Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Cancun to Hawaii Cheapest Flights With Points Available???

Old Jan 10, 16, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi All -

I had a quick question regarding Cancun to Hawaii. I am going to be in Cancun for 5 days later this year and then planning on going to Hawaii immediately after for 6 days. I am hoping to make this as cheap as possible as the hotel costs are going to be substantial throughout these 11 days.

I have the following:
40,000 British Airways points
230,000 Southwest Points
50,000 AMEX points

I was thinking about taking Southwest from Cancun to LA and then doing British airways from there to Hawaii. I was curious if anyone had a better idea. Thanks so much!
Old Jan 10, 16, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If available, you could do CUN-PHX-Hawaii on AA for 22,500 BA Avios.
Old Jan 11, 16, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can prioritize now, but you can't know who will have availability (except in the sense that Southwest virtually always has availability at some amount of points, but the number of points are impossible to forecast) at the time you're ready to book. So you need backup plans in case preference #1 has no availability. This would include looking into whether you will later be able to cancel award reservation with choice #2 if choice #1 develops availability later on.

Somewhat similarly to Southwest, Delta is likely to have availability at some number of miles (they had 5 redemption tiers the last time they had an award chart, but the stopped publishing an award chart about a year ago), but you can't know until you are ready to book how many miles that will be. (I mention Delta because you can transfer Amex Membership Rewards points to Delta.)

BA is all or nothing on the other hand. If its partners (AA or Alaska) have "saver" availability, BA should show availability. If on any leg its partners have no "saver" availability (only "standard" availability in AA's case), BA cannot book that.

And while guv1976 gave you the BA "cost" for a sample directing routing, the cost would go up if there were more connections involved, because BA prices awards a flight number at a time. (And sometimes AA may only have "saver" availability with weird connections.) For example, CUN-DFW-LAX-Hawaii would cost more Avios points than CUN-PHX-Hawaii.

Meanwhile, have you considered using points for hotel costs? On some trips, buying the ticket and using points for hotel costs can save you more than using points/miles for the airline ticket and paying cash for the hotels. Though unfortunately you don't yet seem to have the right points currency for much in hotel costs (only Amex MR can transfer to [a few] hotel programs, not BA or Southwest, and it's usually not the best conversion rate, though it varies from hotel program to hotel program).
Old Jan 11, 16, 4:11 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
What is your timeframe for the trip?
Old Jan 17, 16, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. And timeframe is February 22nd 2017. So have plenty of time to plan and I do understand that it is hard to give me a specific route or advice not knowing what the availability will be at that time. I was more looking for, similar to @guv1976 said, just examples of something I should look into. Does Southwest fly to Hawaii (I didn't think they did). I was thinking, since I only have 40k avios and I don't have the credit card anymore, that simply getting to Los Angeles or around there through southwest would be the best option and then booking southern california to hawaii.
Old Jan 17, 16, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
SQ (you could transfer) from AMEX is 35k RT or 17.5k OW for both US mainland to Hawaii and also "Central America" (which appears to include Mexico) to Hawaii.

That will be your best bet with what you have since it will allow you to eliminate the need to book two separate awards since routing from Mexico costs the same. They charge fuel surcharges but if your routing is on United there are no fuel surcharges (just taxes / homeland security fees). You could route CUN - SFO - Hawaii or CUN - IAH - Hawaii or whatever is available.

You can search for space on United website and SQ should have access to anything that is listed as saver availability for Y (anything listed as 22.5k on UA) or F (anything listed as 40k on UA).

Once you find space you just need to call it in.

SQ award chart is here: https://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/pps..._RoundTrip.pdf
Old Feb 3, 16, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
SQ (you could transfer) from AMEX is 35k RT or 17.5k OW for both US mainland to Hawaii and also "Central America" (which appears to include Mexico) to Hawaii.

That will be your best bet with what you have since it will allow you to eliminate the need to book two separate awards since routing from Mexico costs the same. They charge fuel surcharges but if your routing is on United there are no fuel surcharges (just taxes / homeland security fees). You could route CUN - SFO - Hawaii or CUN - IAH - Hawaii or whatever is available.

You can search for space on United website and SQ should have access to anything that is listed as saver availability for Y (anything listed as 22.5k on UA) or F (anything listed as 40k on UA).

Once you find space you just need to call it in.

