Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Maui departure day activities (post check-out)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards

I am going to OGG for the first time this winter with my wife, child and my parents. My parents will be staying for an extra 4 days after my wife and I leave.

My question is that given my mom and dad have a late departure (around 23:00) from OGG, are there are any tours or other activities that I can arrange for them after they check out of their accommodations? I am worried that they will just check out at noon and then go sit in the airport all day, so I'd like to prevent that from happening by finding something interesting for them to do.

Normally I'd just extend their stay an extra night, but their hotel is sold out for that night, and other accommodations in the area are ludicrously expensive for what would basically amount to a day-use.

Given how many flights leave OGG at night, I thought there might be a niche industry of tours geared to people with time on their hands before departure... I would be grateful if anyone could offer some advice. The ideal would be some sort of several hour long bus tour, perhaps to the east side of the island... they're not into golf and they are not up for action stuff.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:00 pm

Many hotels will extend stay till around 4:00 or give you a small room to use, many timeshares also have a lounge to wait and showers after spending day at beach/pool. Then a nice dinner and only then to airport
No need to wait at airport if there isnt a tour or activity that they are interested
maybe take a tour of the island?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
With a departure that late I would pay for another night to have access to the room.

The flights to the east coast usually leave late at night and I should leave the hotel by 6 or 7pm, and I pay for the room for the night. It just makes the day easier and more relaxed.

I did the hospitality room a few times and decidedly do not like it. All it amounts to is a place to take a shower and change.

Did you try the Hampton Inn near the airport? It's usually not that expensive, and a 23:00 hour flight is really late in the day.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!

Plan A would definitely be to find some sort of tour that they could take to fill up their afternoon. I'm going to look into that and see what I can find, and I'd be grateful for any suggestions

If that doesn't work, then we'll probably look at renting a room for a night (assuming that something can be found at a reasonable price... looking at trivago right now, I'm blown away by the $400 3* rooms on the market in OGG). And if all else fails, I'll encourage them to use the hospitality room and then go for dinner.

(Given the number of late night flights departing from OGG, I'm surprised there isn't more of a cottage industry of entertaining the captives between check-out time and departure!)
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
There's a mall near the airport with a movie theatre. We had dinner there, did some shopping and saw a movie. We found that the first time we were there with our kids 15 years or so ago. Not sure what it was called or if it's still there.

One way to kill time but I guess you need to have a rental car to keep your luggage in.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:45 am

Everytime we go, we spend the last day in Paia, and sometimes drive to Makawao to get some donuts on a stick from Komodo's for the flight home.

But seriously, go to Paia town and spend the time walking around all the neat shops and places to eat. Then, when you're done, it's a short 15 minute drive to the airport :-)
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Did you try the Hampton Inn near the airport? It's usually not that expensive, and a 23:00 hour flight is really late in the day.
I think you mean the Courtyard. There is no Hampton on Maui.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Yes, I probably did get them confused.

I stayed there after I arrived at nearly 11pm. It was close, clean, and convenient, as well as reasonably priced.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:40 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
How about a Haleakala sunset tour?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
It would be helpful if you could tell us where your current lodging is booked. A number of opportunities depend on how far they (you) have to drive after check out to the airport.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maui Time
It would be helpful if you could tell us where your current lodging is booked. A number of opportunities depend on how far they (you) have to drive after check out to the airport.
The parents are spending their last few days in the area at the Maui Beach Vacation Club in Kihei.

If it matters at all, they aren't planning to get a rental car (I'm the rental car driver but I'm leaving a few days ahead of them) but there is still time to convince them to get one... this way they can follow allbrosca's suggestion and maybe drive themselves somewhere and just store the bags in the car.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LiquidHonesty
Everytime we go, we spend the last day in Paia, and sometimes drive to Makawao to get some donuts on a stick from Komodo's for the flight home.

But seriously, go to Paia town and spend the time walking around all the neat shops and places to eat. Then, when you're done, it's a short 15 minute drive to the airport :-)
I would end the trip with an early dinner at Mama's Fish House. There is also a great beach just before one gets to Paia town on the way from the airport, or if one wishes to watch world class windsurfing and kite boarding, Ho'okipa, which is a few miles past Mama's which is itself a few miles past Paia, is the finest spot on the planet for these activities.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Yes, I realize this is an old thread, but I'm going to be in a similar situation in early June. I'm staying in Kihei with an 8:45 PM departure and 10 AM checkout. Its an AirBNB and I've requested a 3PM checkout (for additional fee), but don't know if it will be granted yet.

Any new advice since 2014? We will only be there 3 nights and our first time in Maui. Yes, 3 nights isn't enough, but I had a $900 Delta Travel Credit Voucher that was about to expire and I don't have many vacation days to spare.

Is there anywhere to take a shower before departure? I was in a similar situation on Oahu several years ago and found a beach with a freshwater shower I was able to use after my final snorkeling trip.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:40 am
Original Poster

For what it's worth, due to medical issues my parents ended up leaving before I did on that trip, so I ended up being the one with time to kill between checkout and departure. However, I had a rental car so it was a breeze... we went up Haleakala and then drove to Paia for dinner and a little walk around. After that we headed to the airport.

With a car it's not an issue at all, but I could see it being a hassle without one. In that case I would probably take @allbrosca 's advice and go to the nearby mall for dinner and a movie since it's a short trip to the airport from there.

I'm going back to Maui in January and I'm probably just going to do the same thing... go for an interesting drive, have dinner, and head to the airport a little early (AC lines at OGG are nuts).

I'm not sure about showers but I could have used one... I remember it was quite humid in the terminal while waiting for boarding. I felt pretty gross by the time I got on the plane.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I was able to confirm 7PM checkout for an additional fee of $60.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.