Search

HNL for a long weekend. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
HNL for a long weekend. What to do?

Later next month I'm taking myself to HNL for the weekend. Pretty cheap fare with RPU's confirmed and free car rental made it a no brainier. I'm a recreational certified scuba diver. Are there places to go diving but shallow dives (<30 ft). How about half day fishing trips? I'll probably stay at the Hilton right on the beach.

Food options?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I assume you're already decided to remain on Oahu?

Haleiwa area was one of our favorites on Oahu, although to be honest Oahu was our least-favorite Hawaiian island. Also liked a couple of the days we spent in the inland part of the island, hiking and such, but I forget exactly where we were.

I would guess that there are tons of dive charters to pick from, but we only snorkeled off the coasts of Kauai and Maui. We saw lots of divers in both of those areas but I honestly didn't pay much attention when we were on Oahu.

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It's a big urban hotel that treats Diamonds and Golds well enough, but I probably won't ever stay there again. Just not my style for a leisure trip...too much like every other massive Hilton I've ever stayed in on business.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I do this about 2X a year and it goes by fast

I don't scuba dive so I'm not doing that but just enjoying the beach, having a few drinks and catching anything from the North Shore (surfing), Pearl Harbor, paddle boarding, and just good old walking around and its over with before you know it.

I don't rent a car unless I'm going to the North shore though. Buses get me around just fine.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:50 pm

steak shack is a must

Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good info all thanks. I think I saw that Steak Shack on diners, drive-ins, and dives. Looks awesome. I'll google some diving charters later.

I planned on that weekend to be match/tinder/POF free.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I planned on that weekend to be match/tinder/POF free.
Is it terrible that I'm not sure you can manage this? lol
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annerj
Is it terrible that I'm not sure you can manage this? lol
No, you are right. It might be too difficult to not swipe right.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:42 pm

I'd suggest hiking to the top of Diamond Head. Absolutely stunning view from the top.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by NoClu
I'd suggest hiking to the top of Diamond Head. Absolutely stunning view from the top.
yes a nice view but walking up there is kind of like walking with a million others down 5th avenue NYC

its up hill yeah, but it wasn't exactly hiking
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
yes a nice view but walking up there is kind of like walking with a million others down 5th avenue NYC
sounds like hiking all over colorado. Blah one of the reasons I left for wider open spaces
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
When I lived on Oahu, I actually flew to LA for the weekend. It was only $220 or so for the flight. Those were the cheap airfare days.

While I am not a diver, there are a few charters out of Haleiwa (have some shaved ice at Matsumotos while you are on the North Shore). Closer to Waikiki is Kewolo Basin. They have plenty of fishing charters too. There are quite a few places off Waikiki for diving. If I remember right, there is a WW II plane off Waikiki beach that people dive around.

Tell us how it goes.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Isn't Hawaii Five-O on tonight? Maybe Ian can scope out some places

Cheers.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't scuba dive so I'm not doing that but just enjoying the beach, having a few drinks and catching anything from the North Shore (surfing), Pearl Harbor, paddle boarding, and just good old walking around and its over with before you know it.

I don't rent a car unless I'm going to the North shore though. Buses get me around just fine.
I am staying at the Hilton Waikiki Beach. The room rate will be more than my airfare there lol At any rate it's $25/day to park I'm thinking do I really need a car? Is Uber X readily available? Are there grocery stores, restaurants, 7-11's within walking distance?

Any other cheaper parking options if I do in fact rent a car? $25/day is ridiculous.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
From the Hilton, there are both 7-11 and ABC stores nearby. They have snacks and drinks (even some alcohol). There is a Foodland grocery store on Kuhio (about 1/2 -3/4 of a mile away).

For your short time there, maybe it would save money by not having a car.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Quote:

I am staying at the Hilton Waikiki Beach. The room rate will be more than my airfare there lol At any rate it's $25/day to park I'm thinking do I really need a car? Is Uber X readily available? Are there grocery stores, restaurants, 7-11's within walking distance?

Any other cheaper parking options if I do in fact rent a car? $25/day is ridiculous.
ABC = 7-11
I like HHV but don't know of alternate parking

Tons of restaurants within walking distance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.