Oahu - Coast NW of Honolulu?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr

My partner & I have been to Oahu twice before and have favorite beaches and points of interest on the Windward Side & North Shore, but haven't explored the area past HNL and on up the western coast along Farrington Hwy (Rte 93). We're heading back there in March. Are there any scenic spots/good beaches/quaint villages up that way?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I used to live on Oahu for 6 years but it's been several years I left. When I lived there, unless you were local (or really brave), you didn't go past Ko'Olina. With that said, I have made several trips up the western coast line all the way to Makaha. I can't say I ever stopped at any of the beaches. When I lived there, the homeless camps pretty much took over many of the beach areas but that has changed.

I would go out there for a drive at least and check out the area. Just be mindful of your surroundings (just like anywhere else on the islands). Enjoy your trip and report back how you liked it.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:07 am

Go all the way to end of highway, maybe 10 miles past KoOlina. Mountains on right are beautiful. Seems this is a large state park nice beach where road ends
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've gone up that way several times. Most people won't go passed Ko'Olina, and it can be considered unsafe to go to the beaches. But I went anyway.

Once I went to pay may respects to Bruddah Iz not too long after his death.

Another time I was invited to Ray Kane's home and was welcomed with open arms.

I don't go too often. Not because I feel unsafe, but because it's probably the only non-touristy part of the island and the residents deserve to get away from them when they're at home.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by gsupstate
My partner & I have been to Oahu twice before and have favorite beaches and points of interest on the Windward Side & North Shore, but haven't explored the area past HNL and on up the western coast along Farrington Hwy (Rte 93). We're heading back there in March. Are there any scenic spots/good beaches/quaint villages up that way?
Depending on your interests, you could stop off at Ko'olina resort, wander around the lagoon paths fronting the Ihilani and Aulani, etc. There is very limited public beach access parking, but it is an option.

Tourism is all about finding out how the locals live. As such, don't be disuaded by Mary2e's comments about them deserving to be left alone. If that were true, no one would visit Tuscany, etc. Do drive out to Waianae, check out the beach there or at Yokohama Bay. Just a word of warning: As in many other destinations, tourists are often seen as prey, so be alert, and don't leave valuables in your car.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It was just my personal opinion about leaving some part of the island a bit tourist free. I wasn't suggesting anyone else should feel that way nor behave that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.