Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Appropriate Business Footwear for Hawaii?

Old Aug 17, 15, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

I will also go soon to Hawaii (for the first time), but with business, do you know which office shoes are allowed there...or are better to be worn there?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 18, 15 at 4:33 am Reason: moved from existing thread
Old Aug 18, 15, 4:39 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Based on the link you provided, you are asking about shoes for men. I think any closed leather shoe would be appropriate. If your business will take place in a corporate office building or similar environment, I would think that any black or brown leather loafer or lace-up would be fine. If your business is in a less formal location you could go with some brighter colors but I would lean on the conservative side.
Old Aug 18, 15, 6:51 am

And if you go into any private homes, many take their shoes off as they enter. Just follow the leader and wear socks with no holes.

Last edited by KenfromDE; Aug 18, 15 at 7:32 am
Old Aug 23, 15, 1:42 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by Ladybug3 View Post
I will also go soon to Hawaii (for the first time), but with business, do you know which office shoes are allowed there...or are better to be worn there?
Doing business in Hawaii?

http://www.hawaiibusiness.com/island...s-for-success/

http://www.howtoliveinhawaii.com/262...ess-in-hawaii/

http://www.howtoliveinhawaii.com/260...ess-in-hawaii/

Some don'ts, regardless of what any article says: Slippers, Muumuus, Too much skin.
Old Aug 24, 15, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT 1.75MM, Hyatt-Discoverist, Starriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
This thread struck a nerve -- the first time my team leader and I visited Honolulu to meet folks in our office there, the manager made a point to tell us to be sure to wear socks. Apparently, that manager had sent people away who were dressed too casually for the office or appeared to be in more of a vacation mode.

My approach to dressing for work in the islands was fairly calculated. The first day, I would come to the office overdressed (sportcoat, slacks and a tie), and almost every time, someone in the office would pull me aside and tell me that it was OK to sport the Hawaii formal look (slacks, pressed and conservative Hawaiian shirt, socks, loafers). I always waited for the validation, though, before I dressed that way.
Old Aug 24, 15, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Trustguy View Post
My approach to dressing for work in the islands was fairly calculated. The first day, I would come to the office overdressed (sportcoat, slacks and a tie), and almost every time, someone in the office would pull me aside and tell me that it was OK to sport the Hawaii formal look (slacks, pressed and conservative Hawaiian shirt, socks, loafers). I always waited for the validation, though, before I dressed that way.
Unless you are an attorney reporting for work at court, or McGarrett transported back in time, do not come to work in Hawaii in a sport coat and tie. Standard business attire for men is a tucked-in Aloha shirt and dress pants, nice shoes, and of course, socks.
Old Aug 24, 15, 11:54 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Unless you are an attorney reporting for work at court, or McGarrett transported back in time, do not come to work in Hawaii in a sport coat and tie. Standard business attire for men is a tucked-in Aloha shirt and dress pants, nice shoes, and of course, socks.
My experience has been that dress shirt with slacks and shoes/socks with no tie is also becoming a viable option for business dress in Hawaii, at least here in Honolulu. For those without aloha shirts in the closet, you might be able to get away with this slightly more formal look.
Old Sep 14, 15, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
I wear Golf Polo's for business. Have a great selection from courses all over the state. Always seems to be appropriate. Closed shoes for business!

Did wear white slacks with aloha shirt for my wedding, slippers. (slippahs).
The only coat and tie are the missionarys.
Old Sep 16, 15, 3:44 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
The George Clooney Look

This would be appropriate for a business meeting I would think.

Tan slacks and a subdued Hawaiian/Aloha shirt.

I personally would wear socks and closed shoes, like dress shoes, rather than sandals.

Old Oct 13, 15, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Just met Lavarock7 for a beverage and he was dressed just like the picture he posted!

Last edited by hawkxp; Oct 13, 15 at 8:12 pm Reason: misspell
Old Oct 13, 15, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by hawkxp View Post
Just met Lavarock7 for a beverage and he was dressed just like the picture he posted!
Lavarock7 looks like George Clooney??? I will be visiting a friend near Capt. Cook next month. Need any help walking those Labs?
Old Oct 13, 15, 8:27 pm

Heads Up

I know for a fact that Lavarock lives alone with his dogs and must be pretty remote because he can talk your ear off when he gets out in public.

Just be warned :-)
Old Oct 13, 15, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Lavarock7 View Post
I know for a fact that Lavarock lives alone with his dogs and must be pretty remote because he can talk your ear off when he gets out in public.

Just be warned :-)
Well I'll be staying with a friend at his place overlooking Kealakekua Bay, and I have a Golden Retriever so I'm a dog lover. Too bad Mr. Fink will be with me

Although if you really do look like George, I'm sure he would give me a pass.
It's always nice to meet other FT-ers.
Old Oct 22, 15, 3:56 pm

Me in Business Casual

I attended military school in the 60's and attended a reunion earlier this year May. I didn't realize it but a photo was taken of me on campus that day in business casual Hawaiian-style.

Although we used to wear uniforms, I think this was an appropriate way to show up yet not disgrace my past.

Old Oct 23, 15, 12:10 am

Lavarock7: Congrats on your 50th class reunion! Awesome.

While your reunion garb certainly was appropriate, for the benefit of those who need to understand "Hawaii Business Attire," I would recommend that when attending a business meeting, the Aloha Shirt should be tucked in, like the above-styled George Cluney picture. Casual gatherings? Untucked is fine.

Search this Thread