you get 2 free nights at any category. What programs or cards should I sign up for and when? I don't want any rewards to expire and I don't want to pay excessive annual fees for the next 2 years.

Thanks!
Well for the Grand Hyatt, I would suggest that both of you individually apply for the credit card since that will get you 4 nights. Do not apply for the card before April 2017 though since the free nights are only good for one year after you earn them (meet the current spend requirement of $1,000).

I don't really know what advice to give you for the Westin.

I'll move this thread over to Hawaii forum since you'll get exposure for the Westin also.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by peteropny
Well for the Grand Hyatt, I would suggest that both of you individually apply for the credit card since that will get you 4 nights. Do not apply for the card before April 2017 though since the free nights are only good for one year after you earn them (meet the current spend requirement of $1,000).

I don't really know what advice to give you for the Westin.
Do this (above) for the Hyatt.

For Princeville, both of you should consider applying for the AMEX SPG card. Card is free 1st year. Plus, you can easily combine points by transferring at no cost.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...eferred-guest/

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

If you can find a 5k referral bonus, one sign up and refer the other.
Also, consider the Princeville St. Regis in addition to the Westin.
Both are SPG.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Another option (or addition) is the Chase Sapphire, which earns 50,000 bonus points if you spend $4000 during the first three months. The $95 annual fee is waived the first year. I believe you get an additional 5,000 points if you have an authorized user who makes a purchase during that time. That will give you (at least) 59,000 points (including points for the $4,000 spend). The points can be transferred to Hyatt or United at a 1:1 ratio.

Obviously, spending $4000 or $1000 (for the Hyatt card) isn't "free," but you'll be spending a lot to get to "free."

Edited to add: In response to Peter, the Chase Sapphire points can also be transferred 1:1 to Marriott. Aren't they buying SPG (Westin)? Those points might be able to be transferred at some point. If so, I'd advise the op to stay at the St. Regis instead of the Westin.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Jan 14, 2016 at 11:52 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.