Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Kona - a True Third World Airport!

Kona - a True Third World Airport!

Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by yogimax
Why so many snarky responses, like this one, on Flyer Talk?

The State of Hawaii thrives on tourism, and rightly so. Why not spend a small proportion of revenue to fix up an outdated and non functional airport and attract even more tourists?
Perhaps if you avoid gross exaggerations such as this. Non- functional - come on - it may not be as functional as you would like but -NON functional.?

Originally Posted by drew870mitchell
I felt that KOA was one of the coolest airports I've ever been to, with two caveats:

* The agricultural inspection line was pretty poorly organized
* The restaurant is a complete and utter rip. We couldn't find anyone who would deliver a pizza to the terminal either.
Agreed.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
IMO, KOA is quite suited for its location. I personally don't mind the last-century look and feel, and it is the gateway to the Big Island; arriving at Keahole is like entering a decompression chamber to help me transition to the easier, more laid back ways of Hawai'i (the island).

It would be cool if they offered better food and shave ice, but then I don't usually go to airports or airplanes for my best dining. (I tend to like Merriman's and Brown's Beach House for upscale dining, and there are lots of places with local color and eats - even the Bite Me Fish Market Bar and Grill at the nearby Honokohau marina, especially if there's ono/ wahoo on the menu).

But... having the FlightBoard app on my smartphone makes it easier because the OP is right - not so much usable flight board or tin can tannoy announcements here (though very light air traffic makes it easier).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:15 pm
Suspended

For some reason, I find the Kona airport facilities don't bother me in the slightest on my arrival, but the place makes me noticeably grumpier on my departure.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope they don't change a thing about KOA. It's wonderful to land there and walk down the stairs/ramp knowing that your vacation has just begun. Upon leaving, you get an extra hour or two enjoying the Hawaiian sunshine/breezes. I much prefer KOA to an enclosed terminal like OGG, which, once your inside, feels no different from Reno or Cleveland airport.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I love the open-air feel of the Kona airport. Uniquely Hawaiian.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by loomis
I love the open-air feel of the Kona airport. Uniquely Hawaiian.
^^ exactly
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Its just Quaint, quite funny really
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I love the open air Hawaii airports.

Even when in the indoor terminal in HNL, I stay outside on the outdoor walkway as long as possible.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:42 pm

this thread has me excited to go. We are a group of 6 arriving in 10 days - everyone's first time in Hawaii. We are from East Coast. I grew up in the Virgin Islands - and at that time our local airport was a hanger. It has since been modernized. I look at old photos and boy do I miss that hanger. The notion of returning to a island style airport - with all of its quirks - is exciting! Hooray!

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
For some reason, I find the Kona airport facilities don't bother me in the slightest on my arrival, but the place makes me noticeably grumpier on my departure.
We call that (departure) the "walk of woe'. LOL

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 15, 2015 at 4:33 am Reason: Merge
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Yeah, I get grumpy when I am leaving Hawaii too.

As for the airport - all the airports in Hawaii are a bit dated, but I'm not really in the airports as a transit point - you're almost certainly ending/beginning your trip from here. It'd be quite a bit different if it was a massive hub for business travelers...
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
KOA

This thread reminds me of the time my company relocated many of us Marylanders to Atlanta. It was not uncommon to see bumper stickers that said "We don't care how you did it up north...". It was at that moment I realized that what *I* wanted was not going to change the world :-)

Every time I pass though KOA, I get misty, perhaps because I am either leaving or coming back home.

If you dislike KOA for what it is, that I feel sorry for you. Yes, we could have an antiseptic terminal with a Cinnabun and Starbucks, but that is not what we are. Yes, a Shave Ice stand on the inside would be nice though.

In fact I am sorry that they stopped us from being able to deplane through the tail cones. It was such a rush to be out of the back of the plane even before first class did.

If you get to the airport early, you can go to the Onazuca Space Museum and see a moon rock. Few (if any) other airports offer that! http://www.moonchasers.com/onizuka.html

Last edited by Lavarock7; Aug 21, 2015 at 7:00 pm
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, United, Delta ex-status
Originally Posted by nomad420
I come through KOA regularly on business. . .
You are my hero for pulling that one off, especially of you work Kauai also. What do yo do and how do I route a resume?

Originally Posted by bluwater
We call that (departure) the "walk of woe'.
I really understand. I really do. Don't really want to live in Hawaii but darn I like to be there. The out-island airport quirkiness arrival experience is part of it. Get off the plane to the local music and the local flowers in the air and vacation has started. One loco moco and it's rolling.

The day I leave I just want the wheels up on the first plane out and get departure over with. Still trying to figure out how to do some island more than two or three weeks a year.

Originally Posted by frankmu
I would be nice if they had a proper shave ice stand and a plate lunch truck airside.
Amen. It's way more fun when you have been there enough you stop being a mainland tourist and become short-term Hawaiian.

Last edited by jayer; Aug 16, 2015 at 8:22 pm
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JDiver
IMO, KOA is quite suited for its location. I personally don't mind the last-century look and feel, and it is the gateway to the Big Island; arriving at Keahole is like entering a decompression chamber to help me transition to the easier, more laid back ways of Hawai'i (the island).
+1. It's a small airport, with right-sized facilities that seem small only when a 757 or 767 is boarding. Yes, when I was there in July the outdoor air wasn't so pleasant, but otherwise I like the outdoor airports. Why bother with a bunch of A/C, particularly for airports where you're generally not around too long?

I've always liked little airports like this - I used to like Bozeman and Jackson more before they were renovated and enlarged - always chuckled at the baggage claim that was basically a garage door that they lifted to pass your bags through.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by yogimax
Why so many snarky responses, like this one, on Flyer Talk?

My post wasn't about the weather, it was about the airport.
Because your primary (i.e. first) complaint was about the weather and being outside. Most people enjoy spending time outside in Hawaii. It's kinda why they go there. So then that made it harder to take your subsequent (and more valid) complaints seriously.

FWIW, I agree that they have terrible schedules, we were in a similar situation where our Alaska Airlines flight boarded at the same time (within 10 minutes) as an AA or DL flight, through basically the same gate, and it was chaos and really unpleasant.

Last edited by janetdoe; Aug 23, 2015 at 1:36 am
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by frankmu
I would be nice if they had a proper shave ice stand and a plate lunch truck airside.

PDX has food trucks in the terminal (fixed, not able to move), so Kona could do it (Taipei had/has food carts, ie: night market in outer area of area, so Kona could do plate lunch carts?). I do like Kona airport (much better than Hilo), as it fits the destination. I would think is so many people did not like it, they might use Hilo more but they do not (Hilo has one mainland flight, compared to 15+ from Kona on peak days).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.