Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Planning First Time Trip LAX - Hawaii

Old Oct 17, 15, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Hi All -

My wife and I want to take a fun 5 day trip to Hawaii. We live in LA. The only problems are:

1. We know nothing about where to go in Hawaii (which islands, which hotels are the nicest, activities etc)

2. She is 2 months pregnant with #2 so more 'active' things are generally off the radar

3. We have a two year old and would like to find the nicest plane that flies non-stop from LAX --> Hawaii (whichever island) -- but from my research none of the planes have particularly nice business / first class.

We are looking for a 'baby-moon' as she put it -- something fun, easy, romantic and beachy (more than jungle/volcano). Cost isn't really a huge issue -- we're just looking for the nicest thing to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 17, 15, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bornsubl View Post
but from my research none of the planes have particularly nice business / first class.
Yup. But it is a relatively short flight. "Suffer" through the indignity of domestic F for a few hours and then enjoy the time in the islands.

we're just looking for the nicest thing to do.
If your goal is to just sit on a beach there are plenty of options for such. I'd skip Oahu (HNL) for that and head elsewhere.
Old Oct 17, 15, 12:07 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
For the duration of the flight LAX-Hawaii, First isn't worth it IMHO, but others disagree. I haven't found a terribly meaningful difference between the coach offerings.

Ask 100 people which island is best you'll get a lot of different answers. Each has their own charms. I guess my favorite is Maui for a good variety of sights, activities, climates, and just....for whatever reason like it the most. The Big Island would be a very close second for similar reasons.

I've found the Wizard Pubs book series very helpful. Some of the info from the books is on their website but is worth checking out from the library or picking up cheap on ebay for reasearch.

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/

Just to be clear, you are taking the 2 year old with you?
Old Oct 17, 15, 12:16 pm

Cost isn't really a huge issue -- we're just looking for the nicest thing to do.
Many ideas here: http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/...ahu-maui-kauai
Old Oct 17, 15, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk bornsubl
Please continue to follow this discussion in the FT Hawaii Forum. A wealth of information there.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 17, 15, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
1. I guess it depends on what you want to do. Beaches and natural beauty is Maui or Kauai, IMO.

2. That doesn't seem like a big deal. There's plenty to do in Hawaii that doesn't involve strenuous physical activity. (I would avoid the big island for this reason, BTW). You're only there five days anyway.

3. For that short of a flight, first is a waste of money, but that's only my opinion. If I lived in the LA area, I'd probably fly Hawaiian out of LAX. I tend to like their service better than the legacies and I believe they serve Maui, Kauai and Honolulu all direct from LAX.
Old Oct 17, 15, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

hawaii sub-forum

Thanks this has been tremendously helpful. Does anyone have a link to the Hawaii sub-forum?
Old Oct 17, 15, 1:59 pm

Does anyone have a link to the Hawaii sub-forum?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/
Old Oct 17, 15, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg View Post
I'd probably fly Hawaiian out of LAX...I believe they serve Maui, Kauai and Honolulu all direct from LAX.
From LAX on Hawaiian: non-stops to Honolulu and Maui, plus seasonal non-stops to Kauai and the Big Island.
Old Oct 18, 15, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, SPG LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
The big question for the OP is whether you're bringing the 2YO with you.

If you are, I think THAT (more than your wife's mid-term pregnancy) will dictate your activities.

Flights: nobody flies flat-bed, but it's a bit shorter (due to no ATC issues) than the flight to LAX from EWR/JFK, so it's totally your call about the cost of F. Most people here say that if you can get E+/MCE/EC you'll be ok - and with the child, having a row of 3 means you can trade off on who sits next to the kid in the window seat. When we go, though, I prefer the F also - just because it's not Y with the Kettles.

Depending on your child's schedule, consider an evening flight to the islands - the kid may fall asleep quickly, and allow a bit more tranquility on the flight; for the return, take the early afternoon flight, not a redeye.

Island: Maui or Big Island. There's stuff for young kids on both of them - and the Volcano park should even work for a 2YO. (We took ours when they were 3 & 6.)

Look into arranging a babysitter from a service, so you get a couple of evenings free. Or, find a condo (or a hotel suite), since 2YOs are old enough to be a deterrent for certain vacation activities.
Old Oct 18, 15, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA, WN, DL, Hilton, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club
From LAX check out HA's service on their new A330's. Their First/Business and "Comfort" class (premium economy) are very comfy. They still serve complimentary meals in all three cabins. We flew them to LIH a few weeks ago for the first time in First and loved it. Felt like we started our Hawaii vacation the minute we boarded the plane.
Old Oct 18, 15, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, One Pass, SPG, Marriot Rewards,Sky Miles, AMEX Miles
Originally Posted by davesam12 View Post
From LAX check out HA's service on their new A330's. Their First/Business and "Comfort" class (premium economy) are very comfy. They still serve complimentary meals in all three cabins. We flew them to LIH a few weeks ago for the first time in First and loved it. Felt like we started our Hawaii vacation the minute we boarded the plane.

I agree. Having flow in FC to Hawaii on three different airlines I think HA is the best experience!😀
Old Oct 23, 15, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
My Opinion

Since I am single, you can take what I say with a grain of salt, however, I would find a babysitter on the mainland for the child.

I do not think that a young child will enjoy much of the trip and you will be juggling a number of issues, besides the obvious places not to take a child such as hiking, Volcanoes National Park, snorkeling, evening dinner boat rides and so on, you will spend extra time and effort that may limit your Hawaiian experience. Hawaii's bright sun can cause extra concern on a childs skin and we can have some very real issues with waves and swimming things.

When I was young, my parents traveled overseas a few times. I never felt I missed out on any trip even up to the age of 5 or 6.

I would enjoy your trip and do research here to determine when and where to take your children when they are a bit older.
Old Oct 23, 15, 1:55 pm

we have been to maui and big island with our 2 y/o and then again at 3 and pregnant. both islands were great-- plenty to do and not so busy. our trips were for rest so we were not looking for things to do per se. we planned the day accordingly around naps etc.. we went to beaches that did not have a big surf, volcano park on BI (they do advise about kids and the pregnant avoiding the volcanic gases that might be concentrated in areas), coffee farms, eating out and just hanging out, no stress. we flew economy comfort daytime- worked fine for us. we used vrbo for our accommodations- nice size condo with plenty of space and full kitchen to keep everyone satisfied. it's just easier with kids with a full kitchen and bath. don't over plan your time, we were there 4 weeks. we had a baby backpack and a stroller- we used both. we rented a car and had them supply the car seat.. which worked fine.

Last edited by tunu2; Oct 23, 15 at 2:03 pm

Search this Thread