FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Unable to Find Hotel Availability in Wailea in Feb 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1708166-unable-find-hotel-availability-wailea-feb-2016-a.html)

iceman77_7 Sep 7, 2015 12:02 am

Unable to Find Hotel Availability in Wailea in Feb 2016

looking to go to Maui the week of February 22, 2016 but both the Andaz and Four Seasons are already sold out that week! Some big event going on?

BOSOGG Sep 7, 2015 8:30 am

Originally Posted by iceman77_7 (Post 25386931)
looking to go to Maui the week of February 22, 2016 but both the Andaz and Four Seasons are already sold out that week! Some big event going on?

Andaz showing availability that week, but looks like they have a six night minimum.

iceman77_7 Sep 7, 2015 10:08 am

Originally Posted by BOSOGG (Post 25388173)
Andaz showing availability that week, but looks like they have a six night minimum.

Ah, was only looking at 5 nights and then when no availability, looked at 1 night increments. Is that a particularly peak time?

BOSOGG Sep 7, 2015 10:55 am

Originally Posted by iceman77_7 (Post 25388500)
Ah, was only looking at 5 nights and then when no availability, looked at 1 night increments. Is that a particularly peak time?

The Andaz rates available online are for "sixth night free", so you are actually only paying for five nights, but at those rates, it sure doesn't feel like a bargain.

Yes, you are going to find February, anywhere in Hawaii, pretty popular.

DJ_Iceman Sep 7, 2015 3:20 pm

There are several other excellent properties in Wailea--have you tried them as well?

iceman77_7 Sep 7, 2015 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 25389675)
There are several other excellent properties in Wailea--have you tried them as well?

I've looked briefly. The Andaz and FS caught my eye, was planning to stay at the Ritz in Kapalua or the Hyatt or Westin/Sheraton in Ka'anapali otherwise. Do you have any in particular you recommend?

travelinmanS Sep 8, 2015 2:15 am

It might be the SAP event that alternates between the big island's Kohala coast and Maui every other year. I've been unfortunate to get caught up in this thing twice. They basically commandeer all the hotels in the area for 5 nights to treat their global high performers to an all expense paid trip. I was at the Mauna Kea last Feb and had to shorten my stay by 2 days due to this event, they booked the entire hotel as well as the Hapuna, the Hilton, the Mauna Lani, the Fairmont and parts of the Marriott. I'm sure it's the same deal in Wailea when they run the event in Maui. I'd advise going to another part of Maui or another island unless you want to feel like an outsider at a corporate retreat.

FliesWay2Much Sep 8, 2015 6:32 am

Nobody's mentioned the Marriott. I'm staying there next week. There are also hotels by the airport -- ~25 minute drive to Wailea.

DJ_Iceman Sep 9, 2015 1:11 am

Originally Posted by iceman77_7 (Post 25389683)
I've looked briefly. The Andaz and FS caught my eye, was planning to stay at the Ritz in Kapalua or the Hyatt or Westin/Sheraton in Ka'anapali otherwise. Do you have any in particular you recommend?

Of course opinions vary, but I've spent quite a bit of time in Wailea so am happy to share mine. My go-to place is the Marriott, as I find it offers the best value. The staff is great, it's right next to the upscale Shops at Wailea, the adults-only infinity pool is a delight, and I always get great upgrades as a Marriott plat.

I also used to stay at the Andaz years ago when it was the Renaissance (and therefore part of the Marriott family). I wandered over during my last stay in June and found it stuffy, pretentious, poorly laid-out, and generally disappointing. It's trying SO hard to be hip and cool that it was almost painful to watch.

The other place I don't care for (but many of my friends do) is the Waldorf=Astoria Grand Wailea. It's always been a bit of a circus, but they've let the place get run-down over time so now it's not even the sparkling circus it once was. My Hilton buddies complain about their lack of upgrades or elite treatment in general, but keep going back because at least they can earn points. And at the inflated prices the place charges, they do earn a lot of points.

I do, however, like the Fairmont. It's an all-suite layout and offer Fairmont's typical high level of service and amenities. The location is relatively poor, being all the way at the end of the Wailea beachwalk, but otherwise it's a good, solid choice.

The Four Seasons gets mixed reviews. I do think they charge more than what their rooms are worth, and you have to pay for a decently upgraded room to get even a hint of ocean view. I also had a very disappointing meal at Spago in June, when my wife and I ate there for our 20th anniversary based on the Beverly Hills Spago being one of the best dining experiences of our lives. But you can't judge the hotel just based on that.

If you're willing to forsake points, there are all kinds of timeshares and condos for rent up and down Wailea beach that probably offer a much better value proposition. But since you're posting here you probably a points-chaser like the rest of us, so that may not be a viable option. Good luck finding a room when you want to go, and please report back on what you pick and how you like it!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Sheraton in Ka'anapali is a pretty poor place, but the Westin looks wonderful. The Ritz is fantastic, but more remote and some people here have complained about cloudy days and rain up on that corner of the island. I only stayed up there once, and it was just as perfect as my many stays in Wailea so I can't vouch for the weather!

