Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Kona - a True Third World Airport!

Kona - a True Third World Airport!

Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
Believe it or not, some people actually like the old fashioned facilities.
Another vote to count us in as *liking* the "old-fashioned facilities." I'll take KOA over PHX any day, any weather (but I guess that's not saying much).

People are more laid back, I've heard impromptu pre-boarding slack key "performances" by well-known local musicians as we wait in the outdoor areas. And for food? Heck, the little shop (not the restaurant) always has bags of Donna's Cookies; yep, they're pricier than at the KTA, but talk about a treat when you're flying out (or even arriving)...

I was surprised, though, when the KOA TSA screeners had no idea what my 'ukulele's humidifier was (I hadn't considered the smidgen of water in there as a no-no when it went through TSA). Maybe they don't have to *add* moisture to their little four-stringed beauties...but I learned my lesson. Now I always pull it out of the 'ukulele case and put it in the 3-1-1 bag...
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I am in and out of KOA regularly for work and have learned to like the ease of parking and just walking literally a few yards to the baggage area. Also, they now do have TSA pre lines. I have learned to not hang around in the heat long and just blow into KOA, porter check my bags, TSA pre, and get on my flight with no gate lingering. Always check to see if your flight is late and I usually bag food out of KOA as the food service is limited at best.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I join with others here to express my love for the Kona airport. I've been there I think four times. I'm totally okay with its lack of all things that you might expect from other USA airports.

Lighten up, Kona passengers. Roll with a slower pace. Don't be mainland a-holes.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by nomad420
I am in and out of KOA regularly for work and have learned to like the ease of parking and just walking literally a few yards to the baggage area. Also, they now do have TSA pre lines. I have learned to not hang around in the heat long and just blow into KOA, porter check my bags, TSA pre, and get on my flight with no gate lingering. Always check to see if your flight is late and I usually bag food out of KOA as the food service is limited at best.
It's been awhile since I've been on the UA side of KOA, as I'm usually flying HA. Is it a dedicated Pre line over on the UA side? On the HA side, it's Pre-lite.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
As I sit here looking at the fog lifting in London and big flight disruption, with an autumn chill in the air, I long to return to KOA and its laid back outdoor terminal for that true holiday feeling. Apart from the restaurant it's my favourite airport, so relaxing. Aloha!
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by yogimax
Why so many snarky responses, like this one, on Flyer Talk?
Probably because there's so many people here that only exist to complain about something.

You're in Hawaii, is it really that bad?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by slippahs
It's been awhile since I've been on the UA side of KOA, as I'm usually flying HA. Is it a dedicated Pre line over on the UA side? On the HA side, it's Pre-lite.
If I remember I'll let you know mid-Feb. Aloha!!!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
You're in Hawaii, is it really that bad?
You're in the process of leaving Hawaii, so it is that bad!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I love the airports I've been to at the various islands (HNL, OGG, LIH, Molokai)...haven't been to KOA but planning to watch the Ravens win the Superbowl on the Big Island this year...any recent updates?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: no status
Haha, we love the Hawaiian airports especially ITO, LIH, and KOA. Last year we returned from KOA to Canada on WestJet, and it took more than few minutes to find a letter sized paper with handwritten scribbles scotch taped to a wall, that indicated the gate. That's the Aloha spirit
BH62 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shyam99
I love the airports I've been to at the various islands (HNL, OGG, LIH, Molokai)...haven't been to KOA but planning to watch the Ravens win the Superbowl on the Big Island this year...any recent updates?
Update; Ravens???

Will be on big island and my choice is Chiefs. Not a fan of either finalist
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
I visited KOA at lest 14 times before moving here. Personally I love the airport. It is NOT LGA or EWR or LAX and we like it that way.

Until 9-11 we used to be able to use the rear stairs to deplane and that made the back of the plane out before 1st Class.

Not having 40 fast food places (and having to walk miles to get to the one you want) is solved. One restaurant within sight.

In May I went Delta from KOA to CHO and back. On both the outbound and inbound flights the TSA lady stopped me and hugged me (how great is that?). I rented her and her husband a house when they arrived on island, so old friends. On the mainland if a TSA grabs you there would be a suit filed :-)

There are some upgrades due to KOA soon and I hope they don't take the charm away. On a trip through LAX recently I was freezing in the terminal. At least here, that doesn't happen.

By the way, CHO has rocking chairs outside the airport. I wouldn't change that either.

Last edited by Lavarock7; Mar 21, 2020 at 8:24 pm Reason: Spelling

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.