Community
Wiki Posts
Search

golf, spa and sports bar on an island?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

golf, spa and sports bar on an island?

Mrs kbd and I are visiting Hawaii Apr 2016, we'll be there 6 or 7 nights, without the kids. We'll stay a couple of nights at Waikiki, and are now looking at alternatives for the other nights on one of the other islands.

Our needs are hopefully simple; I'd like to play some golf, Mrs kbd wants to be pampered or wander the shops, and in the evenings we're quite happy to lean on a bar and chat to whoever sits nearby as we eat and drink. Being on / near a beach for snorkeling would be good, and if I can find any excuse to go on a boat ride one day I'll do that. We're not made of money, but we're no longer backpacking either. The flexibility of renting a house / condo and self-catering would certainly work.

So. Which island? Any accommodation options / locales people might recommend based on the blurb above? Any other help or advice appreciated ...

kbd
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
It would be much easier if you gave an idea of what your max room rate/night in USD would be....
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I would suggest Kauai, and skip Oahu altogether for such a short stay. You'll lose most of a day changing islands.

That said, for what you're looking to do, I would suggest the Grand Hyatt Kauai. The golf course has stunning views, the spa is large and has varied treatments, and the pools are great.

However it's not inexpensive and if you're looking to go during spring break time in the US, it's going to be even more expensive.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by Mary2e
...for such a short stay. You'll lose most of a day changing islands.
I agree, for a six night stay, limit it to one island. Trying to fit in more than one island, you will find yourself wishing you were back on the beach instead of packing, returning rental cars and waiting in security lines. Start by finding availability of direct flights in and out of the same island, and go from there. All islands have what you are looking for, including Oahu.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:37 am

I frequent the islands frequently, and have done a wk in Hawaii on two different islands. I don't think spliting time btw two islands is that big of a deal (but I've been there about two dozen times).

Consider Maui, particularly Kaanapali hotel row...it has what you're looking for (golf, snorkeling, boating within a couple minutes). Kapalua or Wailea are both great options as well.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I would suggest Kauai, and skip Oahu altogether for such a short stay. You'll lose most of a day changing islands.

That said, for what you're looking to do, I would suggest the Grand Hyatt Kauai. The golf course has stunning views, the spa is large and has varied treatments, and the pools are great.

However it's not inexpensive and if you're looking to go during spring break time in the US, it's going to be even more expensive.
I agree with Mary. There is also another golf club within a couple of miles of the Hyatt - Kiahuna. And right down the street, within a mile, is a sports bar, Kalapaki Joe's, which pretty much shows every sports event. Another bar, with entertainment in the evenings, is Keoki's and they also have good food. Also, plenty of shops at Kukuiula Village and Poipu Shopping Village (where Keoki's is located).

I also recommend Capt. Andy's for the boat ride.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Big Island

Tried all the islands in the last 40 years and settled on Big Island. Just fits me, a lot less touristy the most other places. Funny the majority of people come over and stay at the big resorts. I meet people that never want to leave their beach chair. More power to them.

My suggestion is Kailua town. Beach (small), about 40 watering holes. The bars are a great mixture of locals and tourists, make for a great feeling.

All sorts of water adventures (been on most of them numerious times with guests). King Kam has a very upscale spa.

A couple of locals type golf courses (Pete Dye designed) that even as a "guest" you can get on for about $60.

Enough, I love it here.

Last edited by hawkxp; Nov 24, 2015 at 11:28 pm Reason: add golf
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Separately, we're scheduled to arrive HNL at quarter past midnight, so one option presumably available to us would be to hang around at the airport for a few hours and catch an early flight directly to whichever island we choose. This would mean one less check-in/out of accommodation.

And though I get it that YMMV, does anyone have any thoughts on why that might be a good idea, or not, and why?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Separately, we're scheduled to arrive HNL at quarter past midnight, so one option presumably available to us would be to hang around at the airport for a few hours and catch an early flight directly to whichever island we choose. This would mean one less check-in/out of accommodation.

And though I get it that YMMV, does anyone have any thoughts on why that might be a good idea, or not, and why?
Here's a review of HNL at the Sleeping in Airports site.
http://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/honolulu.htm
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The gates suggested are enclosed and are probably a bit quieter. They are also pretty close to the TSA checkpoint.

If I had to sleep in an airport, I would select those gates, as mentioned in the link.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta
Another thought. Based on your user name, I'm guessing that you might be coming from NZ. You could catch a cab to an all-night open restaurant (ex. Denny's on Waikiki) and hang out there, since nothing is open at the airport in the middle of the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.