Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Big Island: Fairmont Orchid vs Mauna Lani

Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan

Mrs CO FF has a "0" birthday this winter, so we're going to the Big Island. After a little lava time (we hope!), we'll head to the Kohala coast. My options as of now are:

FAIRMONT ORCHID: Deluxe Ocean View room, w/bkfst, $800/night all-in.
MAUNA LANI: Deluxe Ocean FRONT room, w/bkfst, $650/night all-in.

We'd stayed at both properties about 10 years ago, and they're both quite nice (not Four Seasons, but...), but I've read very mixed reviews on other sites about the Mauna Lani after its refurbishment last year.

Does anyone here have any recent experience with either property?

TIA...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just curious...you're in the price range for a golf ocean villa at Four Seasons - why not consider that option? You can PM me for further details
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
All-in, the no breakfast rate at Four Seasons is $1150. That's for golf-course view -- compared to ocean front at the other properties.

I know that the Four Seasons is better - but I'm not sure it's $1,000-$1,500 better to have a lesser view.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CO FF
All-in, the no breakfast rate at Four Seasons is $1150. That's for golf-course view -- compared to ocean front at the other properties.

I know that the Four Seasons is better - but I'm not sure it's $1,000-$1,500 better to have a lesser view.
What are your dates? I can check quickly to compare plus all of my rates include breakfast for two at no additional cost
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Please note that when booking these hotels through a Virtuoso agent, you receive complimentary full breakfast for two daily, an upgrade on arrival, if available, plus a value-added amenity.

When booking the Four Seasons through a Preferred Partner agent, you receive complimentary breakfast for two daily, an upgrade on availability, free basic wifi and a $100 food and beverage credit.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I stayed at the Fairmont Orchid with my wife a couple years ago (August 2013) and loved it.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Just got back from a stay at the Fairmont Orchid last month, which was our second or third time staying at the property, and loved it. The Mauna Lani is right next door (the properties are easily walkable from one another via the beach path) and felt very dated and sleepy to me, although I didn't see any of the rooms.

I think both properties are rated 4-star on hotels.com, etc. (with the Four Seasons being a "5") but from initial impressions, I'd put the public areas of the Mauna Lani at more like a 3 or 3.5...
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by icedancer
Just got back from a stay at the Fairmont Orchid last month, which was our second or third time staying at the property, and loved it. The Mauna Lani is right next door (the properties are easily walkable from one another via the beach path) and felt very dated and sleepy to me, although I didn't see any of the rooms.

I think both properties are rated 4-star on hotels.com, etc. (with the Four Seasons being a "5") but from initial impressions, I'd put the public areas of the Mauna Lani at more like a 3 or 3.5...
Second that sentiment as well. Fairmonts have a rap for being a bit on the older side as well, but this felt very up-to-date, and the dining options with the views are excellent.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Mauna Lani has a much more "Hawaiian"
feel than the Fairmont which could be a beach resort anywhere in the world. For this reason I prefer the ML. In that price range, however, I'd be staying oceanfront at the Mauna Kea. Much better beach and great hotel.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The Mauna Lani has a much more "Hawaiian"
feel than the Fairmont which could be a beach resort anywhere in the world. For this reason I prefer the ML. In that price range, however, I'd be staying oceanfront at the Mauna Kea. Much better beach and great hotel.
I would agree with that. IMHO, at $600-800 per night (and assuming that the 4S Hualalai is noticeably more, which it usually is) IMHO, the Mauna Kea is definitely the choice on the Kohala coast - particularly for the superior beach.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Wink

Originally Posted by CO FF

I stay at the 4 Season on business frequently and while nice it is NOT worth the price. It is actually getting a little run down for the money. The gym and locker room area need to be redone. The restaurants are often crowded and difficult to get reservations at. Golfing is VERY expensive, I think it is now north of $250. A lot of weird rules with owners, renters, hotel guests, and property guest having different status levels of priorities on pool seating, reservations, and golf times/costs (kind of like the airlines). Having said all that it is still one of the nicest places to stay on the island.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
I stay at the 4 Season on business frequently and while nice it is NOT worth the price. It is actually getting a little run down for the money. The gym and locker room area need to be redone. The restaurants are often crowded and difficult to get reservations at. Golfing is VERY expensive, I think it is now north of $250. A lot of weird rules with owners, renters, hotel guests, and property guest having different status levels of priorities on pool seating, reservations, and golf times/costs (kind of like the airlines). Having said all that it is still one of the nicest places to stay on the island.
While I agree the gym and its equipment have seen better days, the locker room is perfectly fine and follows the traditional Hawaiian design concept throughout the resort. I am there frequently as well, and I think it's worth every penny when you consider the combination of room quality, bedding, amenities and service.

There aren't many weird rules - owners of Hualalai residences have priority at all Hualalai facilities outside the FS resort, specifically certain golf courses including one course off limits to non owners/members, and the Residents Beach House restaurant which is sort of a hybrid facility which can prioritize tables for owners/members (there is another restaurant which is off-limits to hotel guests and even unaccompanied guests of the residential properties).

At Hualalai, you're either a property owner, and as such can be a club member or non-member (further distinguishing your rights to certain amenities), or a guest (all renters are considered guests) with no rights or access unless accompanied by an owner or member, or you're a hotel guest who is restricted to the resort proper. I don't really see anything wrong with this arrangement as the hotel exists as a standalone operation inside of a residential resort which is normal for much of Hawaii and also governs hotels inside Waikoloa and Mauna Lani.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.