Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kona - a True Third World Airport!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by Taipei
PDX has food trucks in the terminal (fixed, not able to move), so Kona could do it (Taipei had/has food carts, ie: night market in outer area of area, so Kona could do plate lunch carts?). I do like Kona airport (much better than Hilo), as it fits the destination. I would think is so many people did not like it, they might use Hilo more but they do not (Hilo has one mainland flight, compared to 15+ from Kona on peak days).
I fear the problem is it won't be a food truck, it'll be food trucks. And they won't be true local, they'll be mainland versions of local. And they'll bring their friends with their mainland version of local: Starbucks selling Kona coffee and mac nut cookies; McDonald's with loco moco. And then it truly will be LGA west, complete with grumbling tourists who're now complaining that nothing is like it used to be. We might as well just change the city code to UGH.

In the words of the esteemed thespian and great orator Samuel L. Jackson, "NO, NO, NO, NO, NO." Leave KOA alone. Dumpy outdoor terminals, crowded uncomfortable seating, divey rip-off restaurant, no FIDS for flight info. Leave it be and let us have a living monument to that ever disappearing experience of going/being somewhere different. Even if that somewhere is mostly in our minds.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
KOA does not bother me and my wife loves it. Says it reminds her of OGG when it was open air and she was growing up in Paia.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by frankmu
I would be nice if they had a proper shave ice stand and a plate lunch truck airside.
Mmm airside Kau Kau!

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I hope they don't change a thing about KOA. It's wonderful to land there and walk down the stairs/ramp knowing that your vacation has just begun. Upon leaving, you get an extra hour or two enjoying the Hawaiian sunshine/breezes. I much prefer KOA to an enclosed terminal like OGG, which, once your inside, feels no different from Reno or Cleveland airport.
Agree about the airstairs- somethin' bout them.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
airport

I feel sorry for people who do not appreciate our airport. Yes, it is not like SFO, ORD, etc. It is a great Hawaiian airport. When JAL was there, I think it was the only airport in the US that unloaded 747's with stairs :#. way be wrong but it is part of the charm.

Improvements, sure many. Jetways? please no

Sorry people expect more food airside, it is a small airport. I bring something to snack on with me. If it is more then your first time; your bad

It is stuffy inside, heck its Hawaii. Lack of clubs, yea I feel this. Not enough flights for anybody #except HA) to justify.

If you have traveled to some real third world airports, KOA is Paradise
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I was just there last weekend it it wasn't a problem at all. heck, the little cafe even has air conditioning (I think?) so it's not even too hot. The only issue I had was that the gates didn't actually have a sign showing what flight was departing next and the TV with the departures was not working so I had to ask the gate agent if the gate was still the same as on our boarding pass when I checked in the night before... but that was about it. Cool to board a plane by walking on to the plane during sunset though, definitely quite the experience.

In terms of "non-functional airports", I thought PUJ was worse...
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I flew out of KOA a few days ago. I had a Pre✓ on my boarding pass. The TSA identification checker gave me a laminated yellow card and told me that it would speed my way through the security screening.

There was no one in line and I didn't need to kill any time, so I didn't bother to read the fine print on the card.

I proceeded to place my rollaboard on the x-ray scanner belt and got ready to walk through the metal detector when the TSA person there asked me if I had a computer or liquids in my bag. I answered that I had the 3-1-1 bag. He scolded me that the instructions on the yellow card are to take all the liquids out of the carry on bag for separate screening. I did and asked him what was the point of having the Pre✓. He did not answer. At least I got to keep on my shoes.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TWA884
I flew out of KOA a few days ago. I had a Pre✓ on my boarding pass. The TSA identification checker gave me a laminated yellow card and told me that it would speed my way through the security screening.

There was no one in line and I didn't need to kill any time, so I didn't bother to read the fine print on the card.

I proceeded to place my rollaboard on the x-ray scanner belt and got ready to walk through the metal detector when the TSA person there asked me if I had a computer or liquids in my bag. I answered that I had the 3-1-1 bag. He scolded me that the instructions on the yellow card are to take all the liquids out of the carry on bag for separate screening. I did and asked him what was the point of having the Pre✓. He did not answer. At least I got to keep on my shoes.
I dont have pre-screening or anything and I didnt have to do any of that...
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

Your experience at KOA is consistent with typical TSA-list precheck experiences across the nation. Keep the shoes and light jackets on, usually get to walk through WTMD and avoid the body scanner, but you have to take liquids and laptops out of your bags.

Did this three times in the last few weeks--once at KOA, once at HNL when all Precheck lanes were closed (seriously?) and again at PHX.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I call this the semi-pre-check or the .......ized pre-check. Sucks if you don't know it is coming and your liquids are buried as mine sometimes are.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by slippahs
Your experience at KOA is consistent with typical TSA-list precheck experiences across the nation. Keep the shoes and light jackets on, usually get to walk through WTMD and avoid the body scanner, but you have to take liquids and laptops out of your bags.
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I call this the semi-pre-check or the .......ized pre-check. Sucks if you don't know it is coming and your liquids are buried as mine sometimes are.
Live and learn, it was my first encounter with Pre✓ light.

Yes, my liquids were buried quite deep.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I went through KOA a few weeks ago using PreCheck. The line literally closed down with us next in line, so we had to take PreCheck Light in the next lane, but at least we were pulled in at the front of the main line.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I actually think KOA is sweet.
OTOH, on our return my husband showed his Drivers license as I.D. It expired last month and he brought it with him along with his new temporary D.L. The expired D.L. was for the purpose of photo I.D. TSA saw that his license had expired. My husband produced the new temporary one.(non issue out of LAX)
This resulted in my husband taken aside, body search and full baggage search. Every article in his carry on was scrutinized.
We were on the Big Island at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel for a week. Nothing in the carry on but shorts, tees, swimsuits. The good news is that the inspectors were courteous.
When we arrived home, his new D.L. was in the mail.
We still think KOA is a rather sweet, retro airport.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
This thread brought back some great memories of the Big Island. My only trip to KOA was 15 years ago this month. Flew a UA 742 both ways via SFO and to date has been my only experience using air stairs. I have a photo of The Whale's cockpit peaking over the terminal somewhere.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:00 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Michael El
This thread brought back some great memories of the Big Island. My only trip to KOA was 15 years ago this month. Flew a UA 742 both ways via SFO and to date has been my only experience using air stairs. I have a photo of The Whale's cockpit peaking over the terminal somewhere.
The air stairs, thankfully, have been replaced my ramps. You still get on and off the plane outdoors. No jetways. Those air stairs were pretty tricky shlepping luggage in the rain, which was not an infrequent occurrence. Also, surely much easier for pax in wheelchairs.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
I am not terribly bothered by the outdoor atmosphere of KOA. The issues of food services being less than the other Island airports and the faulty speakers to hear announcements is bothersome.
We are heading there ourselves in December for another investigation into retirement options. I just wish that they had a outdoor bar so I can grab a chilled beer prior to boarding.
I adore smaller airports and would recommend STS, SBA and SFE for anyone who shares my weirdness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.