SQ award chart is here: https://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/pps..._RoundTrip.pdf

Duke - I am not too familiar with this program. So I do have the 35k Amex points from SPG. Do you think I would be better offer transferring those to a Hawaii hotel or transferring them to this program you are speaking of for flights? Have never dealt with the singapore airlines.
Old Feb 3, 16, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Matt Newman View Post
So I do have the 35k Amex points from SPG.
This makes no sense. Do you have Amex points or SPG points?
Old Feb 3, 16, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"So I do have the 35k Amex points from SPG."

SPG points are not Amex points (even thought you might have earned them with an Amex starwood credit card). "Amex points" usually refers to Amex Membership Rewards points, which are earned with other types of Amex cards.

It's possible that Singapore is indeed a transfer partner for both SPG points and Amex MR points, but you'd have to check that.
Old Feb 3, 16, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Sorry all. Yes, I meant SPG points. I did get them confused -- haven't used them forever!
Old Feb 3, 16, 10:43 pm

Duke - I am not too familiar with this program. So I do have the 35k Amex points from SPG. Do you think I would be better offer transferring those to a Hawaii hotel or transferring them to this program you are speaking of for flights? Have never dealt with the singapore airlines.
Sorry all. Yes, I meant SPG points. I did get them confused -- haven't used them forever!
No worries! SPG also transfers to SQ 1:1 so the strategy I laid out still works.

In terms of what would be better between hotel or flights that is up to you. Obviously since it would be coming from the SPG account it's a definite trade-off as others have mentioned potential strategies to get to Hawaii without touching those SPG points.

If you don't have any other hotel options, I would probably hold onto the SPG and see what you could get in Hawaii with SPG and follow the advice of others (mainly SW to LAX and BA to HNL). However, if your hotel plans are fine without needing the SPG, transferring to SQ will give you the best value for Y to Hawaii.

Keep in mind that SPG transfers with a 5k point bonus for every 20k transferred. So 20k SPG will transfer to 25k SQ.
Old May 5, 16, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys -- just wanted to ask one more question on this thread. I think we figured out how to use the points for hotels in Hawaii and going to use our points for that. We are going to pay cash for the flights. Do you all have any recommendations (outside of expedia and all that) on the most cost-efficient route from Cancun to either Maui island or Big Island Hawaii.

Thx!!
Old May 6, 16, 12:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Do you all have any recommendations (outside of expedia and all that) on the most cost-efficient route from Cancun to either Maui island or Big Island Hawaii.
A one-way CUN-OGG is about $400 for February 2017 on DL, UA or AA with one connection in LAX, SFO, or DFW respectively. I don't know if you want a multi-leg trip CUN-Hawaii-Continental USA; that could be cheaper than two one-way.

Either way, I recommend getting familiar with Google Flights to experiment with your options. You have plenty of time to shop, and see what works best for you.

I don't know if there are mainland flights to Kona or Hilo. Besides Hawaiian, another option for HNL or OGG - Big Island may be Mokulele Airlines. Google them.
Old May 6, 16, 1:16 pm

Google.com/flights is your best friend.

Play around with that and don't discount the possibility of F. I'm seeing some F fares that are pretty cheap (only ~$75-100 more than Y) and if you are going to need to check bags and have interest in E+/MCE/C+ seats the F ticket will cost the same as all of those things and will give you a better seat and a meal (and drinks if that matters)
Old Jun 8, 16, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Hey all -- I have finalized my hotel bookings and just wanted to circle back with you all as you've been extremely helpful and informative but still have an outstanding question that I'm having a hard time with.

So the hotels are booked. I have 100,000 Chase Points and 45,000 SPG points at this point. We did googleflights and it's going to be $400 one way for both of us so that's a total of $1600 for 2 round trips (going from cancun to Hawaii and then hawaii back to st louis). We do wish to avoid this $1600. But I am looking to convert the SPG or Ultimate rewards as long as it is a decent utilization of the points. Is SQ airlines the best way to go to get from cancun to Hawaii or do you think it makes more sense to do southwest from cancun to LAX, stay there for a night (we really don't want to) and then get a british airways from there to Hawaii... which availability for BA to Hawaii on February 21 seems to be very poor. Or is there another possible way? And do you have any recommendations on getting from Hawaii to STL without using googleflights and paying out of pocket? Really appreciate your help in time with all this.

Search this Thread