FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   24 Hour Lihue (Kauai) Safeway Now Open (Sept 2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1613108-24-hour-lihue-kauai-safeway-now-open-sept-2015-a.html)

bpratt Sep 15, 2014 8:31 pm

24 Hour Lihue (Kauai) Safeway Now Open (Sept 2015)

Anyone know? I know construction is underway but no idea when it's scheduled to open.

Thanks
Bob

WRCSolberg Sep 19, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm not sure about the Safeway, but does anyone know what the large new store going in over by the Coconut Marketplace in Kapaa is?

bree22 Sep 28, 2014 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg (Post 23551725)
I'm not sure about the Safeway, but does anyone know what the large new store going in over by the Coconut Marketplace in Kapaa is?

I'm not sure about the Safeway either, but I think you may be referring to the new Long's drugstore. Not sure when it will be done.

ILuvParis Oct 4, 2014 11:50 am

Originally Posted by bpratt (Post 23532210)
Anyone know? I know construction is underway but no idea when it's scheduled to open.

Thanks
Bob

No time soon. They haven't started building anything. They're still pushing dirt around. :) I can't wait. It's a long drive to Kapaa (from Poipu).

CL87 Oct 4, 2014 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 23626111)
No time soon. They haven't started building anything. They're still pushing dirt around. :) I can't wait. It's a long drive to Kapaa (from Poipu).

Not true.

Quite a lot has been done. All the planning permits and some construction.

Because of bureaucracy, it takes a lot of effort to start a project. Just because you don't see cash registers and lights turned on doesn't mean that "they haven't started building anything."

bpratt Oct 4, 2014 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 23626111)

Exactly my reason! Right now I stop at Costco on the way from the airport to Poipu and get everything else at Big Save in Koloa, but I'd love to be able to do Costco and Safeway and skip Big Save entirely. It doesn't sound like they'll be open by the time I'm there in November though :-(

Bob

ILuvParis Oct 5, 2014 2:11 am

Originally Posted by CL87 (Post 23627125)
Not true.

Quite a lot has been done. All the planning permits and some construction.

Because of bureaucracy, it takes a lot of effort to start a project. Just because you don't see cash registers and lights turned on doesn't mean that "they haven't started building anything."

I don't doubt any of that - other than construction you can actually see. Don't forget - they also created an intersection, turning lane and a stop light, all of which lead to the construction fence and were completed close to (?) a year ago. I was there a couple of weeks ago and didn't see anything but fence, dirt and machinery. I'm glad to hear they've made a lot of progress since. ;)

Originally Posted by pbratt
Exactly my reason! Right now I stop at Costco on the way from the airport to Poipu and get everything else at Big Save in Koloa, but I'd love to be able to do Costco and Safeway and skip Big Save entirely. It doesn't sound like they'll be open by the time I'm there in November though :-(

They definitely will not be open in November. You'll have to pick up the turkey in Kapaa or the BS (my affectionate term for the Big Save). ;)

beckoa Oct 10, 2014 1:27 am

Will be interesting to see how far this has come- I'll be by in about a week :D, not that I really buy anything at a Safeway in Hawaii :p

If its not at Costco I'll find it at Foodland/Sack n Save or some other local joint.

ILuvParis Oct 13, 2014 11:44 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 23654832)
Will be interesting to see how far this has come- I'll be by in about a week :D, not that I really buy anything at a Safeway in Hawaii :p

If its not at Costco I'll find it at Foodland/Sack n Save or some other local joint.

Well, you can at least provide us with an update. :)

And, as far as I know, if the alternative is Foodland, it's only about 500 feet closer to Poipu than the Safeway (the one that's actually open) - not saving much driving time. :D

beckoa Nov 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 23670340)
Well, you can at least provide us with an update. :)

And, as far as I know, if the alternative is Foodland, it's only about 500 feet closer to Poipu than the Safeway (the one that's actually open) - not saving much driving time. :D

Alright- I got a PM reminder on this ;)

From what I saw preliminary construction has started with the structure- but the road is thoroughly torn up.

Most is obscured by a wall of black plastic.

And I passed it at night most times too :o

beckoa Nov 22, 2014 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by bree22 (Post 23595497)

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg (Post 23551725)

I'm not sure about the Safeway either, but I think you may be referring to the new Long's drugstore. Not sure when it will be done.

Longs looked pretty close to being done. Signage was up and parking lot was paved- and this is from a month ago so they may be moved in by now. Also seemed some areas were on clearance in the store to reduce inventory.

cawhite Nov 24, 2014 5:55 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 23883817)
Longs looked pretty close to being done. Signage was up and parking lot was paved- and this is from a month ago so they may be moved in by now. Also seemed some areas were on clearance in the store to reduce inventory.

It opened earlier this month, just before Veterans' Day.

beckoa Nov 29, 2014 1:38 am

Originally Posted by cawhite (Post 23888816)

Looked like it was really close... wonder why they moved? For all the CY biz I guess :o

Merlin666 Nov 29, 2014 2:34 am

Originally Posted by cawhite (Post 23888816)

Just walked over to the new Longs ... it's clean and uncluttered but nothing to write home about.

ILuvParis Nov 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Merlin666 (Post 23913436)
Just walked over to the new Longs ... it's clean and uncluttered but nothing to write home about.

Longs? Clean and uncluttered? That won't last.

BTW, still not sure about the Safeway. Drove by yesterday, and there are two buildings up, but neither of them looks big enough to be the Safeway. IIRC, a Petco and Walgreen's are going to be there too. I'll try a different angle next time I'm by there.