Lavarock7 Sep 9, 2015 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 25391553)
It might be the SAP event that alternates between the big island's Kohala coast and Maui every other year. I've been unfortunate to get caught up in this thing twice. They basically commandeer all the hotels in the area for 5 nights to treat their global high performers to an all expense paid trip. I was at the Mauna Kea last Feb and had to shorten my stay by 2 days due to this event, they booked the entire hotel as well as the Hapuna, the Hilton, the Mauna Lani, the Fairmont and parts of the Marriott. I'm sure it's the same deal in Wailea when they run the event in Maui. I'd advise going to another part of Maui or another island unless you want to feel like an outsider at a corporate retreat.

You begin to wonder what SAP's profit is when they can book every high priced resort AND fly in either Billy Joel or Elton John for a private concert.

This is in direct opposition to the Ironman race that fills up cheaper rooms first and takes all rental cars. The public is encouraged to come watch that event.

"The concert was in closing to a 5 day appreciation event sponsored by SAP (technology software co.) for its employees/affiliates and their families which completely bought out five hotels; Hilton at Waikoloa, Mauna Lani, Fairmont Orchid, Hapuna, and Mauna Kea. Owners and residents were politely asked not to come onto the hotel grounds during the five days of their stay."

That is in direct opposition to the Ironman race in October that takes cheaper rooms first aand encourages everyone to come watch.

iceman77_7 Sep 9, 2015 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 25397616)
Of course opinions vary, but I've spent quite a bit of time in Wailea so am happy to share mine. My go-to place is the Marriott, as I find it offers the best value. The staff is great, it's right next to the upscale Shops at Wailea, the adults-only infinity pool is a delight, and I always get great upgrades as a Marriott plat.

I also used to stay at the Andaz years ago when it was the Renaissance (and therefore part of the Marriott family). I wandered over during my last stay in June and found it stuffy, pretentious, poorly laid-out, and generally disappointing. It's trying SO hard to be hip and cool that it was almost painful to watch.

The other place I don't care for (but many of my friends do) is the Waldorf=Astoria Grand Wailea. It's always been a bit of a circus, but they've let the place get run-down over time so now it's not even the sparkling circus it once was. My Hilton buddies complain about their lack of upgrades or elite treatment in general, but keep going back because at least they can earn points. And at the inflated prices the place charges, they do earn a lot of points.

I do, however, like the Fairmont. It's an all-suite layout and offer Fairmont's typical high level of service and amenities. The location is relatively poor, being all the way at the end of the Wailea beachwalk, but otherwise it's a good, solid choice.

The Four Seasons gets mixed reviews. I do think they charge more than what their rooms are worth, and you have to pay for a decently upgraded room to get even a hint of ocean view. I also had a very disappointing meal at Spago in June, when my wife and I ate there for our 20th anniversary based on the Beverly Hills Spago being one of the best dining experiences of our lives. But you can't judge the hotel just based on that.

If you're willing to forsake points, there are all kinds of timeshares and condos for rent up and down Wailea beach that probably offer a much better value proposition. But since you're posting here you probably a points-chaser like the rest of us, so that may not be a viable option. Good luck finding a room when you want to go, and please report back on what you pick and how you like it!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the Sheraton in Ka'anapali is a pretty poor place, but the Westin looks wonderful. The Ritz is fantastic, but more remote and some people here have complained about cloudy days and rain up on that corner of the island. I only stayed up there once, and it was just as perfect as my many stays in Wailea so I can't vouch for the weather!

Thanks for the detailed recommendations. Interestingly, both the Fairmont AND the Marriott are also unavailable for the dates I'm looking at! There must be something huge going on that week, perhaps the SAP thing as another poster mentioned. Pretty annoying!

I'm pretty much left with a timeshare/condo for Wailea or staying at the Hyatt or Westin in Ka'anapali. I have access to a decent Hyatt rate ~$249/night so I'm leaning in that direction unless I find a great timeshare/condo. Any recommendations on that front besides airbnb/homeaway? :-)

lhgreengrd1 Sep 11, 2015 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by iceman77_7 (Post 25389683)

I'm a fan of the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea. The post above is the first time I've ever heard someone call the location "relatively poor". Not a fan of the Grand Wailea. For a good rate, I also wouldn't have a problem with the Makena resort, but it's not in the class of the Kea Lani, Andaz, or FS. More like a more laid back equivalent to the Marriott Wailea. As for the Kaanapali and Kapalua areas, I like the Ritz if you can get a good price on it, and I like the Hyatt in Kaanapali, but I usually stay in the Westin Ocean Resort Villas, because I can trade another Westin (Kierland in Scottsdale) that I have TS ownership. Believe it or not, I've never had any problem trading the Starpoint value of 7 days in July/August in Scottsdale for 4 days at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas in Jan/Feb/March.

Typically, when I do Maui, I do 4-5 days in Kaanapali, and 4-6 days in Wailea.