Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Suites

Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC

I am wondering if any of my fellow FT'ers have stayed in either the Hualalai Suite or a Beachfront Deluxe Suite at this hotel. The rates are the same. From what I can tell, the beachfront suite is larger and offers direct access to the ocean, but the Hualalai suite is on the top floor of the main building (so is more convenient to most resort amenities) and has spectacular panoramic views.

Any and all educated opinions are welcome!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
View Plane

One consideration is that the top floor of the hotel may have a much better view than the lower floors.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:07 pm

The beachfront wing was added on to the original hotel. The Beachfront Deluxe Suites are at the farthest end of that wing, so it will be a bit of a walk to anything other than the beach (although nothing is more than a 10 minute walk at the hotel). The beachfront wing rooms look directly at the ocean across a strip of grass and there are a number of trees that may impact your view. There is a Beachfront Deluxe Suite on each floor of the wing so you may end up with a ground floor room that looks at the lawn and beach or a fourth floor room with a slightly better view of the beach. If you are in a room that is not on the ground floor it won't save you any time getting to the beach (as compared to the time it takes to get from the Hualalai Suite to the beach).

The view from the Hualalai Suite is without parallel. The views of the entire beach and coastline beyond are stunning. When staying on the same floor as that suite we leave the doors open at night just to listen to the waves crashing. The Hualalai Suite is close to elevators and the stairways (four flights) to the lobby. It's a two minute walk to the elevator that goes down to the pool and beach. One additional bonus is the amazing bathroom that has its own terrace so you can draw a bath while staring out at the ocean.

I would say the Hualalai Suite wins hands down unless you have a particular reason for wanting to be able to walk from your room on to the beach.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:05 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

You definitely want to be on the 8th floor of the original building. The views are spectacular. Mauna Kea is my favorite hotel in Hawaii. Recently returned from a one week stay on the 8th floor. Although, not a suite, the Deluxe room was lovely and the view is better than any in Hawaii. I have stayed in the Beachfront rooms and it really isn't that much more convenient to the beach. The main building is also more convenient to the Manta restaurant for breakfast and much more convenient to the shops.
You will love the main building suite. No contest.

Last edited by obscure2k; Oct 22, 2015 at 3:15 pm
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all. You have helped make up my mind, so today I booked the Hualalai Suite with a connecting ocean view room. I'm sure we'll love it--thanks again for the great advice!
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
This property is now an AC Hotel with Marriott, right?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by msp3
This property is now an AC Hotel with Marriott, right?
Yes, Mauna Kea is now an Autograph Collection Resort.
Note that it is still managed by Prince Hotels, not Marriott or Ritz.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

That's right, msp3, which is what originally brought it to my attention. It will actually be my first stay at any AC property, but the reviews are almost universally positive so I'm pretty excited. I'm not crazy about having to book two rooms (even the 2 presidential suites only sleep 3), and hope my family won't feel out of place. Give me a year, and I'll be posting a review here to help others in the same situation!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
On the Prince Hotel site, it still shows it as a Prince Hotel, and on their Japanese site you still earn Seibu Prince rewards. Wonder how this works with Marriott nowadays, but then again you don't earn Marriott points on AC Hotels and can only redeem, right?
Old Nov 7, 2015, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msp3
you don't earn Marriott points on AC Hotels and can only redeem, right?
Nope, earn too. And I'll be earning a bundle on these rooms!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.