The Modern Honolulu

Old Nov 17, 15, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

The Modern Honolulu

Anyone stayed there before? Thoughts about this hotel...my only concern is its location.

I hit the islands almost annually (for pleasure) and have stayed at all the above par hotels in Waikiki (Trump, Halekulani, Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian, etc).
Old Nov 17, 15, 6:01 pm

I agree with your concern. Don't like the location!
Old Nov 17, 15, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Meh. So it's not directly on the Waikiki Strip. It's near to Ala Moana Ctr (& connections), the Kapiolani Strip, and the park/beach at Ala Moana Park. And it's not really that far from the rest of Waikiki. If you get a good deal, it's a svelte-enough place.
Old Nov 18, 15, 8:23 am

Programs: AA, WN, DL, Hilton, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Anyone stayed there before? Thoughts about this hotel...my only concern is its location.

I hit the islands almost annually (for pleasure) and have stayed at all the above par hotels in Waikiki (Trump, Halekulani, Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian, etc).
We've just had cocktails/happy hour there. Much fun. Their lounge "The Study" can get lively in the evening. Seems to be a lovely hotel. We walked from the Royal Hawaiian, and taking a short cut (at least we feel it's a short cut ) through the Sheraton Waikiki, down Kalia, through Fort Derussy Park, and HHV grounds - it was about a 15-20 min walk. Less than a mile. Just on the boarder line for us between " cab it or walk" .
Old Nov 19, 15, 3:24 pm

I stayed there several years ago when it was the Waikiki Edition and just months before the owners basically kicked Marriott out of the picture.

Rooms were clean and modern in decor, I enjoyed the pool area with views of the harbor, and the location is fine though not ideal.

We were there for July 4th weekend and they had this odd pool party where they had two lifeguard type chairs brought in for the day and had two models sit in the chairs all afternoon with pool staff bringing them drinks from time to time.
Old Nov 20, 15, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all...so no compelling reason to stay there.

Back to Halekulani it is.
Old Jul 31, 16, 9:44 am
formerly meunger11

Programs: AA Plat, 1WS, CX Silver, HH Gold, Caesars Diamond
Thanks for this post! We are staying at The Modern in a few weeks! Looking forward to it.
Old Apr 4, 18, 12:41 am

Programs: SK Gold
For a longer stay in November I am trying to decide between the Modern Honolulu, the Prince Waikiki or the Ilikai. Can anyone think of reasons why one hotel would be preferable to the others disregarding price difference?
Old Apr 4, 18, 1:14 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by Travel4Love View Post
For a longer stay in November I am trying to decide between the Modern Honolulu, the Prince Waikiki or the Ilikai. Can anyone think of reasons why one hotel would be preferable to the others disregarding price difference?
The Modern and the Ilikai are basically the same property. The Prince Waikiki is a higher-end facility. They are very close to each other, so location is not a factor.
Old Apr 4, 18, 1:57 am

Programs: SK Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
The Modern and the Ilikai are basically the same property. The Prince Waikiki is a higher-end facility. They are very close to each other, so location is not a factor.
Thank you @747FC. I am aware that higher-end doesn't necessarily mean better. In your opinion is the Prince Waikiki a better hotel than the other two, which you would choose, if the price were the same?
Old Apr 7, 18, 1:03 am

Programs: UA/Hyatt/Marriott/Movenpick/Hilton
Thank you @747FC. I am aware that higher-end doesn't necessarily mean better. In your opinion is the Prince Waikiki a better hotel than the other two, which you would choose, if the price were the same?
I've stayed at the Prince multiple times and loved the hotel when I was playing contractor in Asia/Pacific and would have no issues staying there when I get back out there while I was looking for a place to live.... which will hopefully be soon.
Old Apr 7, 18, 2:29 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
I haven’t stayed at either property, but have worked with some of their staff. Based upon my interactions and experience, If I were recommending one of these to a friend, I would name the Prince. No problem with either one.

Search this Thread